How many IBU's in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahilly

Reaction score
Does anyone know this?

Reason I ask...I have consumed many SNPA's in my day, and in doing so came to realize that I don't care much for highly hopped beer (which is SN's forte). I see this as somewhat of a shame, because for several years I used to live just minutes from the SN brewery, so you'd think I would have developed a taste for it over time. Not so. Anyway, knowing the IBU's of SNPA will give me a frame of reference for the amount of "hopitude" to avoid when brewing my own beer. Thanks in advance!

remember, though, that ibu's are just one part of the picture. guinness extra stout can be up to 60 ibu and it seems less bitter and hoppy than sierra. gravity, finishing hops, alcohol content, carbonation etc. all have an effect on perceived bitterness or hoppiness.

i like sierra a lot but i do find its hop character a bit harsh compared to some other pale ales of similar bitterness. check out mirror pond pale ale from deschutes for the other end of the spectrum, and a favorite of mine is dale's pale ale from oskar blues.

you may also find that lots of hop bitterness just isn't your thing, which still leaves you plenty of options for beers to brew.

SNPA is a bit light in hop flavor IMO. I like it as a good hoppy pale, but I prefer a good IPA when I'm going hopping. I've had some IPAs that tasted light on the hops and that was due the other factors. Also, I can very much enjoy a less hoppy beer, that has tons of hop aroma.

Back