BREWCAST 9am ET 9-22-09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have a HUGE doughball issue when I mashed in.

Try stirring the grain as you pour it next time. Yes it's tricky as you have a bucket in one hand and a paddle in the other but, it works for me. Or pour a bit... stir...pour... stir.
Dumping the whole grain at once like you did spells.... balls :D

You made some references in the past that made me think it was closer to Chicago

I buy my malt in Chicago now from Mid Country...

Yah, typically I dont have doughballs even when dumping in 100% of the grist. This time the MO was clumpy... oh well, it got solved.

Next time I will have SWMBO help out.

I never seem to catch these brewcasts. I start work at 5:50 am pst and don't get off until 4:20. Maybe one of these days I'll catch one on the weekend

No biggie, just wanted to see how other brewers' brew day usually goes. Haven't been doin ag that long and just wanting to see if mine looks like every one elses

Some more photos... someone was asking about shrinkage and the WinPak.

No_Chill.JPG

No_Chill2.JPG

Starter!!

Starter_Foam.JPG

I buy my malt in Chicago now from Mid Country...

Yah, typically I dont have doughballs even when dumping in 100% of the grist. This time the MO was clumpy... oh well, it got solved.

Next time I will have SWMBO help out.

Might be that crush. I remember when I read where you had it set I thought it was kinda aggressive.
I also found it helpful to have the G/F pour the grain in while I stir.

Thanks for not giving up on the brewcasts. It was a regular party there today. I had a blast, learned a few things and met a few people I had not seen around here before (i.e. ClaudiusB, take a look at his brewery linked in his sig, UNREAL!)

So thanks for letting us all in to harrass, heckle and hinder your brewday.

Starter at 16 hours:
Full_of_Yeast.JPG

After 30 minutes of sitting still:
Settled_Starter.JPG

The wort is at 68F after 23 hours, so I am pitching... :ban:

FWIW, the starter began at 1.055, 16 hours later it was at 1.011!! :ban:

I never seem to catch these brewcasts. I start work at 5:50 am pst and don't get off until 4:20. Maybe one of these days I'll catch one on the weekend
I called in sick and it was worth it:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

flyangler said he was going to do one this afternoon. Doesnt look like he has posted any info about it yet though

I hope he is. I would love to watch and I wouldn't have to miss it this time. Still mad that I had to miss Pols.

Pol

Do you always let your starter sit unstirred several minutes prior to pitching? I always leave the plate on until right when I pitch to keep everything suspended. Is there a difference or just a preference?

Pol

Do you always let your starter sit unstirred several minutes prior to pitching? I always leave the plate on until right when I pitch to keep everything suspended. Is there a difference or just a preference?

There is a difference. I decant all of the nasty beer off the top of the yeast. That has been oxidized and fermented at about 75-80F, and I prefer it not go into my final beer.

There is a difference. I decant all of the nasty beer off the top of the yeast. That has been oxidized and fermented at about 75-80F, and I prefer it not go into my final beer.

You could get a sneak taste of your beer if you just bottled a 22 from your starter. you could be drinking that while you transfer to dry hop. I realize there would probably be flaws from the high ferment temp and oxygen but still.....

I will have another brewcast coming in three weeks time... I hope.

Not sure what I am going to brew, maybe RE-brew the Spiced Holiday Ale

10-4 I'll try not to miss it this time.

Hope to see you there...

I will do my best to get a thread up in plenty of time to get that info out to you.

I may take recipe requests... since I can build nearly anything with what I have here, that may be pretty cool!:p

This beer is really blowing off now...

CO2 burned my eyes when I opened the freezer... whew!

Back