120V, 20 amps, 2000w?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I confirmed that I have 20 amp outlets where I plan on brewing. This means I can use 2000w elements right? I already built one 1500w stick, but I'd like to use a 2000w for the second one. My plan is a very simple 2 heat stick system with everything else being set up the same as I used to brew with propane.

And with consideration for anything else that might be sharing those circuits.

Perhaps just semantics, but do you mean separate outlets = separate circuits/breakers for each outlet?

No I'd didn't know that, I'll have to check again. I know which outlets i planned on using, but I think they may be the same breaker. Damn, guess ill check when I get home.

Just be sure you don't exceed 75% of your circuit capacity or you will start to stress the circuit breaker. They're thermomagnatic and the closer to the limit they are pushed, the shorter there life cycle will become.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be brewing on my ground floor and I believe the ground floor circuits are only for a few lights and outlets. The outlets are all empty except for one air freshener which will be unplugged when brewing. The washer and dryer are on seperate circuits. I'm going to do another check when I get home to make sure. I'm hoping the outlets I planne to use are on seperate breakers. I do know that two breakers control my ground floor.

Close, and I know what you're thinking. I thought about using it but the plug is behind the dryer and the way they are positioned, I'd have to pull it out to use the plug. It would be too much of a pain.

I'm my garage I have two circuits. One is 15amp and the other is 20 (for the garage doors). If you have garage doors you might be in luck. Also, I use 2 1500 watt elements and it is fine for 6 to 10 gallon batches.

. . . the plug is behind the dryer and the way they are positioned, I'd have to pull it out to use the plug. It would be too much of a pain.
If it's a wall mounted box, it would be pretty easy to tap into it and put a second box above or near it on the wall. In the long run, you'd be better off putting in a little extra work now rather than do something you'll want to change later. Sure, two 120V lines will work, but you know how this hobby works. We are always trying to improve. Starting with a 240V element will open you up to lots of other easy upgrades without making a major change in the pot itself.

I'm going to use sticks for now because I'm actually doing this to downsize on equipment. My second daughter meant bye-bye brewing room, hello new master bedroom. My house is very tight for us and my brewing equipment. ;)

When we finally move, my goal is an all-electric system in a dedicated brew room. For now though, my pot, cooler and sticks will have to do.

Latest posts

Back