Patches forming after 6 days in secondary (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
First time using a secondary and first time dry hopping so imagine my surprise when after 6 days I see what may be krausen forming when waking up to change out the ice bottles.

img1199e.jpg

<script src='http://img41.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=img1198z.jpg' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> </noscript>

Hmm... curious, but not worrisome, I think. Maybe your yeast went idle due to lack of oxygen, and transferring to secondary added enough to let them get a little bit crazy again.

Hmm... curious, but not worrisome, I think. Maybe your yeast went idle due to lack of oxygen, and transferring to secondary added enough to let them get a little bit crazy again.

I would of expected them to come up earlier. The only reason I'm thinking its yeast clumps coming up is from the ring around the perimeter of the carboy.

Lets just hope it stops soon so I can gelatin it.

4 hours later and all signs of the white patches/ring around the outside rim have disappeared.

Should I let my secondary warm up to the low 60s to see if it wants to try and ferment out more?

Bumping.

Should I let this warm back up to fermentation temps to see if it wants to restart then crash cool and add gelatin? How often is it that it wants to restart after transferring to secondary?

Looks like pellet hop particles to me.

Those refuse to sink but in between the hop particles and around the rim it looked like it was trying to re krausen itself. Then after changing ice packs it dropped out again. Just wondering if I should let the temp rise to avoid it kicking off again in the bottle.

Are you cold crashing it? If not and if the beer was pretty much done when you racked it to secondary there is no need to keep cooling it unless it is very warm where the fermenter is. What was your gravity when you moved the beer and how long has it been since you brewed it?

Are you cold crashing it? If not and if the beer was pretty much done when you racked it to secondary there is no need to keep cooling it unless it is very warm where the fermenter is. What was your gravity when you moved the beer and how long has it been since you brewed it?

Busted my hydrometer.... again. So I gave it three weeks to go. The reason for the ice is because when I'm not home during the day the AC is off and the house will hit mid-upper 80s during the day not here and everyone seems to be cold conditioning their dry hopping in kegs, seemed like a good idea to me.

Well let it warm back up to 58 degrees and its starting to rekrausen on my with a tiny head of foam. Good thing I didn't bottle it yet.

Yeah, when in doubt give it more time.

An extra week in the carboy can be annoying, but not as annoying as bottle bombs. ;)

SOB just thought about something. I'm almost to the neck on the secondary. If this krausens too big I'm going to be dealing with blow off again.

I could,t imagine it has much fermenting left to do but you cold install a blow off tube just to be safe if you are concerned about it making a mess.

Back