Top Off Volume Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbRedGetta

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm currently boiling a clone recipe that says to top off to 5.5 gallons. Just wanted to run it by someone with more experience to make sure that seems appropriate (all the kits I've made before have been 5 gallons).

Here's the recipe I'm doing:

6.6 lbs Munton's Light LME
2.0 lbs Munton's Plain Light DME
1.0 lb Breiss 2-row malt
1.0 lb Breiss crystal malt
20 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins)
17.6 AAU Centennial hops (0 mins, steep 5 mins)
17.6 AAU Centennial hops (dry hop)
California Ale Yeast WLP001

My LHBS threw in a packet of dry yeast to add, too.

Thanks!

If it says 5.5 gallons, that's probably accurate. Different places design differently sized batches, and most places know how to use brew-software to predict gravity. If you have a target OG, it's easy enough to check.

The only thing I am skeptical about is that you should use both CalAle and the dry yeast. If it is US-05 that stuff is basically the same as CalAle, but still that seems strange to me for some reason.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I ended up filling to 5.5, and yes, you were correct. I just barely missed the OG (73 with a 75 target).

The dry yeast was US-05. The guy at my LHBS threw it in (I'm guessing) to ensure a full fermentation. I'm assuming it's overkill, but will it have a negative effect on anything? I'm planning on doing 3 weeks in the primary before dry-hopping for another week or so (also in the primary). This is my first time letting a batch go that long, but after browsing around the site it seems like it's pretty common to let them go that long.

I would either ONLY use the US-05 after rehydrating it
OR
I would make a starter with WLP001 and only pitch it.

I think he gave you extra dry yeast becuase he assumed you won't make a starter as a novice brewer.

I've already pitched, so I'll just have to remember that for next time. Any chance I'll get a strong yeast flavor in this batch by pitching all that yeast? Or do you think by giving it a month enough of it will drop out?

I've already pitched, so I'll just have to remember that for next time. Any chance I'll get a strong yeast flavor in this batch by pitching all that yeast? Or do you think by giving it a month enough of it will drop out?

It will be fine. The LHBS guy's thinking was probably just as malkore said, and WLP001 and US05 are pretty much the same strain. It is an odd thing to do, but I don't think it will be harmful. It's kind of like filling your gas tank half with Shell and half with BP before setting out on a trip. I'm sure the reason he gave you the US-05 rather than another WL vial is just that the dry yeast is a lot cheaper.

In the future, look into yeast pitching rates, but I'm sure this will be a great beer.

Back