Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/why-i-hate-ipas-thrillist-nation

Brother sent me this link. The guy makes some points about what he likes, but also some weird comments about "brown beer" and other things. Generally sounds like he tried a few IPA's (or what he thought were IPA's ) and he didn't like them.

I stopped taking this article seriously when I realized he's one of those guys who sticks with adjunct-laden fizzy yellow piss-water

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I stopped taking this article seriously when I realized he's one of those guys who sticks with adjunct-laden fizzy yellow piss-water

Not for nothing and im sure I might get burned for this, but i have seen, especially within the realm of this website and forum that the more "adjunct laden" a beer is, the more hype and adoration it gets from
People. Constantly I am seeing people pining over the latest chocolate, vanilla, snickers
Infused barrel aged funky stout.

I enjoy trying different things but I think PERSONALLY that this "new age of beer" is going a little too fast and almost on the borderline of not being beer anymore and more like a mixed alcoholic beverage. If i want a chocolate vanilla coffee and candybar alcoholic beverage ill make myself a white russian with some snickers in a blender.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I personally find adjunct laden beers like BMC more "beer like" than some of the crazier things some micro brews are putting out. Quality and flavor having nothing to do with my rant. I Just an observation and opinion of mine.

I say everyone just drink what you like and don't give anyone else crap for drinking what they like.
As far as that article goes, it's pretty obvious he's going for shock value.

I say everyone just drink what you like and don't give anyone else crap for drinking what they like.
As far as that article goes, it's pretty obvious he's going for shock value.

I agree 110% different brews for different crews.

I was just trying to derail the thread for a few pages by saying nothing funny and talking about something i did not overhear, or even say out loud.

Thanks for being all Level headed and rational about my post.

:mug:

I agree 110% different brews for different crews.

I was just trying to derail the thread for a few pages by saying nothing funny and talking about something i did not overhear, or even say out loud.

Thanks for being all Level headed and rational about my post.

:mug:

If you want to derail, we can do that too. ;) Hold on a second while I go pour myself another imperial snickers stout. :D

I was going to try a recipe I had found, and it called for 6 oz of amber LME. Since I never use LME, I didn't want to buy a lot and I asked the shop guys if they sold by specific weight. He told me they did, and so I asked for 6 oz.

The smart ass behind him said, "6 ounces? Hahahahahahaha! 6 ounces? Umm...6 ounces isn't going to do anything! Just leave it out."

I mentioned color, being that the grain bill was exclusively 2-row, but he insisted it would have zero effect. I was tempted to open BeerAlchemy on my phone and show him the change with and without, but I didn't bother. I did ask him how long he had been doing all-grain, and he told me he only did extract brewing.

Then they tried to sell me regular vinyl tubing when I needed high temp tubing and asked for silicone.

This is probably one of the largest homebrew supply stores in the state.

Out of curiosity, how much diff foes it make to add 6 oz of amber LME in a 5 gallon batch?

Not for nothing and im sure I might get burned for this, but i have seen, especially within the realm of this website and forum that the more "adjunct laden" a beer is, the more hype and adoration it gets from
People. Constantly I am seeing people pining over the latest chocolate, vanilla, snickers
Infused barrel aged funky stout.

I enjoy trying different things but I think PERSONALLY that this "new age of beer" is going a little too fast and almost on the borderline of not being beer anymore and more like a mixed alcoholic beverage. If i want a chocolate vanilla coffee and candybar alcoholic beverage ill make myself a white russian with some snickers in a blender.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I personally find adjunct laden beers like BMC more "beer like" than some of the crazier things some micro brews are putting out. Quality and flavor having nothing to do with my rant. I Just an observation and opinion of mine.

Have no worries. You are not alone.

I read this today.
"I say everyone just drink what you like and don't give anyone else crap for drinking what they like."

bwahahahhaa!!! of course I'm gonna make fun of beer y'all like! it's what I do!:D

It's the "Red Cactus Bar & Grill" restaurant, not a saloon. It's the newest place in town, and they're earnestly working at being a bit upscale without pricing themselves out of the market. But that's a fine line, in the middle of the desert three miles from Arizona. You should've been impressed they had Blue Moon and Guiness....;)

Next time you come through, stop at Discount liquor - especially if you're getting a motel room for the night. It looks almost as seedy as it sounds, but don't let that put you off; it has a shockingly wide selection of booze for a small-town store.

Head for the small coolers flanking the doorway to the back room, and you'll find beers from Arrogant Bastard to smoked porters, to Belgian imports - including several lambics, Goolden Drak, Bokrijks Kruikenbier and Hoogstraten Poorter (the last two in stoneware bottles that I save and reuse).

