lactobacillus!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
In the past 6 months or so I have had 4-5 beers taste very off, but could never identify what was wrong. Last night I finally got 2 of these "off" beers in front of a few senior judges, and I the beers were infected with lactobacillus. How do I get rid of this, are there any guidelines, ie replacing certain equipment, cleaning other equipment a certain way, etc? Currently every 2-3 batches come out with a very sour, undesirable taste, and this is obviously unacceptable to me.

My current cleaning/sanitation procedure is to empty and rinse the carboys or buckets after racking, then soak in Oxiclean for a few hours, then put away. When brewing everything that touches the wort post boil gets soaked in either StarSan or Iodophor. I don't know what I could be doing better sanitation wise, but obviously I'm not doing enough!

What environmental factors could be contributing to this, IE are there certain foods or items that could be increasing my risk of infection?

Are there scratches in any of your equipment? How well do you rinse? Do you need to change any hoses?
Also, do you notice the taste when the beer is in the bottling bucket or after it has been in bottles? This would narrow the infection down to a certain part of your process...

Yeah, I crush the grain a few feet from where I eventually boil, cool, and rack the wort, I'll have to change that!

What about equipment sanitation, would this potentially indicate that my sanitation practices are ok, or are there certain steps I should take to ensure this, IE somehow deep cleaning my equipment and/or replacing certain other equipment?

Replace all plastic. Hose, siphons, buckets, airlocks, bungs. Give everything else a good soak, scrub, and Star San soak.

I would start with just moving where you crush the grains, I would not be suprised if that cleared the whole issue up. I doubt it is in your equipment/sanitation regimen since it is only an occasional issue. Sounds like grain dust to me.

Back