☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man wish I could! I got those speakers I was talking about. Each one is a 12 inch woofer and a mid and tweet. Im happier than a pig in mud! They weigh 120 lbs each or something. So that and the surprise disney trip coming up, I am going to roast what I got. But its nice coffee. A couple pounds left of the guat geisha, some more banko and a little hanabongi.

It happened. My wife pulled blueberry out of the banko! Extraction. My wife made a ridiculously strong pot and sure enough that subtle fruit flavor formed blueberry voltron. Man blueberry scone. I saw a video where joe marraco confirmed my suspicion that lighter denser coffee extracts less than dark porous roasts. I have seen at 7 eleven among other places a small amount of porous dark roasts making big pots of coffee. With a light roast wouldnt be good. So yeah, a strong roast revealed some blueberry character.

What may any of the recommendations be for a grinder that is consistent and built for quantity? I have an encore that I use for daily drip, vacuum, or pour overs. I have the sette for grinding my espresso. It is a major pita when I need to grind 1+ pounds at a single time using the encore. Plus, I don't think ole girl will sustain taking a beating like that for long...haven't had successful hits when doing searches for large capacity, industrial, or commercial grinders....other than the mainstay typical user models.

What may any of the recommendations be for a grinder that is consistent and built for quantity? I have an encore that I use for daily drip, vacuum, or pour overs. I have the sette for grinding my espresso. It is a major pita when I need to grind 1+ pounds at a single time using the encore. Plus, I don't think ole girl will sustain taking a beating like that for long...haven't had successful hits when doing searches for large capacity, industrial, or commercial grinders....other than the mainstay typical user models.
Bunn G1! Top notch grinder for drip, built to last for restaurants, and you can find used ones cheap if you look around.

Man wish I could! I got those speakers I was talking about. Each one is a 12 inch woofer and a mid and tweet. Im happier than a pig in mud! They weigh 120 lbs each or something. So that and the surprise disney trip coming up, I am going to roast what I got. But its nice coffee. A couple pounds left of the guat geisha, some more banko and a little hanabongi.

It happened. My wife pulled blueberry out of the banko! Extraction. My wife made a ridiculously strong pot and sure enough that subtle fruit flavor formed blueberry voltron. Man blueberry scone. I saw a video where joe marraco confirmed my suspicion that lighter denser coffee extracts less than dark porous roasts. I have seen at 7 eleven among other places a small amount of porous dark roasts making big pots of coffee. With a light roast wouldnt be good. So yeah, a strong roast revealed some blueberry character.
Funny, I came back to say that we've pulled blueberry out of the Banko, too.
I roasted just to FC+ and we let it rest a week and sure enough, there it is.

It's coming through in a pourover as well as an espresso shot.

(another reply to the same post)

I'm sure you've seen the bunn grinders at grocery stores and restaurants. The surprise is that they're great grinders despite the fact that they are widely used for bad coffee. :) You can often find them for <$200 used because of their popularity, probably <$100 if you're patient or lucky. Do a google search for "bunnzilla" and you'll find lots of information, including burr replacement options, which include ditting and redspeed. They are rather large grinders though, not something most people would have in a kitchen.

+1 those bunns are ubiquitous and seem the right solution. 200 is about their low iirc.
(another reply to the same post)

I'm sure you've seen the bunn grinders at grocery stores and restaurants. The surprise is that they're great grinders despite the fact that they are widely used for bad coffee. :) You can often find them for <$200 used because of their popularity, probably <$100 if you're patient or lucky. Do a google search for "bunnzilla" and you'll find lots of information, including burr replacement options, which include ditting and redspeed. They are rather large grinders though, not something most people would have in a kitchen.

Haven't been lucky I guess. Either that or my search skills suck!!!:confused: Lowest I have found is for $250...and it is for local pick up only....in Michigan! Still looking....they definitely look like they'll do the job, and yeah!!! most people don't have them....weighing in at close to 50 pounds and standing almost 2 feet tall they are not for the space conscience oriented!!!

Only one available here, and its 250 as well. Offer 200 and voila, 200 :)

They come and they go, like everything else. I wouldn't say your search skills suck, but I would say that a killer deal could come up tomorrow, or maybe next year. Never know, sometimes there are 4 or 5 available at once and now, just one.
Haven't been lucky I guess. Either that or my search skills suck!!!:confused: Lowest I have found is for $250...and it is for local pick up only....in Michigan! Still looking....they definitely look like they'll do the job, and yeah!!! most people don't have them....weighing in at close to 50 pounds and standing almost 2 feet tall they are not for the space conscience oriented!!!