It's not as cheap as Bevmo, in spite of the name. But after all, it is the middle of the desert...:)

I gave the owners one of my homebrews a couple of days ago; haven't been back by to see what they thought of it.

update: I dropped in to buy a beer this afternoon, and asked the female half of the Syrian couple who own it if they had tried my homebrew yet. She said that between her husband's doctor appointment, being busy and having relatives visiting, they hadn't had a chance to sit down and properly enjoy it.

Then she said something that tickled me: "my brother-in-law held up your bottle and asked me, "what kind of beer is this?" And I told him, "that is very special, because it is a hand-made beer."

'Hand-made' beer? I like the sound of that. Sounds a little more artisan and upscale than 'homebrew'...:)

Then she said something that tickled me: "my brother-in-law held up your bottle and asked me, "what kind of beer is this?" And I told him, "that is very special, because it is a hand-made beer."

'Hand-made' beer? I like the sound of that. Sounds a little more artisan and upscale than 'homebrew'...:)

You're right, that does have a nice ring to it.

I read this today.

"I say everyone just drink what you like and don't give anyone else crap for drinking what they like."

bwahahahhaa!!! of course I'm gonna make fun of beer y'all like! it's what I do!:D

Just made a "brown and tan" variation using homebrewed dunkelweizen and rye pale ale. Judge all you want, it was delicious!

This probably more painfully bizarre than funny. Drinking down at my local Vet's Club the other day, where I try not to mention or talk about homebrewing (as you can imagine, it's an older-BMC crowd, very suspicious/superstitious bunch), but I start talking with this younger guy I've known for a while and he seems to have a genuine interest in homebrewing, the equipment, the ingredients, the whole process, what kind of beers I brew- how they'd compare to craft beers he's had. He's throwing out a lot of the usual names, Sierra Nevada, Rogue, Dogfish Head, Flying Dog, Lagunitas, Founder's etc. He's being really humble and keeps saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, but he's a lot more knowledgeable than the average dude I run into at a VFW or an American Legion. So, we're having a good conversation and this semi-obnoxious girl that's always down there with her degenerate Bud Light-drunk husband comes over to have a cigarette where we are and all she hears are the words “beer” and “home” in the same sentence. She gets really excited and tells me that if I like “home-made” beer I have to come over to their house because they make “home-made” beer all the time. If you had any idea what these people are like, you'd be as blown away as I was. So, I ask her if they brew all grain or extract and she gives me this weird look and says, “What are you talking about? We make our own beer at home! We've got a Mr. Beer!” Now, I should have just walked away, but my buddy and I were really buzzed, so I had to go somewhere with this. Now, I have nothing against Mr. Beer, and I know some people that really got into homebrewing because of it, but I've never used a Mr. Beer though I think I've got a decent idea how it works, so I say, “Yeah, you know that stuff that comes in the can?” (thinking malt extract) And she stops me and says, “No, we don't put our beer in cans- cans are bad for beer! Cans make beer go bad! We put it in plastic Mr. Beer bottles!” Baffled, and thinking I can come back to this later, I try to keep things as simple as possible, and try to explain all grain brewing, but she's dumbfounded and I can almost see her brain inside her head shutting down, so I start talking about extract brewing and she shuts me up, telling me, “You can't make up your own ingredients for beer! You have to buy it! You can't use cereal like Grape Nuts or granola!” At this point, I realize that I'm not going to get too much further, so I say, “You should stop over the next time I brew, I can show you that it's really easy to make great beer and better beer than you can make in a Mr. Beer,” but she flips out and keeps shouting “Mr. Beer is the only way to make home-made beer! That's why they sell it! I buy my husband a different kind every year for Christmas! Go online! You can make any kind of beer with Mr. Beer! You can make American beer and Canadian beer and even German beer!” At this point, I'm all done, but my buddy speaks up and says, “Oh man, German beer. That stuff makes me sick. Gives me a headache.” And he goes back inside. I follow him in and we're having a chuckle about the girl and I tell him that I don't have much of my homebrew ready to drink, but I'll bring him down what I've got, a couple bottles of my Pale Ale, and my Blonde. He looks at me kind of weird and I tell him the Blonde isn't that great, but my mother and her friends, who only ever drink Coors Light, really love the stuff and he just says with all seriousness, “Oh, no, man. Really, I can't drink that Blonde stuff, it kicks my ass, I wasn't kidding. And ales are bad news, I can't handle ale like you can. But I definitely want some of your beer when it's ready.”

It's funny when people talk about homebrew like it's a sub-category of a beer style. One day my boss was talking about a past co-worker, who was a homebrewer, and said "I can't drink homebrew, that stuff is just too strong for me". I guess if you've had one homebrew, you've had em all.

