Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrangler83

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to dry hop an IPA I currently have in my secondary (no krausen left on top, so I assume fermentation is all or nearly complete). I have pellet cascade hops for dry hopping, which came in my extract kit. My questions are:
a) do you guys recommend using a hop bag for this? I've heard mixed reviews about using a bag (better utilization but messy and will have particles left over which make it into the bottle).
b) my hops have been in the freezer for about 3 weeks, so do I need to bring them up to room temp prior to adding?

1) If you're fermenting in a bucket, sure, go ahead and use a hop bag. Just make sure it's roomy enough for the hops to expand and get full contact w/ the liquid. Utilization is not really an issue because dryhopping doesn't add IBUs, merely aroma (and consequently, flavor). If you're in a carboy, just drop them in (I like to do it just after a co2 bubble to ensure when they hit the liquid they won't be introducing O2 into the beer). They'll drop out of suspension in about a week and you can use a hop bag over your racking cane, or as I do, just rack it carefully and you'll leave all your trub behind. If you can cold crash before this step, definitely do.

2)I don't have a definitive answer, but I don't bother. They pretty much will be the same temp as the beer within minutes of putting them in the fermenter.

Carboy or bucket, pellets or whole, I've always just thrown those suckers in there. No worries.

I wouldn't think you're going to do any damage to that large volume of brew straight from the freezer.

I skipped using hop socks on two batches with raw hops. Never again. Big mess,spilled strainer...oh hell no...

I skipped using hop socks on two batches with raw hops. Never again. Big mess,spilled strainer...oh hell no...

I put hop sock over my racking cane and dry whole hops are no problem. On one occasion the hops did clog the opening of the racking cane, but a minor wiggle of the cane got it free again. If you have a carboy you have no choice. Try getting a hopsock out of a carboy when it's full of dryhops that are saturated with beer!

(hint, don't really try. It SUCKS!).

It's always important when having this discussion to say whether you're speaking about buckets or carboys IMHO. Different challenges, advantages with each.

I don'y bother with carboys or better bottles. To hard to clean or get things in or out of. & big heavy glass is dangerous,especially at my age.

I don'y bother with carboys or better bottles. To hard to clean or get things in or out of. & big heavy glass is dangerous,especially at my age.

All plastic carboys for me. I don't find them very hard to clean personally. I like that I can see through them when racking so I can get the last bit of clear wort out while avoiding sediment. Personal preference stuff. I still ferment in a bucket if I'm out of carboys.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using a carboy currently. Sorry I did not specify. Sounds like the thing to do is to just throw them in and use a hop bag over my racking cane when transferring to the bottling bucket.:mug:

I never assume fermentation is complete. Hydrometer ratings are the only way to know for sure. Bubbling, krausen, dancing unicorns...nope...take an FG reading.

echoing what everyone else has said. I've done primary dry hopping, secondary and hop sock. secondary was my favorite but was the most pain having to strain to a secondary, sanitize and clean two carboys..just a lot of work overall.

I'm getting ready to dry hop an IPA I currently have in my secondary (no krausen left on top, so I assume fermentation is all or nearly complete). I have pellet cascade hops for dry hopping, which came in my extract kit. My questions are:
a) do you guys recommend using a hop bag for this? I've heard mixed reviews about using a bag (better utilization but messy and will have particles left over which make it into the bottle).
b) my hops have been in the freezer for about 3 weeks, so do I need to bring them up to room temp prior to adding?

I've never used a hop bag. I always dump them right into the carboy.

Hop bag....over the end of the racking cane...to prevent sucking up hops, trub, unicorns, whatever. Friggin genius.
Such a simple solution to the problem of unwanted stuff going into the secondary, bottling bucket, or keg.
Why didn't I think of that?!?!

I'm so glad I found this forum.

(Group hug)

It's easy to see we're heading for another stalemate with this conversational topic. If for nothing else,we are consistent as a group.:tank:

It's easy to see we're heading for another stalemate with this conversational topic. If for nothing else,we are consistent as a group.:tank:

Ha! I've actually heard the same type of disparity on multible brewing topics amongst pro brewers. Hey, if it works for you it's all good! :mug:

Latest posts

Back