Steps for using 11 lbs of pears golden strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
saw a beer that I want to make that has 11 lbs of pears. What's do you have to do to fruit in beer. And 11 lbs seems like a lot for 5 gallons

benzy4010 said:
saw a beer that I want to make that has 11 lbs of pears. What's do you have to do to fruit in beer. And 11 lbs seems like a lot for 5 gallons

11lbs seems high to me. I believe it's generally about a pound of fruit per gallon of beer.

But that Said I don't believe pears have a very strong flavor to them so perhaps the recipe is using 11lbs to compensate. Or could the recipe be for a 10gallon batch?
To use them in beer most add their fruit to the secondary. After the primary fermentation is done.
Some will freeze the fruit first to break up cell structure. Then thaw and purée them and add to secondary.

I'm. No expert by any means. But that should at least give you somewhere to start. If I've led you wrong someone more knowledgeable on the topic will be along to correct me.

Back