What's your biggest non brewing hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sickness.

Surfing/bodysurfing, unicycling, photography (mostly film, medium and large format), freediving/spearfishing, scuba, audio, fly fishing (mostly saltwater), fish keeping, boating, kayaking, ill stop there...

It's actually hard for me to think of my "hobbies" because they are so ingrained in my life. If we get a NorEaster and there are going to be waves for two days, I don't make a conscious choice to get out of work and go surfing... it just happens.

I notice you are in Portland. Do you whitewater kayak? I live in Ashland and have been meaning to paddle some rivers up in your area. If you're ever interested in coming down this way to paddle the Rogue or Smith let me know. Also, drinking a booty beer isn't as bad when it's with homebrew.

Man I wish but it's all flat water for me at the moment. I picked up a white water boat (for free) on craigslist but it's just a shell and it's pretty hammered so for now I'm stuck with the calm waters. Not to hijack this thread but you might check out the Kayak Portland meetup group if you haven't yet. There are some cool trips on there regularly. PM me for more info or if you're ever headed up this way to paddle.

I've been producing electronic music for about 17 years now as hautlle. I tinker with electronics/computers a lot and have built a couple of my own MIDI controllers.

Cooking - It is a great creative release. My wife does not cook (or I do not like her cooking), so I cook everyday for my wife & kids.

home automation; I use Homeseer to control my home [lights, HVAC, phones, cameras, & security] It is an addicting hobby just like brewing.

tinkering in general. I cannot stand it when something does not work properly. I am uncontrollably compelled to at least investigate the problem. Hopefully I learn something from the process.

I have a sickness.

Surfing/bodysurfing, unicycling, photography (mostly film, medium and large format), freediving/spearfishing, scuba, audio, fly fishing (mostly saltwater), fish keeping, boating, kayaking, ill stop there...

It's actually hard for me to think of my "hobbies" because they are so ingrained in my life. If we get a NorEaster and there are going to be waves for two days, I don't make a conscious choice to get out of work and go surfing... it just happens.

Dude, I want your job! I have to make up fake family members deaths to get a day off.

I like cooking and learning about different cooking methods. Got big into smoking/bbq for a while. Learned a bit about cast iron cooking and use it almost exclusively now. Found an old rusty carbon steel wok at a garage sale for $2. Cleaned it up, seasoned it, and dove into wok cooking for a while. Other than cooking Im into gardening, shooting, fishing, ice fishing, snowboarding, and remodeling out house. Most of all I love spending time with my 2yo daughter. She's the best and I can't wait to get her into everything!

Bowling ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388428101.957403.jpg

It goes in cycles and varies between Hiking, Bicycling, Camping, Motorcycle, Photography, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Canoeing, Kayaking...

So right now, my biggest non brewing hobby is: BICYCLING.
Even during the winter, I'm indoors on a bicycle trainer (CompuTrainer 3D by Racermate).

2009Highlander.jpg

I've been producing electronic music for about 17 years now as hautlle. I tinker with electronics/computers a lot and have built a couple of my own MIDI controllers.

Nice. I liked your "Feel Good Track of the Year". the beginning of "Mega Man III" really reminds me of Aphex Twin. When I'm not listening to black metal I'm listening to electronic music, mainly drum n bass like TeeBee, Black Sun Empire, Boards of Canada...
I also really like newer Skinny Puppy, but that's more in the industrial vein I think.

Bicycling really isn't so much of a hobby as a way of life for me. Like you drive your cars, I ride my bike. That's not to say I don't drive once in a while or ride along with my girlfriend when we go somewhere. But I still bike a lot for recreation in the warmer months. Right now, it's point A to point B.

Nice. I liked your "Feel Good Track of the Year". the beginning of "Mega Man III" really reminds me of Aphex Twin. When I'm not listening to black metal I'm listening to electronic music, mainly drum n bass like TeeBee, Black Sun Empire, Boards of Canada...
I also really like newer Skinny Puppy, but that's more in the industrial vein I think.

