Resume help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good site, for resume templates? Need to get a resume put together tomorrow.:eek: Think I might have found a dream part time job. For some reason I can not get the ones on Microsoft's web site to work.

Thanks

If you go into MS Word, go up to file and hit new you can select resume templates. I have this on the older version of Word at my office and the new version also has it with the addition of a bunch more.

As someone who has seen a lot of resumes lately, I don't reccomend using a stock microsoft word template, many people do that and the things start to look the same after a while. You want yours to look different, and also make sure you spelling is correct, we had an otherwise great candidate miss spell principle in her resume... and well that just isn't good.

You have to realize that HR people, especially at medium to large sized firms will see 40 to 50 new resumes come in per day. Often times people send in resumes even if there isn't a job opening. Other times they send them in applying for a job other than the one that is listed, in short many go right in the trash, and you want to make sure yours isn't one of those.

The best way to make sure yours isn't one of the ones that go in the trash is to have a friend on the inside hand it to the hr people...

Some good tips on resume and cover letter writing.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/291196665.html
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/nyc/77601002.html

As someone who has seen a lot of resumes lately, I don't reccomend using a stock microsoft word template, many people do that and the things start to look the same after a while. You want yours to look different, and also make sure you spelling is correct, we had an otherwise great candidate miss spell principle in her resume... and well that just isn't good.

You have to realize that HR people, especially at medium to large sized firms will see 40 to 50 new resumes come in per day. Often times people send in resumes even if there isn't a job opening. Other times they send them in applying for a job other than the one that is listed, in short many go right in the trash, and you want to make sure yours isn't one of those.

The best way to make sure yours isn't one of the ones that go in the trash is to have a friend on the inside hand it to the hr people...

Some good tips on resume and cover letter writing.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/291196665.html
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/nyc/77601002.html

This is true. I refered to this because I use it for my clients and it's quick. But if you want an outstanding resume: create it yourself using help from various sources. This does take a good portion of time, but can be well worth it.

As someone who see's resumes everyday and creates them for people. I always say, if you have a degree and advanced degree put that before your work history. It shows a big accomplishment and is important.

This is true. I refered to this because I use it for my clients and it's quick. But if you want an outstanding resume: create it yourself using help from various sources. This does take a good portion of time, but can be well worth it.

As someone who see's resumes everyday and creates them for people. I always say, if you have a degree and advanced degree put that before your work history. It shows a big accomplishment and is important.

Also if you have a college degree or an advanced degree, don't put your high school education on there, it is just weird, and it is a very good way to figure out how old someone is, age descrimination does happen, a former boss of mine great guy 76 years young had to trim the first 20 years off of his resume and not put the years he recieved his bachelors degree just to get interviewed for the job. Most places didn't want to hire a guy who was as old as he was.

Also if you have a college degree or an advanced degree, don't put your high school education on there, it is just weird, and it is a very good way to figure out how old someone is, age descrimination does happen, a former boss of mine great guy 76 years young had to trim the first 20 years off of his resume and not put the years he recieved his bachelors degree just to get interviewed for the job. Most places didn't want to hire a guy who was as old as he was.

Yeah I forgot to add that, good call. I feel you can leave undergrad and grad degree years. Someone can graduate with a BA and be 50 for all anyone knows. But its just the same to not add it. Unless your like me and in the process of getting a masters or PHD, in that case I use (anticipated 2009)

Back