Fermentation Chambers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsyDragon

Reaction score
DIY Fermentation Chambers plans are very easy to find on the internet and some are easer to follow than others. while i applaud those of you who have the equipment, know how, and inclination to build your own, i sadly do not. you would think with all the home brewers all over the world some company somewhere would come up with a ready made chamber that you could just plug in and use or at the very least a kit with all the parts and recommendations on refrigerator models to use. but so far my goggle searches have come up with only DIY projects.

ideally the fermentation chamber would be a perfectly normal mini-fridge with no modifications to fit a carboy and use a temperature controller. i know this is unrealistic. for one the door shelves need to be removed and most have a "freezer" unit that would need to come out. not to mention many mini-fridges have an annoying shelf in the back where the compressor is making the bottom way to weak to support a full carboy.

You make a good point. I would pay for a turnkey fermentation chamber.

Right now I have a swamp-cooler style setup and I hate it. I am in the works of putting together my final setup. I am going for a single "unit fermentor". Each fermentor unit will consist of a nuCool 2.8 cu.ft. fridge, a dual stage temp controller, and a heating pad.

This setup provides heat for winter ales and cold for summer ales and lagering. And with only one fermentor per unit you can have multiple units at different temps (which is the downside of a single freezer/fridge for multiple carboys). The cost is about 300$ per "fermentor unit", but the compact size and ease of use makes it a pretty reasonable cost.

Having said that I am sure it should be possible to productize a carboy sized fridge with a real compressor (instead of the thermoelectric nuCool) integrated with a heating pad and temp controller for less than 300$.

I have a fridge I got on craigslist for 50 bucks and a ranco controller for another 50 bucks. all I had to do was remove the shelves and the freezer shelf. it fits tight in there but works.

if you need a pic let me know

I have a fridge I got on craigslist for 50 bucks and a ranco controller for another 50 bucks. all I had to do was remove the shelves and the freezer shelf. it fits tight in there but works.

if you need a pic let me know

what make and model of fridge is it? ... and yes please show some pics.

Back