If you think you ruined your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed my Beer gt it cooled and in primary,went to take it upstairs,like a ******* did not go up and turn a light on. Got tot the top of the stairs and missed and must have miscounted my steps,fell head first into a chest f drawers and bled into my brew.Just to let you know hw it turned out I am drinking ne as I type this. brewed and carbed up fine.

Relax, blood used to be added to brew as a fermentation enhancer before they knew about yeast and nutrients and stuff. In fact, in my cider book it says some cider makers would hang a goat leg in the fermenting vat to help with fermentation. That kind of thing helps you to understand how we can get a little over the top with our sanitation concerns ;)

Relax, blood used to be added to brew as a fermentation enhancer before they knew about yeast and nutrients and stuff. In fact, in my cider book it says some cider makers would hang a goat leg in the fermenting vat to help with fermentation. That kind of thing helps you to understand how we can get a little over the top with our sanitation concerns ;)

Seriously?

How about in South America somewhere where the village women chew on something then spit it into a pot then ferment the stuff????:drunk:

TimT said:
I don't doubt it. They used to put a pigs leg in scrumpy (strong apple cider) Adds body LOL Probably the same reason as with the goat, for nutrients for the yeast.

Started with rats going to drink from open fermentors, actually.

kh54s10 said:
How about in South America somewhere where the village women chew on something then spit it into a pot then ferment the stuff????:drunk:

That's chicha.

They chew on corn so that the amylase in their saliva converts the starches to sugars, and then keep the chewed up corn. It's an alternative to mashing, since they didn't malt grains to provide the amylase for them.

That's very different though - it's not a sanitary issue at all, since it ends up being boiled afterwards anyways.

Brewed my Beer gt it cooled and in primary,went to take it upstairs,like a ******* did not go up and turn a light on. Got tot the top of the stairs and missed and must have miscounted my steps,fell head first into a chest f drawers and bled into my brew.Just to let you know hw it turned out I am drinking ne as I type this. brewed and carbed up fine.

Now we just need to experiment with different blood types... :mug:

Back