Man, feel like I really missed out on the mystery bean thread. So much fun reading the guesses and hearing about your roasts. Interestingly htb and someone else described what they tasted and it was ethiopian to a t, but then you guessed Kenyan. Man its alot easier playing arm chair quarterback. It is like watching a game of chess, I seem to have bettet insight than sitting in the hot seat. I have yet to have any kenyans that were likr Ethiopians, which one is, aa or ab. I feel like its good ab that i havent had, and have drank mostly aa or maybe I have that backwards

Super impressed with the tasting notes by pretty much all. I could spot the ethiopians a mile away with your notes (since that is pretty much all i drink, i am very familiar). While the others were harder to guess, still damn good notes, wow.

Man, feel like I really missed out on the mystery bean thread. So much fun reading the guesses and hearing about your roasts. Interestingly htb and someone else described what they tasted and it was ethiopian to a t, but then you guessed Kenyan. Man its alot easier playing arm chair quarterback. It is like watching a game of chess, I seem to have bettet insight than sitting in the hot seat. I have yet to have any kenyans that were likr Ethiopians, which one is, aa or ab. I feel like its good ab that i havent had, and have drank mostly aa or maybe I have that backwards

Super impressed with the tasting notes by pretty much all. I could spot the ethiopians a mile away with your notes (since that is pretty much all i drink, i am very familiar). While the others were harder to guess, still damn good notes, wow.

I’ll be sure to tag you on the next one and we would love for you and others to join. At this point I think I may wait until after the holidays unless there’s a demand to do one sooner. [emoji6]

Haha, roasted not an Ethiopian yesterday. One of the last two pounds of my guat geisha. I have a headlight that shines in there and that shows the roast. I can watch it as little or as much as I like I realize.

Well good thing i was watching because I noticed the crack getting much darker than the bean, so i went to 5 of 6 power for a minute and as you can see in picks, they evened out. Super happy I was right because it cracked at 1030 and if I didnt turn it down it would have cracked earlier and been a mess-to dark out to light inside. Took various pics of the roast as it seems hard to capture.

It hit 1c at 1030ish and what a violent crack it was. Loud and rapid. I kept an eye one it but got scared some were going into 2c so pulled at 41 sec after. For me 1c and 2c can come too close together. But any development of a coffee like this past 1c and its all but ruined to my liking. Loud and rapid fire like a brick of fireceackers going off, pulled it and it was popping like a mf in the strainer. Then it stopped, I think it finished 1c in the strainer right before I hit it with the blower. Really sweet this morning with minimal scorch. This is a good roast. Just like the other 3 pounds it drinks like the hanabongi not quite as good as the banko. Nothing I have had yet I like better than the best examples of Ethiopian yc dp natural.

Speaking of which here is the banko from jammin and hana. Just like the other good yc naturals there are little itty bitty beans in it. Compared to the hana (a fine coffee no doubt) there are smaller, need to zoom in maybe. Happy cups this morning all.
20191102_160917.jpeg
20191102_160914.jpeg
20191102_160905.jpeg
20191102_160849.jpeg
Screenshot_20191103-074009.jpeg
Screenshot_20191103-073913.jpeg
20191102_154409.jpeg

Thanks, i had plenty of chances and was well invited, appreciate that!!!
I’ll be sure to tag you on the next one and we would love for you and others to join. At this point I think I may wait until after the holidays unless there’s a demand to do one sooner. [emoji6]

So....I am going to make a full batch of cold brew. I should be able to extract 5 gallons worth after grounds absorption, as I will put in at least 6 gallons of water, probably taking it to the max of 6.5 gallons. In it, I will be placing all the Colombia and the Sumatra beans I roasted yesterday, as I want it to be noticeable!:eek::D While I am still looking for a bulk grinder, I might see if I can slide into a place that has one and use it. The after roast weight in pounds for the Sumatra is .868, and the post roast weight of the Colombia is 4.19, which brings the total a tad over 5 pounds of coffee going in. Can you say coffee concentrate?!!! lmao!!! I took the beans up to 2nd crack as I want a nice "darkish" base for mixing....anything with it...whether it is more water, beer, or cream/milk.

Last edited:
NO 5lb bags left if anyone wants one:
Anyone interested in splitting some of this Honey Processed Ethiopian? No berries mentioned, just a real comfort food sounding type coffee.
CJ1317 - Ethiopia Hafursa Waro “Tej” Process Crown Jewel

Notes:
- 9 minute roast time yielded flavors of "cooked peach, cantaloupe & honey nut Cheerios". Good for espresso.
- High Density. Mostly small screen size of 15/16 with less than avg moisture.
- $137.50/22lbs = $6.25/lb. $7.55 Priority Mail shipping for a total of $38.80 for 5lbs on your doorstep.

(1) 5lb bags to share with the gang :) 2lb kicker if someone wants a small bag. PM me w/shipping addy to get dialed in
- @Inkleg got you!

