Jester King Viking Metal Clone - Beer and Wine Journal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is one of my favorite (If not my favorite) beers at the moment. The great guys at Jester King released the recipe for their Gotlandsdricka with the extra steps to sour it and turn it into Viking Metal. Viking Metal is essentially a sour/wild version of Gotlandsdricka that is aged in Gin Barrels.

IMO, Gotlandsdricka is a great beer, however far too smokey with nothing to cut that intense flavor. This is where Viking Metal shines. Viking Metal's sour/gin characteristics turn Gotlandsdricka into a dry and sessionable wonder. I'm not suggesting sessionable in the ABV department, I'm referring to the fact that the beer can be consumed for an entire session without the smoke getting too much in the way. I can drink this beer all day and night!

It is also my opinion that this beer is unlike ANYTHING you've ever tried. I've yet to find anything commercially available that is anywhere near this style. I would venture to say that anyone with access to this beer NEEDS to try it at least once. Jester King definitely has found something that is truly unique and sets them apart.

Thanks to the guys at Jester King and Beer & Wine Journal for sharing this with all of us (http://beerandwinejournal.com/gotlandsdricka-clone/).

Note, this recipe is designed for achieving 85% efficiency. Make sure to adjust for your particular environment. Also note, this doesn't match up 100% against the specs on their website, but at least they are giving something away

583.png

Recipe Info

Description
This rendition of Gotlandsdricka—an ancient Swedish farmhouse ale that was once the beer of Vikings—was brewed with birchwood smoked malt (smoked in house), juniper and Myrica gale, then aged in Old Tom gin barrel for several months with wild yeast and souring bacteria. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally conditioned.

OG 1.057
FG 0.999

9.5 lb Pilsner Malt
3 lb. 14 oz. Weyermann Rauchmalz (beechwood smoked malt)
3 lb 9oz. birchwood smoked Weyermann Organic Pilsner malt (*2)
13 oz. flaked rye
9.4 oz. Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat malt

Hops and Other Spices (for 27 IBU total)
East Kent Goldings hops (27 IBU)
1.25 oz. (at 5.4% alpha acids), boiled for 60 min
0.20 oz. juniper berries, at whirlpool
0.42 oz. sweet gale, at whirlpool
Wyeast 3711 French Saision yeast
(make a 1.5-qt. yeast starter)

PROCEDURE
Mash at 154 °F. Boil wort for 60 minutes. Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F. Allow temperature to free rise after 48 hours.

Inoculate with Brettanomyces and lactic acid producing bacteria and age in a gin barrel. As an alternative to barrel aging, soak oak cubes for 4–7 days in gin. Add about 2.5 oz. (71 g) of oak cubes to the fermenter 3–4 days before bottling.

I am not far from brewing this I'm just waiting on the gale and juniper berries ........has anyone tried to brew this if so any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Bumping this thread. Thinking about brewing this. Anyone that has made this, which brett and bacteria did you all use to sour it? Lacto and Pedio I'm sure, but curious if you bought each individually or if you bought a blend and then which brett strain did you use. Also, hows it tasting so far? Sounds like a great recipe.

Back