BAND AID flavor only in IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
The only 2 batches that have had "band aid" flavor out of my 70 or so, have been the 2 most hopped beers I have made.

I chalked it up to crappy luck.

a recent suggestion that hops can react strangely with water chemistry(in a similarly named thread ;)) made me think that maybe it is something else.

Any thoughts?

Hops are high in phenols so you are more likely to get insidious levels of chlorophenol with small amounts of chlorine in a highly hopped beer (smoked beers suffer the same problem).

So I think a small residual amount of chlorine is making it into your beer. If you are using filtration to remove chlorine, campden is probably more fail-safe.

I DON'T use chlorine, but perhaps my local water is great for normal brews, but not good for IPA's?

How crappy.....

I did find a cover for BAND AID flavor though.....

With my lupuline shift I taste the band aid, everyone else (including my hardest critic, my dad) taste a very hoppy IPA.....DELICIOUS is the only comment I've gotten.

I plan to give my dad the whole case i have left for Christmas.;)

Back