Thoughts on Irish Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
Recipe: Irish Red Ale
Brewer: Justin
Asst Brewer: N/A
Style: Irish Red Ale
Type: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 17.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

Amount Item
7.00 lb Munich Liquid Extract
0.375 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.375 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
0.125 lb Roasted Barley
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent (60 min)
1 Pkgs Wyeast Labs #1084

Looks good, I just bottled a very similar recipe last night and the sample tasted great. Mine had 1# brown sugar added to boil last 5 minutes to up the fermentables and boost abv. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of Irish in the beer.

What color is the LME?? I would use a pale LME/DME for an extract Irish red ale... You could, optionally, add a small amount of hops at 5 minutes (or less) left in the boil... Some EKG or Fuggles come to mind... I did that for my Irish red that was bottled this past weekend. Looking good so far (will know for certain once it's carbonated fully).

I wonder if the munich extract might make it too malty tasting? irish reds are somewhat dry beers.

Good call golddiggie, I should have mentioned that I had a 5 minute addition of Fuggles.

I mashed mine at 154 for 90 minutes... Came out pretty damned good... OG of 1.064, FG of 1.018... Not as low as the style would like, but I did start off a bit higher. :D Figure it's just a hair over 6% ABV...

I like the flavor you get from Fuggles and EKG with late additions... How much are you adding?

I'm not sure I would be overly concerned with an Irish red being "too malty". I think the roasted barley he's using will help with the slightly dry finish. Overall, Irish and Scottish ales are pretty malt focused.

I did mine PM, so after steeping some specialty grains and boiling lme and brown sugar mine started at 1.060 and finished at 1.014, just like you said right at 6%. I can't remember, I think I used Notty for my yeast.

What color is the LME?? I would use a pale LME/DME for an extract Irish red ale... You could, optionally, add a small amount of hops at 5 minutes (or less) left in the boil... Some EKG or Fuggles come to mind... I did that for my Irish red that was bottled this past weekend. Looking good so far (will know for certain once it's carbonated fully).

It is approximately 8 SRM.

I wonder if the munich extract might make it too malty tasting? irish reds are somewhat dry beers.

The Munich extract is a blend of 40% Munich malt and 60% 2-row.

Back