First all grain recipe: Oatmeal Stout...please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So im not the best with math and im still getting use to beersmith and putting togeather recipes. This will be my second time going all grain but first time putting togeather my own recipe. I thought some of you might be able to help me out with the temps I need for mashing, and water and times for boiling.

Here is the recipe off of my beersmith:

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 69.23 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.75 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.77 %
0.25 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
1.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.2 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Any help/Info would be great...thanks :)

If it I were me, and it was yesterday with a very similar recipe, I'd dough in at 104, sacc rest at 158, mash out at 175, and boil for 90 minutes. I wanted the most body and mouthfeel possible and not even a hint of a possibility of DMS.

Just reread your post more carefully. I loaded a similar grain bill into BeerSmith and for my equipment (5 gallon igloo cooler) I'd strike with 17.19 qt of 112F water; decoct 11.61 qt and boil it to get to the sacc rest; then decoct 7.31 qt and boil it to mash out.

Yeah, a 5.5 gallon batch with batch sparging definitely isn't going to happen in a 5 gallon cooler! Well, at least not very well.

You'll have to mash at 1qt/lb for that bill to leave a half a gallon of headspace in the cooler. Also, you'll need to do three discrete batch sparge infusions at about 1.75 gallons each to get you a total of 7 gallons preboil.

You'll have to mash at 1qt/lb for that bill to leave a half a gallon of headspace in the cooler. Also, you'll need to do three discrete batch sparge infusions at about 1.75 gallons each to get you a total of 7 gallons preboil.

What kind of efficiencies do people see with 3 batch sparges? From what I know about leeching/extraction, the more you split it up the better. Except with beer we can start pulling out tannins if we go too far.

lol Brian, I thought you were going to try and figure this one out...

For clarification, we are using a 10 gallon cooler... double batch sparge will be easy.

Mash with 16.5 qts at 174*F Water for target of 154*F for 60 minutes

lol Brian, I thought you were going to try and figure this one out...

For clarification, we are using a 10 gallon cooler... double batch sparge will be easy.

Mash with 16.5 qts at 174*F Water for target of 154*F for 60 minutes

Also...thats what I got on my beersmith calculations as well its just I wanted to make sure I was right on this as im not that great with beersmith yet.

Back