Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
I just brewed a knock-off of "Caribou Slobber" from Northern Brewers. Anticipation got the best of me. I tried one after only 5 days after bottling. It was not carbonated at all. Will another couple weeks help the process? thanks forum.

Yes. If you added the right amount of priming sugar and mixed it uniformly in your beer before you bottled it, it is an automatic process that you can't screw up. Just make sure the bottles are stored at room temperature during the next 2-3 weeks. Feel free to try one from time to time to see the differences in bottle carbonation and how the tastes are changing. Just remember to put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours - sticking one in the freezer for 10 minutes doesn't count.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

In three weeks if you've stored the beer above 70, take two, 1 from each case and chill them for a day or 2 and taste them...if they are carbed and conditioned then you're good. If they're not carbed, or taste funky still, check a couple more in a week or two.

Yes. If you added the right amount of priming sugar and mixed it uniformly in your beer before you bottled it, it is an automatic process that you can't screw up. Just make sure the bottles are stored at room temperature during the next 2-3 weeks. Feel free to try one from time to time to see the differences in bottle carbonation and how the tastes are changing. Just remember to put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours - sticking one in the freezer for 10 minutes doesn't count.

Thanks Paulster. I used the standard 2/3 cup (recommended). I typically don't mix the priming solution with a ladle. Usually, I cool the solution, put it in the bottom of my bottling bucket, siphon the beer into the bottling bucket and go from there. The hose from my siphon goes to the bottom of the bottling bucket. When I add the beer, I have enough tube in the bottling bucket to create a very slight vortex. I am hoping this is enough to mix it.....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

In three weeks if you've stored the beer above 70, take two, 1 from each case and chill them for a day or 2 and taste them...if they are carbed and conditioned then you're good. If they're not carbed, or taste funky still, check a couple more in a week or two.

Thanks Revvy! Can't wait for another couple of weks. The beer had a great malty flavor, something my wife doesn't like. Oh well, looks like I will have to drink this one on my own>>>shucks!

Thanks Paulster. I used the standard 2/3 cup (recommended). I typically don't mix the priming solution with a ladle. Usually, I cool the solution, put it in the bottom of my bottling bucket, siphon the beer into the bottling bucket and go from there. The hose from my siphon goes to the bottom of the bottling bucket. When I add the beer, I have enough tube in the bottling bucket to create a very slight vortex. I am hoping this is enough to mix it.....

I did this for my first few and had mixed results. All the bottles got some carbonation but they had differing amounts. I have since stirred gently and the carbonation in the separate bottles were more equal.

:mug:

Thanks Revvy! Can't wait for another couple of weks. The beer had a great malty flavor, something my wife doesn't like. Oh well, looks like I will have to drink this one on my own>>>shucks!

I guess that means you have to brew another, less malty beer now. Gotta keep the wife happy, and you get to brew again. It's a win-win! :mug:

I firmly believe that the not mixing issuse is a myth. The mere racking is enough to integrate the two fluids just fine.

You're talking 2 little teeny cups of liquid being overwhelmed by 5 gallons of liquid of pretty much the same density- It's impossible for it not to be mixed up

We're not talking oil and water, we're talking sugar water and alcoholic sugar water....it's not much difference.

Some beers can take 6-8 weeks or more to fully pop and the fact that a few bottles may be carbed only means that those were a little warmer than the rest of them, NOT that some got more sugar than others.

What folks seem to forget is that when you stick the beer in the bottles, you are sticking them into separate little fermenters.

Each one is it's own little microcosm, a tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

With living micro-organisms there is always a wildcard factor in play. Two complete fermentations (and bottle conditioning is just another fermentation) can behave differently due to even the slightest change in enviorment, especially temps.

I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

Bottom line, it's not that the sugar's not mixed, it's just that they all haven't come up to full carb yet....Three weeks is not the magic number for finality, it's the minimum time it takes....

I've bottled THOUSANDS of gallons of beer, I've never mixed, and I've NEVER not have every single bottle in a batch not be carbed eventually.

One of these days I'm going to make a perfectly clear bottling bucket, color my 2 cups priming solution with food coloring, point 3 different cameras at it from three different angles, rack my beer onto it, so folks can see the color dissipate into the beer, and finally put this nonsense to bed.....

That's one epic rant, but I agree entirely. While I haven't done thousands of gallons, I do know enough about fluids that they will be mixed enough just from the siphoning. There will be currents in your beer as you are siphoning that will mix it up, along with when you start bottling more currents will form to the spigot.

I firmly believe that the not mixing issuse is a myth. The mere racking is enough to integrate the two fluids just fine.

You're talking 2 little teeny cups of liquid being overwhelmed by 5 gallons of liquid of pretty much the same density- It's impossible for it not to be mixed up

We're not talking oil and water, we're talking sugar water and alcoholic sugar water....it's not much difference.

Some beers can take 6-8 weeks or more to fully pop and the fact that a few bottles may be carbed only means that those were a little warmer than the rest of them, NOT that some got more sugar than others.

What folks seem to forget is that when you stick the beer in the bottles, you are sticking them into separate little fermenters.

Each one is it's own little microcosm, a tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

With living micro-organisms there is always a wildcard factor in play. Two complete fermentations (and bottle conditioning is just another fermentation) can behave differently due to even the slightest change in enviorment, especially temps.

I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

Bottom line, it's not that the sugar's not mixed, it's just that they all haven't come up to full carb yet....Three weeks is not the magic number for finality, it's the minimum time it takes....

I've bottled THOUSANDS of gallons of beer, I've never mixed, and I've NEVER not have every single bottle in a batch not be carbed eventually.

One of these days I'm going to make a perfectly clear bottling bucket, color my 2 cups priming solution with food coloring, point 3 different cameras at it from three different angles, rack my beer onto it, so folks can see the color dissipate into the beer, and finally put this nonsense to bed.....

That experiment that you want to do sounds like a great idea. Perhaps it's the beer I made. I usually try one after a week and is more cabonated than the one I just cracked (this was only after 5 days rather than 7). I will reply in a couple of weeks to communicate my results.

I guess that means you have to brew another, less malty beer now. Gotta keep the wife happy, and you get to brew again. It's a win-win! :mug:

Yeah, she likes IPA's, as do I. But, I am getting tired of brewing only IPA's. Therefore, last weekend I brewed a Black IPA with an O.G. of 1.082. Lookng forward to it. Damn, it cost me $62- to make. It better be good at that price. It's still fermenting after 6 days!!!! Cheers!

Back