2007 Hop Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's keep this thread going as information comes in regarding 2007 hop rhizomes.

Northern Brewer has pre-ordering available now for the following varieties:

Brewer's Gold
Cascade
Centennial
Fuggle
Goldings
Hallertau
Nugget
Mt. Hood
Sterling
Willamette

If anyone else finds info out there from any other sites--please post it. I want 1-2 more varieties to plant this year, but they have to be kind of obscure. I might buy another Chinook rhizome because I don't think mine made it from the old house.

:rockin:

I contacted Freshops about a month ago and they said that their 2007 rhizomes would be available on March 21. This is the list they had for 2006.

BREWERS GOLD
CASCADE
CENTENNIAL
CHINOOK
FUGGLE
HALLERTAUER
KENT GOLDING
LIBERTYs
MAGNUM
MT. HOOD
NEWPORT
NORTHERN
BREWER
NUGGET
PERLE
CANADIAN REDVINE
STERLING
SUNBEAM
VOJVODINA
WILLAMETTE
WYE CHALLENGER
WYE VIKING

I'd kill for an Amarillo Rhizome. Just an FYI, my Liberty and Kent Goldings took off last year. They grew to about 12'. Not many hops, but hopefully this year will be better.

I don't think Amarillo™ (Brand VGXP01 by Virgil Gamache Farms Inc.) rhizomes are going to be available any time soon. They've got a hot property and have done a good job of burying the origin. May just be a lucky find. D@mn lucky!

I plan to get a few this year (probably Cascade and Hallertauer).

But I also found wild hops last year. They grow on the side of a tree that is on my usual running route and I may want to see if I can get rhizome of that. They had a nice aromatic hop smell when I saw them last year.

Kai

I like the idea of having some home grown Magnums!

FWIW, this past summer was my second year for my Nugget and Cascade plants. I got a lot of Nugget and even more of Cascade. I made a light (~4.5% ABV) pale ale using only those hops and I just started drinking it this past weekend. It turned out very well. I dry hopped with the Cascade and it has a nice hop nose. I plan to brew it again soon. I have plenty of home grown hops to do it!

Kaiser said:
I plan to get a few this year (probably Cascade and Hallertauer).

But I also found wild hops last year. They grow on the side of a tree that is on my usual running route and I may want to see if I can get rhizome of that. They had a nice aromatic hop smell when I saw them last year.

Kai

One of my co-workers has wild hops growing on her property, and one of my wife's friends has a ton growing on her farm in NY. I got some from my co-worker last year, but they were mostly all old and brown, so they're sitting in the freezer and I doubt I'll do anything with them. Next year, though.. :D

So Cascades grow reasonably well in MA?

Im going to try my hand at growing these this year.. I just pre-ordered:

Cascade Hop Rhizome
Nugget Rhizome
Centennial Hop Rhizome

from N.Brewer

I cant wait!

I'd also be willing to trade some rhizomes as well--but NEXT year. I just transplanted all of mine when we moved so I want them to establish a good root base this year. Next year I'll have some pretty awesome rhizome varieties available. I'm psyched I picked up that Glacier rhizome last year.

These are the ones I have now--so do some planning if you want a trade:

Northern Brewer
Mt. Hood
Cascade
Santiam
Glacier
Horizon

Like the 'other hop' the resinous aau is the last thing produced by the plant, first it takes care of growth then flower and finally its protextion.
Advise all who grow hops, to compost well with spent grain- grown compost

the_bird said:
I got some from my co-worker last year, but they were mostly all old and brown, so they're sitting in the freezer and I doubt I'll do anything with them. Next year, though..

As you probably know they would make some aweful beer.

From my hop gardening book;
  • You could use them for Potpourri. Steeped in a little crock.
  • Make a dream pillow. Toss them into a pillow case, they're supposed to help you sleep. As long as you don't have allergies.
  • Compost with them
  • Animal Feed (but are poisonous to dogs)
  • Give them to a brewer you don't like very well. (Sorry that's mine!!! )

Such a shame isn't it?

