East Coast Yeast 03 Farmhouse Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I was fortunate enough to swing by Trenton Homebrew on my way home from a wedding. I picked up some of this strain and it's going into a rye saison that I brewed up today.

Anyone else have experience with this yeast?

I wanted to get it, but ended up with his Saison Brasserie plus Brett Blend #1 in my rye saison. Interested to hear how it turns out.

I've used it twice! It's great! Though I think, ( as with the best of Saison strains), it does take time for the flavors to develop. The last batch I made was mainly just pils, though a bit of wheat and a smidge of munich were also in the mix. I aged in for a total of about 2 months then gave it about a month and a half'ish on 2oz's of hungarian med toast oak cubes. I bottled it in 750ml and 350ml bottles and corked it. So far, they've been in the bottle for about a month. I cracked on open this past saturday and it was great. Big 3' white rocky head that went down about a 1/4 inch and more or less stayed there the whole time, and definite lacing. The smell is very interesting,.... there's a faint wiff of some sort of a fruity, almost coriander'ish character, ( i'm guessing this is the brett?), a faint whiff of funk, some definite oaky notes, and a nice yeasty aroma I'd expect from a good saison. The first pour was golden and sediment free. It was good but I think the oak needs a little time to settle down, tasted a bit more like a golden strong ale to me than a saison. However, what I noted was that on the second pour when the sediment got stirred up, thaaaaaaaaat's where the saison flavor was hiding out. So good. That sort of odd, punch of spicy sour grapefruit came shining through. The only thing I'd do different next time was not use the 6%AA Spalt hops I had for the bittering addition, something just wasn't right in regards to them, though I'd think they should be fine. Definitely going to stick to Saaz, Tettnang or EKG's from here on.

Can't wait to pick up some more of this stuff.

I used Styrian Goldings and Strisslespalt hops in this brew. Everything smelled great going in and the fermentation smells fantastic. It went pretty fast to high krausen and then dropped back down by morning. There's an airlock on the fermentor now with some decent activity still. I think the highest the temp got was 75ish but possibly up to 80 during high krausen. I didn't get a temp reading at the highest activity because I was sleeping. The water bath temp was 73.5 when I checked Tuesday morning.

I mashed this at 147 for a while but then did a dextrinization step at 158. That should give the brett something to work slowly on for a few weeks till I'm happy with the gravity. I will also be bottling in lots of corked bottles but also in ceramic topped brown grolsch bottles.

Just stole a large pipette sample of the saison. It has a spicy banana scent and smells a lot of yeast. The taste is on the dry spicy dry side thanks to the rye malt. It very much reminds me of a fresh witbier at this point. It should finish out and condition quite nice. There is also a slight juicy fruit type flavor which is quite enjoyable. I can't wait to get this in bottles.

I bottled up a beer made with this strain a few weeks ago. It was in primary for about 1 month, before I bottled it. Went from 1.064 to 1.005 in under 2 weeks. The brett was pretty mellow at first, the the longer it sits in the bottles, the more it comes out. I got plenty of the tropical fruit going on, but there is definitely some funk creeping out in the back. I am very curious to see how this ages. I gave some yeast too some other guys in my club, so I am eager to hear what they have to say. I am thinking of using the heat of July/august to my advantage, and making another saison, perhaps a dark one, for the holidays.

Well it's been a month and a half since brewday and my rye saison is down to 1.004. I may bottle within a week. The brett may keep going a bit further but I am bottling in heavy bottles so I'm not too terribly concerned if a get a little extra fermentation from the brett which I will figure for. I will bottle for 2.5 volumes with sugar expecting at least 1 volume from continued fermentation. This method has been working for me very well.

Next up the exact same hops and base recipe with the rye swapped out for some spelt.

rye saison... mmmm... love this board. what temp did you mash in at? i'm assuming pretty low.

147 for the conversion but then I bumped it to 158 via a pseudo decoction (just pulled wort to boil and add back) to dextrinize as described in Farmhouse Ales. It was my first time doing mash like that and I think I like the technique. I did not do a mash out step and just left the wort to denature in the kettle. The initial fermentation seemed to have stopped close to 1.010 and slowly came down to my 1.004.

This beer is bottled. I checked gravity two weeks ago at 1.003 and again yesterday at 1.003. I will repost when I actually taste the finished carbonated beer. It went from 1.052 to 1.003 for 94.2% attenuation.

