BJCP Comp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepcdan99

Reaction score
If I were to enter an american brown ale with toasted oatmeal, do I have to put that information on the entry forms? As it is not a usual ingredient in such beers? Also, would it be disqualified, because it does have oatmeal in it? Thanks.

You can enter any beer into any category you'd like. Now, you may receive terrible scores if you enter a barleywine as an IPA, but you can still enter it as such! I usually taste my beers as I'm reading the descriptions on the category to make sure it's in the general realm of that style of beer. If it just doesn't seem like a good fit, then I usually don't enter it...rather just save the money (and the beer!)

You have a choice, and you'll need to let your palate guide you. You need to taste it and compare to the BJCP guidelines for the styles.

If you enter it as an American Brown Ale, the judges won't know about the oatmeal - if the oatmeal pushes the taste outside the Brown Ale boundaries, the judges may mark it down.

If you enter it as a Specialty Beer, you'll need to indicate the base style (American Brown Ale) and the special ingredient (toasted oatmeal). The judges will evaluate both - is it a good representation of the base style and is the special ingredient apparent, appealing, etc. If the oatmeal doesn't stand out, it may get marked down.

You have a choice, and you'll need to let your palate guide you. You need to taste it and compare to the BJCP guidelines for the styles.

If you enter it as an American Brown Ale, the judges won't know about the oatmeal - if the oatmeal pushes the taste outside the Brown Ale boundaries, the judges may mark it down.

If you enter it as a Specialty Beer, you'll need to indicate the base style (American Brown Ale) and the special ingredient (toasted oatmeal). The judges will evaluate both - is it a good representation of the base style and is the special ingredient apparent, appealing, etc. If the oatmeal doesn't stand out, it may get marked down.

This is EXCELLENT advice. The beer WILL BE JUDGED against the guidelines for the style you enter it into. If the oatmeal is even semi-perceptible I would go the specialty beer route.

If you don't mind paying to enter twice, try both categories. You'll likely get feedback from more judges that way and find out if the oatmeal is pushing you out of guidelines for the brown.

If you don't taste the oatmeal, which can be subtle too, then I wouldn't mention it. The judges are wanting to taste or notice what you mention so you can't taste/notice it, and you do in fact mention it you will most likely be marked off for it.

Yeah - unless the oatmeal really stands out, or takes the beer outside of "brown ale" - I would just enter it as a brown ale, and then you don't note ingredients. I routinely put a pound of flaked oats in my brown ales and always enter them as regular american brown ales. I can't imagine a subtle oatmeal flavor or creaminess is going to get you very far in the specialty category..... but you kind of have to evaluate that taste for yourself.

Thanks for the help. Kegged today. Will pull a pint out in a couple of days to get an idea as to what categories I should be entering. Thanks.

Back