Have I Created A Monster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNJC

Reaction score
I was bottling the other day when I ran out of ordinary white sugar. I decided to use caster sugar as this is just a finer sugar right ?

Today (4 days later) something just dawned on me, have I crated 60 bottle bombs? Will the finer sugar mean there is more sugar in the bottles and hence KABUMB!

Also what are the risks with exploding bottles, I can store them in the shed in a spot that if they do blow they shouldn't cause too much damage, but is there a danger of them going off in someone's hand ?

TIA,
JC

JNJC said:
I was bottling the other day when I ran out of ordinary white sugar. I decided to use caster sugar as this is just a finer sugar right ?

Today (4 days later) something just dawned on me, have I crated 60 bottle bombs? Will the finer sugar mean there is more sugar in the bottles and hence KABUMB!

Also what are the risks with exploding bottles, I can store them in the shed in a spot that if they do blow they shouldn't cause too much damage, but is there a danger of them going off in someone's hand ?

TIA,
JC

You could open one every few days and see...If you open a beer after 2 days and it is fully carbed you have a problem. But I think the leading cause of bottle bombs is bottling while the beer is not yet done fermenting.

Did you measure your sugar by weight or volume? If by weight you should be just fine (assuming 4-5 oz of sugar).

Corn sugar is probably the most common sugar to use for priming sugar, does not give the cidery off=flavor that table sugar does.

Perfect example of where measuring by volume can get you into trouble - hopefully you measured by weight.

You may be fine, or you may have bottle bombs, it all depends on how much sugar you actually put in there, so we can't really say without that information. But as RICLARK says, if you're worried about it, opening bottles occasionally to keep an eye on it is a good plan.

Cane sugar vs corn sugar regarding "cidery" taste is really over rated, especially for bottling.

If you measured by volume can you weigh the amount you used now and post that weight back to us? We can then tell you the vol of co2 expected in the bottle. Actually I have some here, I think. (Known as berry sugar here). I could weigh it for you if you tell me how much you used.

I used a priming scoop. I bottled into 375ml bottles so I used the smaller side of the measure. When I get home this evening I'll weight a scoop and post the weight.

IF these things turn out to be volatile are they only risky before they are refrigerated ? Will refrigeration stop the build up of CO or are they likely to go off in someones had as they open them ?

Thanks for the replies,
JC

Get another barrel and bulk prime. So much easier. Only one measure and you can use different sized bottles no worries :)

Hi Guys,

I didn't have anything accurate enough to weight the sugar and the priming measure doesn't say what the volume is. The best I could come up with was to fill the measure with water and transfer that to a small measure I had. It's was just under 5ml or 0.165 fl oz. Do you reckon I have over primed.

If I have over-primed are they only risky before they are refrigerated ? Will refrigeration stop the build up of CO or are they likely to go off in someone's hand as they open them ?

Thanks,
JC

Should only be a risk for a few weeks at most...once the remaining yeast have consumed whatever sugar is in there, carbonation stops.

As long as your shed isn't prone to major temp changes I'd put them in there for now, if it's not heated and/or cooled, I'd stick 'em in a box in the back of a closet or something. Just keep checking 'em once in a while to make sure nothing exploded. As was said before, open one in a few days to check it.

Keep us posted

Hi, everyone. This is probably a ridiculous question, but when we say "bottle bombs," do we mean there's so much pressure in the bottle that the glass cracks and, oh crap, there's beer on the floor and in the closet.

Or, do we mean "everyone run and dive into a corner! those bottles over there may explode and send lethal shrapnel whizzing through the air ala grenades."

I've always wondered this.

I think "Bottle bombs" are in between your two scenarios. You could have one blow up on the table in front of you and not get hurt (I've heard stories) on the other hand I imagine you could have one blow up and you get blinded. I think it would be hard to get killed by one but anything is possible. (Haven't heard any stories of injury from bottle bombs yet)

Just thought I post a quick update to this thread. Over three weeks have passed since I bottled and I am glad to report that nothing exploded and a quick taste of the beer suggests that the batch is just fine. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
JC

JNJC said:
Just thought I post a quick update to this thread. Over three weeks have passed since I bottled and I am glad to report that nothing exploded and a quick taste of the beer suggests that the batch is just fine. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
JC
Thanks for posting an update. That's how we learn.

Back