I used my Cascade from last to make my cream ale. It turned out nice. Nicely balanced with a good fresh nose. More floral smelling than citrusy though.

:mug:

the_bird said:
So Cascades grow reasonably well in MA?

I don't know. I just heard that they seem to do best of all the hops out there. I'm not sure how well the Hallertauer will grow though.

Kai

I have heard that Hallertauer are low yield and finicky.

I have nuggets & cascades. If I had it to do all over I would have picked something other than nugget. Like willamette.

Nugget is predomantly a bittering hop. Fresh hops should be used for aroma & flavor.

Year to year you don't know the AAU of the nuggets. No so good for bittering in that sense. It seems a waste to boil away fresh hops for bittering. Unless you have tons of them and can't give them away to friends.

If my memory is right Nuggets 12-13 AAU, Cascades 5-6%

One thing about the nugget it grows vigorously and smells good.

My last batch is with nugget. Need to bottle soon.

I just placed my pre-order with Northern Brewer for two Fuggle, two Kent Golding, and two Sterling rhizomes. I've got my trellis all picked out and ready, can't wait to smell those hops!

My Willamettes have been a bust two years running now.:mad: That's why I'm strongly considering replacing them with Magnum. OTOH, I have no choice but to get a trellis this year for the Cascades. They just grow too fast and too heavy.

I think something like this would be nice. Sitting in the shade of your hops with a cool beer in your hand and the smell of hops surrounding you. What could be better?

Rhoobarb said:
My Willamettes have been a bust two years running now.:mad: That's why I'm strongly considering replacing them with Magnum. OTOH, I have no choice but to get a trellis this year for the Cascades. They just grow too fast and too heavy.

I think something like this would be nice. Sitting in the shade of your hops with a cool beer in your hand and the smell of hops surrounding you. What could be better?

That would be so awesome--I'm going to try to run my hops up from the ground to my elevated deck, and then on twine up to the second floor balcony. To form a 'hop canopy', if you will. :D

KeystoneHomeBrew has many varieties. I will try growing in PA for the first time this year on an old grapevine trellis and the fences in my yard. 2 Cascade and 2 Nugget rhizomes are on order and I just got word they will ship late March.

I just pre-ordered 2 Centennial and 2 Mt. Hood rhizomes at Weekend Brewew, $3.95 each. Here is some info for the Mid-Atlantic brewers on here who want to grow hops this year, I got this off of the LHBS website:

The Six varieties that are listed as acceptable for Mid East Coast Climate: Cascade (4.5-7 %), Centennial (9.5-11.5%), Horizon (12.5-13.5%), Mt Hood (5-8%), Nugget (12-14%), Willamette (4-6%)

So, when are you supposed to plant them? How warm does it have to be before they can go in the ground? When do they get shipped out to you?

You know it's bad when I decide to grow my own hops. I can't be bothered to pull the weeds (not the good kind) from the flower beds in the back of my house. My thumb has been certified deadlier to plants than Chuck Norris is to bad guys.

Yet, I'm willing to give the growing of hops a try. I'm in too deep I tells ya, in too deep.

BTW, how many rhizomes will I need to begin yielding a sufficient crop for brewing? I'm thinking of going all Centennial or Centennial/Cascade.

Is there any way to estimate the alpha acid percentage of home-grown hops? That's mostly whats keeping me from 'em.

mew said:
Is there any way to estimate the alpha acid percentage of home-grown hops? That's mostly whats keeping me from 'em.

You can estimate it, but only within the usual range of the hop (at least, as far as I know). I've been told not to use them for bittering, only for flavor or aroma.

Whelk said:
Man, I can't wait for my six rhizomes to come--two Fuggle, two Kent Golding, two Sterling. My only problem...seriously, what the hell am I going to do with 6 to 18 pounds of hops? :confused:

Make one or two batches of IPAs, of course! :D

My cascades died back during a heatwave last year and didn't flower, but now they should sprout like gangbusters this year. My stepdad gave me some rhizomes from his bushes (yes they looked like bushes!) and he got about 10 lbs of hops last year.