Had a heck of a time getting Artisan reading my temp probes this weekend. Thank goodness I have a friend who is an expert on all things Artisan. Had to reinstall Phidgets(22) drivers, upgrade to Artisan 2.0 from 1.5 and finally, re-authorize Phidgets to send data. Yikes...
So all that considered Im pretty happy with the first roast of the Tej processed Crown Jewel. Get a LOT of 1C activity and seemed to keep everything else between the lines. Id like to decrease the crash @ 1C a little but im not sure how to go about that and keep development time net temp gain under a minute.
Ethi Hafursa Waro F 11:3:19.alog.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work fixing that. Glad to hear you found the solution, sounds like you got it sorted out. Curious what you are referring to at the end of your post about crash at 1c. I think I understand but not sure.
2 5lb bags left if anyone wants one:

Had a heck of a time getting Artisan reading my temp probes this weekend. Thank goodness I have a friend who is an expert on all things Artisan. Had to reinstall Phidgets(22) drivers, upgrade to Artisan 2.0 from 1.5 and finally, re-authorize Phidgets to send data. Yikes...
So all that considered Im pretty happy with the first roast of the Tej processed Crown Jewel. Get a LOT of 1C activity and seemed to keep everything else between the lines. Id like to decrease the crash @ 1C a little but im not sure how to go about that and keep development time net temp gain under a minute.
View attachment 651008

Well.....bit it...not just the bullet...barrel too! On Thursday, November 7th I should have in my possession, a slightly used Bunn G3. Which really doesn't bug me cuz I won't have to go thru the break in of it! Unless, of coarse it is more than slightly used where the burrs are needing to be replaced. Hopefully I can get some use out of it before then.

2 5lb bags left if anyone wants one:

View attachment 651008
Coincidentally, I had trouble with my ET probe the last few roasts. Swapped it out before roasting some of that Crown Jewel Guat (thanks, @Ruint) just now.

Didn't know that there was an artisan 2.0, going to have to check that out.

What was the problem you experienced?
These two roasts basically lay it out there:
View media item 70561View media item 70560With the first one, it started acting up during the pre-heat, the second was the next roast and it just didn't work properly. Odd thing is, it reads close to correctly at room temp, but as the roaster heats up it's obviously off. I swapped it out for one of the original large temp probes that came with my roaster, which made tonight's roast much better:
View media item 70562

Thats puzzling to say the least. Sounds like a continuity issue maybe? The last probe issue I had was due to cement failure so the probe was pulling out of the sheath. Since it wasn't at the tip, temps were sliding off & it really threw me for a loop.
When your's fails it appears to snap to 160* and just hold?

Nice looking curves though! How's the coffee tasting lately - any break throughs with the roasting technique now that you've had for a while?

I cupped the Hafursa Crown Jewel this morning on 24hrs rest. Id say the notes are pretty spot on for this coffee. Looking forward to seeing how it tastes in a week.

Thats puzzling to say the least. Sounds like a continuity issue maybe? The last probe issue I had was due to cement failure so the probe was pulling out of the sheath. Since it wasn't at the tip, temps were sliding off & it really threw me for a loop.
When your's fails it appears to snap to 160* and just hold?

Nice looking curves though! How's the coffee tasting lately - any break throughs with the roasting technique now that you've had for a while?

I cupped the Hafursa Crown Jewel this morning on 24hrs rest. Id say the notes are pretty spot on for this coffee. Looking forward to seeing how it tastes in a week.
Yeah, i was definitely scratching my head at first. The other times that i've had issues with probes, they read temps that were obviously VERY far off (like -1 or 650) in artisan. Starting off accurate, but then the ET staying lower than BT was really just weird. I'm glad that there's a dial thermometer right by that probe that confirmed the correct temps.

Primary "breakthrough" is really pretty dumb. Initially, i was playing around with smaller batch sizes thinking that a smaller batch would give me more heat (relatively speaking) and better control. It just didn't work out that way. I've had much better results with 450-500g charges. Of course, this is just a matter of listening to MC since they say that their roasters are really best at their stated capacities.

I've fallen into a routine for roasting now: 95% power for the whole roast, fan at 30% at the start, 50% at DE, 70% just before 1c. Yesterday's roast was exactly what I was shooting for, so I'm pretty excited to try that coffee in a few days. I think i'm going to play some with higher airflow and see what that does for me.

Really happy with the roaster though. Roasting with the behmor had started to feel like a chore. Maybe I'll get there again after enough time with the MC, but so far it hasn't been an issue at all. Better batch size is a big part of that, but the machine is also much nicer to use.

