The-10-Oldest-Bars-in-the-United-States

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the local brewpubs is relatively new, but their bar is over 140 years old. Came out of a Portland hotel. I'm amazed most of those places made it through Prohibition.

No mention of the Green Dragon in Boston. According to lore, this is where the Boston Tea Party was planned.

I haven't even been to most of the cities on the list, but I have had a few beers at number 1. The place in New Orleans definitely looks real old when you are in it.

That Blacksmith Bar in New Orleans looks really cool!

That was a great little history lesson. Thanks. I'm headed to NY later this month and shall have to make a few choice visits.

If you dare text message me from the White Horse Tavern with a picture of what you're drinking, you had better be stopping on your way home for a couple sixers for me. ;)

Some serious issues with accuracy here. but still really cool old buildings and I am sure really cool bars

judging from the comments, there seems to be an accuracy issue somewhere....

As with all things, it really depends on your definition of a bar. There are about ten or twelve bars, inn/bars, restaurant/bars that all pre-date the american revolution in and around Boston. If you only include those that are only bars and not restaurants inns etc with a bar etc, it drops the list down to two or three, one of which (bell in hand) is mentioned in the article, if you require that they have been in continuous operation with the same name that it had when it was founded, and in the same space you are down to pretty much the bell in hand. I wonder what requirements they have set to be considered one of the oldest bars in the country, and how many of these places are actually inns or eateries that were turned into bars at a later date.

If you use my strict definition a couple that are on the list will have to be pulled, but it seems they have no set definition for an old bar.

Back