I understand that in the UK and most Commonwealth countries 'a pint of beer' is now as often as not just shorthand for half a liter. Go figure.

Nope. Well, not true for Australia at least. I wouldn't want to be working behind a bar in a pub trying to give Aussies a 500mL glass when they've asked for a Pint hahah.

I had *that* moment at a restaurant last night in Dallas while traveling. They had a local tap list so I asked the bartender about a few of them, since some of the descriptions were limited to just beer names or rotating taps.

After asking if they had any IPAs on tap she replied saying they had two. One from Houston that was a 'normal IPA' and one from Dallas that was a 'German IPA'. Ok, I'll bite.....I asked for a sample of both.

The 'German IPA' turned out to be a Belgian. Not sure it was even an IPA because the yeast was so dominant. When she came back and asked which one I liked I thought I would gently correct her so I said I liked the Houston one, and the other one was a Belgian.

She replied, "Right, German".

I let it go at that point. She was pretty nice and likely would have appreciated the correction but the place was busy and I just didn't want to be THAT guy.

The night before, my co-workers and I hit a sushi bar nearby and 4 beers were ordered. 3 Asahis and I ordered 'the Spring Bock' they had on tap. All 4 beers were served in FROZEN glasses. So much so that the light beers had ice in them at the top like a slushie.

I politely sent mine back and asked for it to come in a room temp glass. Not really funny, other than the beer slushies ;)

I never took it seriously and thought his summary was pretty funny:
"If the beer aisle is Mean Girls, IPAs are the cool ones, and I’m the sexually aggressive mathlete who never gets to bed Lindsay Lohan."

Out of curiosity, how much diff foes it make to add 6 oz of amber LME in a 5 gallon batch?

BeerColor.jpg

According to BeerTools: On the left 5 gallons made with 11 lbs. of Pale Malt. On the right 6 oz. of Amber LME added.

I think the homebrew shop guy was right in this case... just leave it out!

Back to topic... Funny things overheard about beer... I didn't think it was funny, but everyone at the table laughed when I recently ordered a beer (in a Mexican restaurant): "Room-temperature glass, no garnish, please!"

I had *that* moment at a restaurant last night in Dallas while traveling. They had a local tap list so I asked the bartender about a few of them, since some of the descriptions were limited to just beer names or rotating taps.

After asking if they had any IPAs on tap she replied saying they had two. One from Houston that was a 'normal IPA' and one from Dallas that was a 'German IPA'. Ok, I'll bite.....I asked for a sample of both.

The 'German IPA' turned out to be a Belgian. Not sure it was even an IPA because the yeast was so dominant. When she came back and asked which one I liked I thought I would gently correct her so I said I liked the Houston one, and the other one was a Belgian.

She replied, "Right, German".

I let it go at that point. She was pretty nice and likely would have appreciated the correction but the place was busy and I just didn't want to be THAT guy.

The night before, my co-workers and I hit a sushi bar nearby and 4 beers were ordered. 3 Asahis and I ordered 'the Spring Bock' they had on tap. All 4 beers were served in FROZEN glasses. So much so that the light beers had ice in them at the top like a slushie.

I politely sent mine back and asked for it to come in a room temp glass. Not really funny, other than the beer slushies ;)

Was the 'German IPA' actually Lakewood Hop Trapp? Thats the only Dallas beer that I think one could confuse those for. Though it is a Belgian IPA, I agree that the yeast comes out more than the hops.

BeerColor.jpg

According to BeerTools: On the left 5 gallons made with 11 lbs. of Pale Malt. On the right 6 oz. of Amber LME added.

I think the homebrew shop guy was right in this case... just leave it out!

Back to topic... Funny things overheard about beer... I didn't think it was funny, but everyone at the table laughed when I recently ordered a beer (in a Mexican restaurant): "Room-temperature glass, no garnish, please!"

I see a noticeable difference in color from what you posted...did in BeerAlchemy as well.

I see a noticeable difference in color from what you posted...did in BeerAlchemy as well.

But does colour really matter enough to include 6 oz of LME?
My question would be what difference in taste, given that Amber LME is still most likely 90% base malt that would be the equivilant to >1 oz of probably 40L

I shared my first batch of homebrew ('Merican Amber) with my grandfather and he asked me whether it was a beer or an ale. I calmly said "well, its both"! He then told me I don't know what I am talking about.