Bicycling really isn't so much of a hobby as a way of life for me. Like you drive your cars, I ride my bike. That's not to say I don't drive once in a while or ride along with my girlfriend when we go somewhere. But I still bike a lot for recreation in the warmer months. Right now, it's point A to point B.

Right on man, thanks for taking the time to listen! Glad you enjoyed. I wouldn't quite call BoC drum and bass, but that's neither here nor there :cross: I've been into the experimental side of electronic music since I was about 12/13. BoC, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, etc... Basically old school WARP Records. They're the ones that turned me on to electronic music and inspired me to start producing, but I've played the drums since 5th grade. The crazy cut up beats were what really got me into all of that stuff!

Playing my small assortment of guitars/amps, mountainbiking, my guns (although the guns aren't really a "hobby" - self and home defense, but, hey, they're fun to take to the range now and again)...my kids are pretty grown, so I have a bit more me time these days

My Jeep. Between that and brewing I have a hard time keeping any cash in my pockets

When not brewing the BBQ, RV, Boat, Tractor and grandkids keep me busy.

Right on man, thanks for taking the time to listen! Glad you enjoyed. I wouldn't quite call BoC drum and bass, but that's neither here nor there :cross: I've been into the experimental side of electronic music since I was about 12/13. BoC, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, etc... Basically old school WARP Records. They're the ones that turned me on to electronic music and inspired me to start producing, but I've played the drums since 5th grade. The crazy cut up beats were what really got me into all of that stuff!

Yeah, I wouldn't call them dnb either. Just something I listen to. Haven't been able to get into Squarepusher. Right now, TeeBee is what I'm really into for dnb. "The Legacy" is dead on for what I love in dnb. What got me into dnb is Goldie's "Timeless". That first track is awesome.
Do you play that dnb stuff on drums? I've got Johnny Rabb's jungle/drum n bass book, it's great. I don't play much out of it like I should though. I do mostly death/black metal drumming. But, when I'm not in the mood for the aural assault of metal, dnb is where it's at.
Music might actually be my biggest non-brewing hobby.

Cheers!

There are several other hobbies I have, and it's hard to rate them.

Shooting black powder guns, making the balls/conicals/bullets for them (casting lead), making the various other things needed for them, backpacking, hunting, fishing, music, day dreaming, driving somewhere far, especially small towns, and BBQing. If only I could learn to play my bass it would be listed too… My 4 yr old has always wanted to come play when I did, which made it impossible.

Dude, I want your job! I have to make up fake family members deaths to get a day off.

If you only knew. I do the manufacturing for a small company and everything is on my own time. Go in when I want, leave when I want, bill my own hours, etc etc. As long as the products get shipped I'm in the clear.

my hobbies so far (cant count homebrewing yet as i havent done it!) are indoor hydroponic gardening, riding my atv, creating atv ride videos.

can't post pics of the hydroponic garden, might get in trouble on here lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tae Kwon Do. In a little over a month my entire family will be Black Belts!

I'm a fiddler, old time and bluegrass

Fly fishing for trout and salmon

Anything computer related. I am a network admin, and have been a programmer and web designer as well. Plus video games :D

Amtgard
is my biggest it had lead my to a lot of other hobbies
1236950_10151638126048062_365975256_n.jpg

Metal/ armor making( not my best work only pic I could find)
886776_613824745332221_1985133369_o.jpg

FX make up
1002240_538874696160560_406110037_n.jpg

Sculpting
1237079_563814260333270_1934467633_n.jpg

Foam smiting
558895_10151631915527666_1636506837_n.jpg

Sewing
1276921_566205226760840_1286476448_o.jpg

Video making
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fAwX0qFR-5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video games
PnP games
Technology
Reading
Movies
Learning new hobbies going to be takeing up airbrushing soon that is if the mail man ever delivers my brush err lol

Brewing is actually my 3rd most expensive hobby

1. collecting/shooting firearms
2. reloading
3. brewing.

SCUBA Diving is my passion. People are amazed at the number of shipwrecks and maritime history off NJ. Also, my wife and I have recently gotten a little bit into target shooting.

Back