Well it's been a month and a half since brewday and my rye saison is down to 1.004. I may bottle within a week. The brett may keep going a bit further but I am bottling in heavy bottles so I'm not too terribly concerned if a get a little extra fermentation from the brett which I will figure for. I will bottle for 2.5 volumes with sugar expecting at least 1 volume from continued fermentation. This method has been working for me very well.

Next up the exact same hops and base recipe with the rye swapped out for some spelt.

I just got done a round of saison with rye, spelt and buckwheat. The spelt was really nice after a little aging. I think the rye was my favorite though.

I can see that I already like this recipe with the rye a whole lot. I am eager to use the spelt, and I doubt I'll go the buckwheat route very soon. I have a bunch of recipes to brew up in the coming weeks once my patio is finished. Damn rain and all put my construction project on hold. Should be able to finish this weekend and get back to brewing!

What % Rye did you use and would you change that amount if you brewed it again? I have a Saison coming up that I wanted to use Spelt and Rye in. Was planning on 5% Spelt and another 5% Rye...maybe more Rye?

I used 27% rye. When I brew it again I will up the rye a little bit or drop the rye down a little bit. As it stands I think it's about right however I do not have anything to judge against. I used the McKenzie's Saison recipe listed in the BYO article as a guide for my recipe.

Okay here we are in November. The bottles have all slightly built up more carbonation due to the brett. However the brett is VERY subdued. I hope the beer develops a little more brett character through the winter/spring.

Today I finally got around to brewing the same base recipe with spelt grains. Everything is sitting with a protein rest right now as we speak. I debated doing a cereal mash which in retrospect I maybe should have. I got caught up in the moment this morning and dumped the finely ground whole spelt in my grain bucket. I had half whole spelt and half flaked (wanted all flaked but the store only had 2lbs worth).

My saison with this yeast strain has a very strong funky nose, and the washings I gave to other guys to try all had a pronounced brett aroma. I am surprised you did not get much brett.

I don't know. Maybe I just can't smell/detect it. I sent one off to KingBrianI from this board. I think he's drinking it today maybe he'll detect something. Don't get me wrong it has brett character but it's just very hidden. It's not like drinking a 1yr old bottle of Orval if you know what I mean. Hell it's not even half the flavor of what orval is in terms of brett.

Any updates on this beer? I have some ECY Farmhouse Brett. Brewing in a couple weeks. Any more Brett character come through with time? I know Brett can take a while to develop...

Id be interested as well, Ive been sitting on a vial of ECY03 for about month. Im thinking of brewing with it as soon as I feel like I can keep temps a bit higher, my basement brew area is a constant 62 atm.

Would making a starter effect the culture at all, or is that only the case with some of the other mixed strains from ECY?

Well between the protein rest, 148F mash temp, and the 158 dextrinization step I got full conversion. No need for a cereal mash I guess with spelt.

Spelt is a form of wheat and wheat gelantinizes at 125-147F so you hit it with either the protein rest of beta rest. No need for the cereal mash.

Well the ECY03 with the rye is starting to show a bit of brett. It doesn't have the in your face horsey character like Orval because well it's not the same brett. However the bottles have dried out nicely and it is quite nice. I have a full case of grolsch bottles I'm sitting on until spring/summer. I opened a 750ml at saturday's club meeting and it was gone in NO time. The beer is nice and dry with a touch of acidity that seems to be increasing slightly over time. At this point I think it's been in the bottle since August.

I'm bottling the spelt version of it soon and will track how that one develops compared the the rye.

Id be interested as well, Ive been sitting on a vial of ECY03 for about month. Im thinking of brewing with it as soon as I feel like I can keep temps a bit higher, my basement brew area is a constant 62 atm.

Would making a starter effect the culture at all, or is that only the case with some of the other mixed strains from ECY?

If you're not opposed you can always use a party tub and drop the fermentor in there with an aquarium heater. That's how I do my saisons in the fall/winter/spring.

I don't think a starter will have any negative effect on the blend since brett grows so slow. You'll just end up with a very increased cell count of sacch and a ever so slightly increased cell count of brett. I did a starter and it was fine. I'm about to brew a third "generation" off my spelt batch.

Good to hear it's coming along well. I'm going to take a stab at this soon. No rye, though. Does anyone know what strains of Brett are in this?

