Inventory list of Ingredients for your Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
So I have noticed many brewers keep most of their ingredents on hand. They will by in bulk and divide it into more managable packaging. I was curious what are your must haves and for what beers.

Grains
Hops
adjunctions
yeasts
equipment

Screenshot11.png

Screenshot-12.png

The inventory overlaps some, but it covers pretty much everything I have on hand

Grain:

Pale 2-Row
Maris Otter
Pilsner
Munich
Vienna
Wheat
40L
20L
60L
120L
Aromatic
Biscuit
Honey
Carapils
Special B
Chocolate
Roasted Barley

Hops:

Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Columbus
Fuggle
Galena
Goldings
Hallertau
Magnum
Mt Hood
Nugget
Perle
Saaz
Tettnanger
Willamette

Flavorings:

Coriander
Sweet Orange Peel

Yeast:

S-04
S-05
WLP300
W-34/70
Nottingham

OMG do you guys have silos!!!

Dedicated brewing ingredient fridge (hops and yeast), and a 100sq foot temp/humidity controlled grain storage area. There is about 300 pounds of grain and 10 pounds of hops in my inventory currently.

I am really glad I posted this thread. I would have no idea....how far behind the 8 ball I am.:eek:
Man..I really am speechless.

Buying in bulk can drive down the price of a 5 gallon batch to 10-15 bucks easy, even for IPAs.

Buying in bulk can drive down the price of a 5 gallon batch to 10-15 bucks easy, even for IPAs.

I totally agree. I am running between $8 and $15 a batch depending on the grain and hop bills.

I buy base grain once a year for 48 cents a pound (2row, vienna, munich, maris otter), specialty grains twice a year from brewmasterswarehouse (check out on hbt!), hops once or twice a year from hops direct, 5 or 6 pounds at a time. I also slant my yeast, so purchasing a vial for 8 dollars lasts me a lifetime, I may buy a new culture of a particular strain every 3 or 4 years, but thats it.

I have:

Bulk grains
German Pilsner
US 2-row
Crisp Maris Otter
Vienna malt
Munich malt

Specialty grains
10L crystal
20L crystal
40L crystal
60L crystal
80L crystal
120L crystal
special B
Special roast
Victory malt
biscult malt
brown malt
amber malt
Caravienna
honey malt
chocolate malt
roasted barley
flaked barley
flaked maize
flaked oats
flaked wheat

Hops
Magnum (pound)
Galena (pound)
Cascades (hordes)
Centennial (2 pounds)
Northern Brewer (pound)
amarillo (tons)
Simcoe (pound)
perle
hallertauer
saaz
EKG
fuggles
crystal
chinook
Tettnang
Williamatte (pound)

Yeast
so5
so4
nottingham
california lager yeast
wyeast 1056
WLP001
pacman yeast
Bavarian lager yeast

and various other things- an ounce of newport hops, glacer hops, some honey, etc. There are a bunch of leftover hops that I vacuum sealed and froze, so I have many odds and ends.

I accumulated this over a period of time, but I did just buy five pounds of hops this week and have my homegrown also. Usually, I buy things in bulk and just buy more when I run low.

I keep Pale malt in stock (50lb bag) and the other grains I just go and pick up per recipe, 50lbs of any of those grains would take forever for me to use up. Hops I have a pound each of 4 that I use for an IIPA and a few left over ounces from other recipes. I usually have S05 and S04 lying around, some Whirlfloc and I am good to go.

I have way too many fermenters & pots that I have outgrown. Mostly use Keggles & inductor tank now.

My inventory is a bit smaller, but takes up only one corner of the garage and a little fridge/freezer space. Buckets and storage containers are your friend:

US 2-row
Maris Otter
Munich
Vienna
Crystal 40
Crystal 60
Crystal 120
Chocolate Malt
Pale Chocolate Malt
Roasted Barley
Honey Malt
Victory Malt
Flaked Barley
Flaked Oats
Brown Malt

Centennial
Cascade
Willamette
Styrian Goldings
Fuggles
Magnum

S-05
S-04

I brew pretty much English and American Non-wheat ales.

I have similar inventory, but less.

Base grains:
Otter
Organic Pilsner
Organic 2-row
Organic Munich

Then a bunch of specialty grains, mostly in 3lb increments.

