Is this tank usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInATL

Reaction score
Can I convert this "high pressure gas cylinder" to a CO2 tank? I hope to eventually start kegging but I have a lot to learn first. I sort of inherited this tank and it's been sitting for a long time while I try to figure out what to do with it.

It appears that it was being used at some point for oxygen. Probably for medical purposes since it has a "Chemtron, Allied Healthcare Products, Inc." label on one side.

You can read the warning on the side here:

3185533095_be7c68df3a_o.jpg

The regulator is a 50psi regulator that appears to go up to 25 on the settings. Here is a picture of the regulator:

3186375198_c3871e6d4d_o.jpg

3186375534_7ea38d8a54.jpg

Here is the tank:

3186375150_9d5fa0604a_o.jpg

Is there anything I can use this for?

Cheers!

-Mark

That looks like an O2 tank. Even if you could get it all modded to run CO2 correctly, good luck finding somebody to fill it for you

You won't be able to get it filled unless you can fill it yourself. I don't think it's worth the hassle/risk if you can't.

hmm... What's the problem with getting it filled? Can I get rid of it somewhere then? I'm not sure if these types of tanks are sellable

As already mentioned, it's a medical oxygen tank and regulator. The good news is that it can be refilled with O2 and used for aerating wort. Good luck on getting it filled with CO2. If you just want to sell it off, I would try dumping it on a tech diving or aviation forum.

Matt

any welding supply shop would put a co2 valve in there and fill it for you. there is no difference in the cylinder. the valve will cost you around $25. its a "D" size oxygen. it will hold about 4 pounds of co2.

that regulator is for administering oxygen. the numbers are not psi. its liters per minute. the regulator is worth about $80 new. you could probably get a couple bucks for it on ebay.

ok, the only difference in the cylinder is that it is a dot 3al 2015, not a 3al 1800. its just a higher pressure rating. no problem at all

check the test date on it. there are new regs with tanks aluminum medical tanks made before 1990. they need to tests before they can be filled(if its out of date)

Thanks jonp9576!

You're right, I just checked it is a dot 3al 2015. That's the information I needed, so it sounds like I can have a welder change out the valve. Do you think once this has been done, I will be able to have it filled?

I'd rather use this for a keg system then for aerating wort.

One last question.. Where do I find the test date?

I just checked the tank again. The only thing that I could see that maybe a date (manufacture date?) says "Luxfer 05 98" on the side.

Im not sure you will be able to get it filled... the tank itself is approved for O2 and thats only if the O2 approval has expired they will require you to get it re-approved for O2... and thats for O2... I have a welder which uses Argon as a shield gas, I got a hold of a CO2 tank and thought i could get use it for Argon... nope... all tanks are color coded and indapendantly certified for a piticular type of gas... Even if you get it converted to hold CO2, its obviously physically an O2 tank and isnt marked with a certification for CO2... So i doubt you will a welding supply to fill it for you. You could buy a large bulk tank and fill it yourself... Likely your best bet is trading the tank in for credit aginst a new or used CO2 tank... i might be wrong, the welding shop i frequent wouldnt fill it, becasue it had not been altered by a professional who was certified in tank fabication and repair, also because it wasnt certifed by a approved auditier for use with CO2... That is all gonna cost you more then buying a 5lb cylinder brandnew for CO2... I may be wrong, i may be crazy...

Cheers

i'm sorry brewin jack but your wrong. any welding supply place will put in a new valve. any AirGas or anyone should fill it with co2. there is no difference in the certification for the gasses. they hydro test is the exact same. the color codes are only used for company owned tanks. there is no difference in a co2, and O2, an argon, or a helium tank. the oxygen ones are cleaned differently, thats it. they will all hold the same gasses. the numbers on the side give you the working pressure. that means if its 3al 2015. it can be filled to 2015psi of any gas. since co2 is a liquid at that pressure, you vill co2 to luqiud volume. for that size roughly 4 lbs. the pressure will be around 900psi at room temp.

if a shop wont change the valve for you, dont use that shop, they dont know what they are doing.

find a place that sells both o2 and co2, they will be able to do it for you.

FYI: I believe the 4 pound cylinders Adventures in Homebrewing offers with their homebrew keg kits are O2 cylinders modified with a CO2 valve. I have yet to take mine to get filled, but others on this board who bought it have reported no problems getting it filled. The only issue I could see is if you take it to a place that only does swaps; if it's not a standard size (5#, 10#, etc.) I imagine they might not want to trade.

Chris

That is an Oxygen tank. No one will fill that with CO2, I'm sure it is illegal. It would be pretty bad is some place accidently sent an O2 tank filled with CO2 to a hospital or ambulance service.

02 is also tanked at a higher pressure. 2,000 lbs.

Changing the top valve is the only way to be able to use it with a different gas. Might cost more to have them change the valve than it is worth.

thats what weve been saying. change the valve and its fine for co2.

and about 99% of oxygen cylinders are either 2015psi or 2265 psi. some of the larger ones are 2400

Back