Maris Otter prices bulk buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am really tempted to buy a 55lb sack of maris otter in a bulk buy going on here but I wanted to see if the price is appropriate. Crisp maris otter is selling for $54 (98 cents/lb) and rahr 2 row is 34.25 (69 cents/lb)for 50 lbs. I know there are other threads about this but I couldnt really find any recent posts with prices. What would you get if you could only get one bag?

Both of those are by far my favorite two base malts. Both prices seem excellent, I pay 1.35 for Rahr and 1.80 for MO. I think Rahr is a little more versatile but but absolutely love MO, especially for SMaSH. Tough choice, I might have to get both as I really like doing blends of the two. 34.25 for a sack of Rahr is a crazy deal though, hard to pass up. Where exactly are you finding these prices?

for that price, I might switch all my beers over to MO. That's about $20 cheaper than I can get it for - though the price on Rahr is about what I pay

Those are pretty much in line with my LHBS everyday bulk prices. Your LHBS is smart to do a bulk buy like that for its customers.

I use mostly 2-row or Pale Malt so that's what I would buy, but it depends on what you brew and like.

Wow, I feel great about my last bulk buy. Thomas Faucet and Sons Maris Otter for $.69 a pound. There is a member of our brew club who has a commercial account with a distributor. They no longer accept individual accounts, but, lucky for us, they honor their existing ones, which he's had for like 15 years.
We ended up getting something like 18 bags of grain, all for dirt cheap. The key is going big so, not only do you get good price on the malt, but also a better deal on shipping.

Back