I store in these for specialty grains:

http://www.storables.com/Shop/Kitch...p=true&title=120+OZ+Square+Grip+Food+Canister

It fits about 4.8lbs:

fh.jpg

Then I use a vittles vault for 2-row, it can fit 60lbs easy. I have the other base grains in smaller containers, but I need to get vittles vaults for them too.

http://www.petco.com/product/9799/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Stackables.aspx

769397143607C.jpg

I live right by a LHBS, but I really like having this stuff on hand. It is way cheaper to buy in bulk, and it makes recipe planning and experimenting much easier. Almost always, I can brew whatever recipe I am planning by using ingredients on hand.

I am starting to see a trend here. I was wondering if I was going to see the same grains in each brewers "pantry".

I buy 2row and Marris Otter in 10# bags now. I am really hoping for a 2 roller grinder for Christmas so I can only crush the grains I intend to use today.

I have one fridge for all my food, my beer and my brewing ingredients, but I got two Cornies in there with about three pounds of hops and probably five pounds of specialty grains already crushed in under one pound quantities.

I do ranch 1056-Chico and 1098-Brit Ale. Almost always have a back up Notti Yellow behind the little door with the butter.

100# pale US, 50# Maris Otter UK, several pounds each of 20,40,60,120 crystal, Special B, Roasted Barley, Biscuit, Flaked Wheat, chocolate, vienna, Munich, Carapils, Flaked oats, 2# Amarillo, several more pounds of cascadem centennial, chinook, williamette, magnum,nugget, glacier,simcoe, warrior,columbus.

Screenshot11.png

Screenshot-12.png

The inventory overlaps some, but it covers pretty much everything I have on hand

287lbs of 2-row & 100lbs MO.... hat's off to you.

I'm at 100lbs pils, 40lbs 2-row, 25lbs munich, vienna & MO. Plus random specialty.

Now someone needs to post with 50+lbs of hops.

This is a great benefit, but for me the real gain in bulk buying is impulse brewing. Throwing together a batch on a whim. Even for a planned brewday, I usually have a style that I’m aiming for, but sometimes the final grist is changing right up until the grains pass through the crusher.

I buys sacks of MO and Pilsner for base malt - and buy specialty grain in 5 lb lots.

I have in inventory, probably around 5 lbs of each:
C60
C120
roast barley
black patent
flaked wheat
flaked barley
flaked oats
CaraMunich
Munich
Vienna
Special B
Aromatic
Special Roast
English Dark Crystal
Unmalted wheat
Rye malt

Hops? I gots lots. At least a half pound of each, and sometimes more than a pound: Amarillo, Simcoe, Nugget, Columbus, Sterling, Tettanger, Saaz, Fuggles, EKG, Cascade, Centennial, Willamette, Magnum, Nugget.

:D

This thread has made my mind up, I'm going to get a grain mill and start buying in bulk. Grains store for a long time as long as there not crushed right?

This thread has made my mind up, I'm going to get a grain mill and start buying in bulk. Grains store for a long time as long as there not crushed right?

Yup. Search here for threads on how to store grain, lots of info. I personally keep mine in the bags it came in, put that bag inside another big plastic bag, and then the whole thing in a plastic bin with a lid, that I stack three tall. Holds 55# easy and keeps everything safe from vermin and fresh.

I make belgians and hefeweizen.
What should I keep on hand?

I'd go with pilsen malt, light wheat malt (for the hefe), and perhaps some unmalted wheat. Having some Munich on hand would be good as well (if you use a little in your hefe).

I buy Maris Otter, Golden Promise (for Scottish-style beers), American pale, Pilsen, and light wheat in full bags. The other stuff I buy 5# or so at a time at LHBS (which happens to be morebeer).

I don't do a good job of keeping my beersmith inventory updated, so it's always a bit of fun trying to remember what I have.

50# Maris Otter
120# 2Row
80# Pale
90# White wheat
50# Pils
45# Vienna
25# C15
20# C60
16# Munich
16# Carapils

Plus unknown ~10# quantities of roast barley, choco, and some other stuff way back in the closet.

Hops, I have 1/2# bags of EKG, willamette, amarillo, tetts, plus smaller quantities of sterling, cascade, and centennial

I don't feel like sorting through the whole list, but it's similar to what others have posted. I have 29 varieties of grain and 10 varieties of hops on hand right now. For yeast I have WLP001 slanted and a vial WLP830 waiting to be slanted. I'm just starting to get my yeast bank going. I hope to have 5-6 strains slanted at all times in the near future.

Back