Something growing on my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casablanca

Reaction score
So I brewed a beer and did not bottle for like 4 weeks.. well i still haven't bottled it... but now there is a layer of white things growing on the top... is the beer under neath it safe to drink?

Pictures might help. You can always siphon out from underneath, bottle it and see what happens.

well i tried to take a pic but cant get one to come out. It started out like spider webs about a week ago.. and now it has covered the entire surface... like it looked like silly string on top if that makes sense.

Well is is not fuzzy, it is definetly not like sandard mold. It is solid now but when it started it was like thin lins of silly string that were woven togeter like spider webs... now the is just a ton of that... it still smells great... but not sure i want to tase it unless it is going to be good. anyone have any resources on stuff growing in beer... oh it is still... nothing is moving in the bottle at all.

I'd get a sample from underneath that stuff and if it tastes ok I'd hurry up and bottle. I'd rack under the stuff of course, and leave quite a bit of beer behind to avoid getting that crud into any bottles.

You can taste it- it won't kill you (or hurt you at all). No human pathogens can survive in beer. The worst thing that can happen is it'll taste like crap.

Back