Mr. Malty Yeast Concentration Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
I am about to use my first yeast wash for a batch tomorrow and was forwarded to the Mr.Malty site. I am currently on the Repitching from Slurry with an OG of 1.056 with a 5.25 US Gallons. My question is how do I know where to put the scale for the yeast concentration from thick to thin?

Even if it was the thinnest on the scale the highest ammount of yeast they are telling me to pitch is 251ml. That is at it's thinnest. I have around 350ml of good yeast to use but don't want to overpitch. I know they say to pitch an extra 25% if not using a starter of which I'm not. I think I have enough to go without. Anyways, some insight would be great.

Thanks guys. I just need to add that this site is an amazing resource with a very talented group of people. It's great that we have a resource to access like this. Cheers guys :mug:

Is the 350ml all yeast sediment? Did you put the yeast in the fridg?

The yeast has been in the fridge for about a month. There are two layers. The beery liquidy layer on top which I am going to pour most of it off, the rest is the yeasty white bottom.

I have two 500ml mason jars of which both are about half full. There is a good 350ml of solid yeast layer total between the two of them.

Back