So, the talk about bulk grinders in the last week made me take another look at grinders for sale locally. Saturday, I stumbled upon a vague ad on CL for coffee grinders with a picture that looked quite interesting. Turns out, it was the same seller that I almost bought the La Marzocco Linea from a couple weeks ago. He had pictures of two grinders, both of which I instantly recognized, and the ad said that he had four. Asking price: $100 each. I emailed and got a reply this morning. Talked to the seller on the phone, and again, he didn't really know what he had, he was just trying to get some cash out of foreclosed cafe. I knew I wanted one of the grinders, and my wife was able to go there this afternoon. She got all four grinders for $325! They all need some cleanup and some parts, but I got:

Ditting 805 (Mahlkonig Tanzania)
Mazzer Super Jolly
2x Mazzer Mini

The ditting is the one I wanted. the Mazzers might not be worth the effort, but for the price, I'll clean them up some and try them out!

EDIT: app doesn't want to let me post pics. I'll try again later...

EDIT: now with pics!
IMG_3248.jpeg

IMG_3249.jpeg

Last edited:
Man...you lucky Dawg!!! TallDan. Scored big there!!! Happy for ya!!! I'll have my G3 soon enough...but I SAS didn't make out like that!
I wanted to ask if any of you are as impressed with the Legacy Farms Lempira Red Honey as I am. That is a fantastic coffee, and everyone I have let try some, want it! Been able to hone my skills in on roasting with the bullet too! Consistently can nail 1000 gram batches, and time in between roasts are only lengthened by me typing in the information for the charts, like weight and bean name. That can be a little beast of a roasting machine! 20 steps up easily, if not more, from my Frankenroaster BM/HG. Don't get me wrong, happy as a clam in a bed of silt that I started with it, as it was a nice introduction into the world of coffee....but that hole went deep, fast!!! LMAO!!!!

Dude - that Tanz is a hell of a score and one of the very best pour over grinders money can buy. Ive got a Ditting KR804 which I assume has a very similar 80mm burr set. The grind quality is unparalleled. I've benched it against my Kafetek Monolith Flat & despite it's blinding grind speed its performs beautifully.
Not sure what you're using now now but I'm 99% sure it will be a huge upgrade.

Dude - that Tanz is a hell of a score and one of the very best pour over grinders money can buy. Ive got a Ditting KR804 which I assume has a very similar 80mm burr set. The grind quality is unparalleled. I've benched it against my Kafetek Monolith Flat & despite it's blinding grind speed its performs beautifully.
Not sure what you're using now now but I'm 99% sure it will be a huge upgrade.
Similar, but not the same burrset. The kr805/Tanzania has 80mm burs that are held in place with magnets, so there are no screws in the grind path (pic below). This is apparantly very similar to the burrset in the Lynn Weber EG-1 v2, and from what I read, SSP will sell me a set of burrs for it if i want to go that route. Not sure how obvious it is from the pic, but it and the mazzers all need some TLC. Mazzers didn't have hoppers, and the hopper on the ditting is in rough shape.

I opened up the ditting to inspect the burrs, and they feel worn (edges do not feel sharp). That's a bummer as the burrs are not cheap, but given what I paid for the grinder, I can't complain. Some elbow grease, and a set of burrs, I have a killer grinder. Add a new hopper, and some small pieces to replace on the chute and it's nearly as good as an $1800 new one.

I've kinda wanted to get a Super Jolly since it's something of a benchmark of espresso grinders, and now i have one. I know it's not a top tier grinder, but I'm going to clean it up and try it out. It looks like it needs some springs for the upper burr carrier, and I'm guessing all of these need new burrs. The mini's, well, they're the least interesting out of the bunch, but for the money I paid, I can probably find new homes for them.

I'm currently using a Baratza Vario with steel burrs for brew and a Lynn Weber HG-1 for espresso. I'd rather replace the HG-1 than the vario, but we will see how things shake out once I get some cleanup done on these grinders.
mahlkonig-tanzania-80mm-standard-replacement-burrs-310123_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Came in the mail early! Took it apart, looked at and felt the burrs. They still seem to have a crispness to the edges, as they are a bit grabby when running your fingers across them. The grinder looks practically new.
IMG_20191106_181220.jpeg
IMG_20191106_181204.jpeg

Then proceeded to run 5 pounds of beans thru it to make this....I must say it didn't take long at all to grind either! Mostly made of Colombia (4/5) and Sumatra Mandheling (1/5) with 6 gallons of spring water.
IMG_20191106_191128.jpeg

@applescrap, @shelly_belly & anyone else that has roasted the 2019 Banko. Do you remember if it was a longer or shorter roast that you noticed blueberry in the cup?
I keep bumping into posts talking about a longer roast on DP Ethiopians brings out blueberry. A recent one mentioned the shorter profiles didn’t yield any at all.
Admittedly I never roast into the 10min+ range. Wonder if I’m missing something on this coffee. Happy with the roasts I’m getting for sure but am open to suggestions

Latest posts

Back