So the third pitch of ECY03 is basically finished fermenting after 2.5 weeks. The first pitch I was looking at 3-4 months. The second was done in about two, this one is done in around 3 weeks it seems. Also the banana heavy flavors it tends to throw out in the beginning disappear much faster now also.

As I sit here drinking a beer from my first pitch back which I bottled back in August I can't help but think the culture is fermenting faster because of it being a blend. I think one of the yeasts in the blend is supposed to be a French sourced strain. My guess is my culture is driving from the original blend ratio, but I will let it roll as it's still making delicious beer.

Instead of starting another thread, I'm bringing this back.

Any notes on how your ECY03 beers have aged?

Anyone still using the same rinsed culture of ECY03?

I've done 4 beers with it so far and the latest went from 1.064 to 1.004 in 7 days, with about 10% sugar. The yeast was 1st or maybe 2nd generation rinse when I got it.

Consensus is that brett in the primary as the sole yeast doesn't generate the 'funk' associated with brett secondaries or brett bottle conditioning. I'm suggesting that it's possible the brett in this blend isn't neccessarily for funkiness, but for the attenuation. Or of course, I've ended up with very little brett left and a super attenuative and not very flocculant sacc strain.

Sebas83 said:
How long have you conditioned this beer?

Only a month and its got new school hops out the wazoo. That's why I was hoping some other folks who have had bottles longer could chime in.

A month won't give you much funk. Much fruit, a little leathery maybe. Give it six months and you'll see more funk. If you fermed warm (80+), the Brett will chew on those esters and give the funk a bit more presence.

Keep us posted!

A month won't give you much funk. Much fruit, a little leathery maybe. Give it six months and you'll see more funk. If you fermed warm (80+), the Brett will chew on those esters and give the funk a bit more presence.

Keep us posted!

Have you used this blend? The description is 'Produces a fruity and funky profile with some acidity gradually increasing over time.'

Doesn't lead me to think it will get much funk, ever. I did pick up on the acidity in the small saison I bottled this week. Really kicked up the the berry aroma of the hops. Beer was @ 1.000 when I bottled, and I capped 4 750s, hopefully I'll still have one in a year. The rest are in flip tops and won't see March.

The previous batch, with new school hops, has quite a few corked bottles, so hopefully I'll get to taste the fruit shift into sour/funk.

I haven't used the specific blend but I've used both the yeast and brett used to make this blend. Both are extremely high quality and unique. They LOVE warmth and time.

I had drank some of my saison with ECY03 that was made well over a year ago. The acidity doesn't come off as acidity to me but just dryness. The brett flavor is more of a musty flavor rather than a horsey flavor like the orval strain. As someone said in here I think the brett is more there for attenuation. I kept it pretty alive but I've gotten a little bored with the blend and decided to develop my own saison blend. The first fermentation is showing real promise.

I had drank some of my saison with ECY03 that was made well over a year ago. The acidity doesn't come off as acidity to me but just dryness. The brett flavor is more of a musty flavor rather than a horsey flavor like the orval strain. As someone said in here I think the brett is more there for attenuation. I kept it pretty alive but I've gotten a little bored with the blend and decided to develop my own saison blend. The first fermentation is showing real promise.

Thanks, good to know. I definitely got acidity from this strain combined with Belma.

I may have to brew with this again once I get the current saison bottled. That should be soon I hope. Then I will brew the same recipe with ECY03 to have a decent comparison. Of course I will have to add my hop tolerant lacto strain to be fair. That will be slot of bottled saison for me to drink this year if I get time to brew the recipe again within a month. The most recent batch will be close to 12 gal in the bottles.

After making the mistake of giving away all of my slurry of ECY03 from last year I just built up a culture from a bottle of my Saison during the BBB Funk swap.

Shaun and Dan from Hill Farmstead has some nice comments about the beer, thought I might have either under pitched or under aerated a little bit but overall thought it was a nice beer albeit slight one dimensional. 75 pils/20 wheat/5 munich, bitted with Magnum and late hopped with Citra.

One thing everyone noted was that the beer had a fuller body then expected, especially with a 1.003 FG. Something that I had always noticed but thought it was just me, Dan mentioned there may be a strain in the blend that produces some glycerol to help in a more full body. A little over my head but there is that.

Anyway, I built up a culture from the dregs of my beer and plan to re-use it soon. I may co pitch the slurry with a 4th generation pitch of ECY08, or I might pitch it alone.

Is this out again? I think it usually comes out sometime between now and mid spring.

Back