:pipe:

I thought this was kinda funny. At a bar we go to a lot they have a bad habit of giving out ziegenbock when you ask for shiner. The waitress brings is our beer and we all taste it and knew the difference right away

I thought this was kinda funny. At a bar we go to a lot they have a bad habit of giving out ziegenbock when you ask for shiner. The waitress brings is our beer and we all taste it and knew the difference right away

How does that work? They hear bock and just grab the first one they see?

But does colour really matter enough to include 6 oz of LME?

My question would be what difference in taste, given that Amber LME is still most likely 90% base malt that would be the equivilant to >1 oz of probably 40L

When you're doing a clone, yes, color matters. The guy at the store wasn't "right." He was 100% wrong. The 6 oz DOES make a NOTICEABLE difference as proven by the very pictures posted in an effort to support the smart ass statement the guy made. He couldn't have been more wrong because he said it made no difference. I had money, I wanted to buy what they were selling, I had a legitimate reason for wanting to do so (although if I wanted to smear it all over my balls and twirl to Stevie Nicks songs, what's it to him), and I didn't ask for his advice.

It was humorous then, but now there are a few people who are trying to be "well, actually" nerds so badly that they're posting evidence that actually PROVES what I'm saying and yet arguing with me...and well...that belongs in the "pathetic things I heard about beer" thread.

And that's one visual I may never get out of my head

(although if I wanted to smear it all over my balls and twirl to Stevie Nicks songs, what's it to him

And that's one visual I may never get out of my head

Seriously! That is a suspiciously specific description! (not that there's anything wrong with that...takes all kinds, takes all kinds!)

I don't look at it as arguing,more like a phylosophical discussion. The one on the right had more golden color,& I think added a tad to the flavoe complexities as well. I've been experimenting with hybrid lagers like that with different amounts of various grains to get the old school beer flavor I've been searching for.

I don't look at it as arguing,more like a phylosophical discussion.

A phylosophical discussion? Is that where you debate the whether trees are wiser than, say, BMC drinkers?

As for philosophical discussions, it helps to recall that the word 'symposium' translates as 'drinking together', and while they were mostly drinking wine, I'm sure they would have welcomed a good ale as food for thought.

Debating the added small amount of malt isn't the same as tree hugger vs BMC drinkers,but whatever. Since the minor addition made a visual difference,in my experience,also adds to the complexity of the beer. One said the small addition didn't matter,but visually,it did indeed make a difference. I/we can't taste them,but I know from experience the flavor complexity would change a bit too.

I shared my first batch of homebrew ('Merican Amber) with my grandfather and he asked me whether it was a beer or an ale. I calmly said "well, its both"! He then told me I don't know what I am talking about.

:pipe:

well actually....how old is he? If he is about 600 he may be right. I am in the middle of reading the book "Hops" and it has some history in it that I found interesting. Before the use of hops other herbs were used. It was called Gruit Ale. Then when hops started to be used that was called hoppedbier. So for a few decades they were different in that ale did not have hops and beer did have hops. Anyhow, my two cents of useless trivia for the day.

Was the 'German IPA' actually Lakewood Hop Trapp? Thats the only Dallas beer that I think one could confuse those for. Though it is a Belgian IPA, I agree that the yeast comes out more than the hops.

Honestly, I don't know. I never did get the name, sorry.

...(although if I wanted to smear it all over my balls and twirk to Stevie Nicks songs, what's it to him), and I didn't ask for his advice.

FTFY :D
I all honesty coulour is right down on my cloning list of atributes to nail - not that I ever try to actually clone a specific beer anyway.
I think I agreed with you the first time that he was wrong to blatently say it doesn't matter and my suggestion was that since he was already mashing some grains he should have suggested to increase the base malt a bit and add a bit of crystal. For closure I used HBD beer recipator and it seems like for the 11# base + 6 oz LME above you would equal approx 11# 6 oz base and 2 oz crystal 40L - So I would say that the amber LME is adding some flavour that the beer would be lacking without it.
Short story - LHBS should have sold the LME or offered an actual alternative

Not so much funny as bloody frustrating.

I was in a pub the other night which had a Uk brewed Stone Double IPA (they've done a collaborative brew with one of the UK breweries to offer a few of their recipes on cask over here).

I asked for a pint and the bar manager said "sorry it's 8.5% legally I can only sell you a half"

Behind him was a large poster promoting a deal on pitchers of cocktails stating 2 for £12 and double up on the shots for an extra £2 per pitcher, on a board on the bar was a buy it by the bottle deal on wine.

And my mate had just ordered a pint of 8.3% scrumpy cider without a problem.....

so, I asked for a 750 ml bottle (so just under a pint and a half here) of 13% merlot and one glass. This wasn't a problem other than the fact that I was much less stable on my legs when walking back to the bar to get that DIPA 1/2 later in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back