Orpheus said:
You know it's bad when I decide to grow my own hops. I can't be bothered to pull the weeds (not the good kind) from the flower beds in the back of my house. My thumb has been certified deadlier to plants than Chuck Norris is to bad guys.

Yet, I'm willing to give the growing of hops a try. I'm in too deep I tells ya, in too deep.

BTW, how many rhizomes will I need to begin yielding a sufficient crop for brewing? I'm thinking of going all Centennial or Centennial/Cascade.

One rhizome. It will take approximately 2 years to get a decent yield for brewing with. My second year Northern Brewer gave me about 4 oz. (wet) IIRC. I am expecting double that (or more) this season.

mew said:

Using the guidelines of the hop is the only way--secondary to sending them into a place that does a true analysis.

Whelk said:
Man, I can't wait for my six rhizomes to come--two Fuggle, two Kent Golding, two Sterling. My only problem...seriously, what the hell am I going to do with 6 to 18 pounds of hops? :confused:

In two years you mean,. right? Don't expect much of a yield this year or next, honestly.

Whelk said:
You can estimate it, but only within the usual range of the hop (at least, as far as I know). I've been told not to use them for bittering, only for flavor or aroma.

Why? Use a general guideline of the hop and just go with it. If the human tongue can't distinguish a difference of <10 IBU's, you can still get pretty close to accurate. I say just brew with them and screw the IBUs. You'll get close enough.

I'd err on the low side though, when concocting a recipe.

Brewpastor said:
I think I will plant a bunch up here in the high desert of New Mexico and watch them die.

I grew some in Taos last year. The Jumbo rhizomes (Cascades) sprouted and the vines gew about 9-11 feet with south west facing exposure. The smaller rhizomes sprouted and wilted back durning the dog days of summer. I could have done a better job of watering.

Anyway, try planting on the northeast side of your home or in some area that does not have 100% sun exposure and you will do fine. I dug my holes in the adobe clay earth and filled them with steer manure. (1.49 a yard at wall mart). New mexico clay earth does not promote sprouting rhizomes. Manure works great! You should be fine in Corrales....but go for the jumbos at freshops.com. Gives you one heck of a head start.

I think I will plant a bunch up here in the high desert of New Mexico and watch them die.

Since most of the hops grown in the US are grown around here (and the inland deserts of Washington), it's really just a matter of irrigation. Once a week soakings don't work (ask me how I know). I've been told when it hits 100F, every other day deep waterings are needed. 85-100F every 3-4 days is enough. Most of the hop growers here are switching to drip irrigation.

It basically takes as much water to keep your hops growing as it would to grow Kentucky bluegrass. Fortunately, less of an area to water and hops are more useful.

RB - you can train hops to grow horizontally. Just run a guide & keep tying them down.

the_bird said:
So, when are you supposed to plant them? How warm does it have to be before they can go in the ground? When do they get shipped out to you?

I didn't see an answer to your question yet so here it is. You have to be out of danger of having another frost so I guess once you know it's warm enough not to frost, plant away! How you're really suppose to know that for sure, I don't know. Planting around here will start in late March-early April so I'd guess late April for you.

2 questions,

What do I do with the rhizomes if I don't plan on planting them right away?

I know they need frequent watering but should they be planted in a more-wet part of my yard or a dryer part of my yard? Some parts of my yard can stay pretty soggy for a few days after it rains.

todd_k said:
2 questions,

What do I do with the rhizomes if I don't plan on planting them right away?

I know they need frequent watering but should they be planted in a more-wet part of my yard or a dryer part of my yard? Some parts of my yard can stay pretty soggy for a few days after it rains.

Keep them moist and cool. Put a damp paper towel nside a plastic ziploc, throw that in the warmest part of your fridge.

They LOVE water. Soggy, okay, underwater, not okay.

sw mich brewer
BELLS has hop rhizomes in for purchase 2.50 ea
12-18 varieties
got me a fuggle there
with a golding and williamette on order from midwest:rockin:

Back