Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw / Gouden Carolus Grand Cru Of The Emperor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
BLAM has the specs, albeit vague, Looking for anyone who has even seen any aditional information on the beer beyond the specs BLAM offers.

It's so freakin' great, deliciousness and heaven in a 75cl, but there doesn't seem to be any info from the hombrewing community on how to clone this one. Any experiences would help!

Hi,
New to the forum and I am trying to track down Cuvee can de Keizer clone recipes.
Can anyone out there help me out?

PC

I am on a business trip in Grand Rapids, Michigan this week, and had dinner and a few pints at Hop Cat. (If you've never been to Hop Cat, put it on your bucket list... the place is amazing.) I spoke with one of their bartenders who is very knowledgeable about Belgian ales, and after discussing home brewing and our mutual love for Belgian ales, I asked him to bring me "something special." He said, "I have something for you that isn't on the menu, I'll be back in a minute." After vanishing for a about 5 minutes, he emerges with a 2008 Cuvee Van De Keizer Golden Caroulus Blauw... It was so amazingly plum, raisin, fig, caramel, malt, sweet, alcoholishly wonderful, I ended up sharing the bottle with my "new friends" at the bar. If anyone has a clone, I'll be very interested!

Veritas, do you have a copy of Brew Like A Monk? I'd love to hammer out a recipe back and forth in this thread and put one together after deciding all the little details. How are you at recipe design?

Veritas said:
I am on a business trip in Grand Rapids, Michigan this week, and had dinner and a few pints at Hop Cat. (If you've never been to Hop Cat, put it on your bucket list... the place is amazing.) I spoke with one of their bartenders who is very knowledgeable about Belgian ales, and after discussing home brewing and our mutual love for Belgian ales, I asked him to bring me "something special." He said, "I have something for you that isn't on the menu, I'll be back in a minute." After vanishing for a about 5 minutes, he emerges with a 2008 Cuvee Van De Keizer Golden Caroulus Blauw... It was so amazingly plum, raisin, fig, caramel, malt, sweet, alcoholishly wonderful, I ended up sharing the bottle with my "new friends" at the bar. If anyone has a clone, I'll be very interested!

If you are still in town I highly recommend you go check out the new Belgian style brewery "Brewery Vivant" on Cherry street-good beer, awesome food, and stupendous people watching. :)

If you are still in town I highly recommend you go check out the new Belgian style brewery "Brewery Vivant" on Cherry street-good beer, awesome food, and stupendous people watching. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, KnightRyder. I'm in Grand Rapids about once a month, so I'll go check it out. This last trip, I made it to Hop Cat one night, and hung out at Founders my second night! My business trips are all about the beer. :mug:

Veritas, do you have a copy of Brew Like A Monk? I'd love to hammer out a recipe back and forth in this thread and put one together after deciding all the little details. How are you at recipe design?

Hey DannPM... funny you should ask, I just bought "Brew Like A Monk." I've just started reading it. As for building recipes, I've designed a few batches. (Okay, to be honest, most of them are more like taking one of Ed Wort's recipes and adding some special B or a handful of honey malt and calling it "mine." :eek:)

So yes, let's collaborate, and maybe get a bunch of us trying to build one up. I'll take a shot at starting a recipe in beersmith. Feel free to do the same if you want to.

Has anyone come up with a Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blue clone yet? I'd really like to take a stab at it...

I haven't brewed it yet but I came up with a starting point recipe. I'll post tonight when I am back home at my computer

I too would love to have a recipe for this beer. It is my all time favorite and would love to try and make it.

Anyone?? Please!

Just stumbled onto this thread, as I'm looking for a clone recipe, too. I had some the other night, and HOLY CRAP was it delicious! Let us know how your recipe turns out!

Rochefort 10 is pretty close in my opinion and there are tons of recipes out there for it. It might make a good starting point. If you haven't tried Rochefort 10 yet give it a try and see whet you think.

KnightRyder said:

Hey KnightRyder, this was an ancient post, but recently I went back to Grand Rapids and went to Brewery Vivant. It was Belgian ale Heaven! Thanks for the recommendation.

harry_the_face said:
I will ask again... Anyone? I would be willing to brew and give feedback if someone has a starter recipe.

It's still on my radar, too. I did brew 10 gallons of Belgian Dark Strong with juniper, sweet orange peel, and coriander that I drew my first pint from last night. It's still a little young, but at 9.8% ABV, it's a warmer!

Veritas said:
Hey KnightRyder, this was an ancient post, but recently I went back to Grand Rapids and went to Brewery Vivant. It was Belgian ale Heaven! Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad you liked it! I was just there again on Monday, great place!

harry_the_face said:
Veritas,
So do you think it has a flavor similar to the other one?

Not really. My dark strong has a wonderfully complex malt character with adjuncts of orange peel, coriander, juniper, (and a few other things) with a nice yeast character, but it is a different beer altogether. It's mighty tasty though, I must say...

Back