Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apparatus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received a Mirror Pond Pale Ale- Extract kit from Austin Homebrew. The recipe calls for 3 additions of hops (bittering, flavor,dry hopping).

My question is that in the recipe instructions it lists 1oz. of cascade hops for each of these. But the kit included two 1oz. packages of Cascade and one 1oz. package of Saaz. I don't know if this was a mistake in the instructions or the packaging. Is Saaz a reasonable substitute for Cascade? If I use the Saaz, should I use it for the bittering, flavoring, or dry hop?. Should I go to my LHBS and get a package of cascade and forget the Saaz?

Any advice appreciated.

I'd use the Saaz at the end. I believe it is used primarily as an aroma hop. How manny IBU's is it? somewhere in the 3-5%, that low of an AA would almost be worthless in the kettle given yo only have one ounce.

My last two AG brews including the one I mashed today were Mirror Pond Pale Ale knockoffs. All cascade for me. The saaz goes in for dry hopping? I don't think saaz goes in this brew but I guess you can try it in secondary or as an aroma hop. You don't have much if all you have is 1 oz to play with of saaz.

Thanks for all the help. Seems as though the consenus is to dry hop with the saaz, so that is what I will do.
Thanks again.

I'm about 97% certain the instructions are correct & you should have three packets of cascades. If you don't want to bother getting a replacement packet (I suspect AHB would be quite happy to send you one, gratus), use the Saaz for dryhopping.

Austin Homebrew's customer service is impeccable. Give them a call, let them know you what you were sent vs what the recipe calls for. I'm almost 100% certain that they'll send you the cascades without hassle or payment.

Back