The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone care to chime in on favorite flour? I know it's style dependent. I'm thinking about buying a small bag of some good hg to split with some friends and do a teach day. I'm leaning towards Power or possibly KASL (or it's new name). Don't know if I've actually used either but suspect I may have. I buy from a place that repackages and they have never been able to tell me what it is... or are unwilling.

I'm a fan of 00 from Italy or a soft winter wheat from the US.

I've heard of folks doing it that long. I think four days is my longest. Should be good to go

Agreed. I've gone 6 and thought it was fine. Any longer and I'd freeze the dough balls. Depends on the flour used more than anything. You may get less rise if the yeast has worked thru most of the sugars. Just rest as little as possible while bringing the dough up to temp and you should be golden.

Four days is my longest. It's all good!

I'm not worried about the being bad, I'm worried about it being so much better that I need to start planning dough a week in advance. :p

Pizza came out really good. I have always had trouble rolling out dough but I think if I keep making my own pizza I will get better. The one issue I had was the middle wasn't as crispy as I like. I just think I had too much sauce.

Good! It does get easier.

Making sauce for tonight's 'zza....

20160917_134831-1.jpg

Where did you buy that?

...found some on Amazon. Looks like the same source because it has the description. I make my own flakes but these look like they're deseeded and de fleshed which is a lot of work that i don't want to do.

I buy it online from The Spice House. They are de-fleshed but there are seeds, however they are much smaller than regular pepper seeds. Also there seems to be some moisture left in them, as if not completely dehydrated. They seem so much fresher than the other. I've never had any mold or anything on them but I do keep them in the fridge.

What's the longest any of you have done a cold-rise?

I've had some in the fridge since Monday, and haven't gotten around to using it. I'll probably try tomorrow or Sunday....it'll be my longest rise. I'll guessing it'll end up being the best...

I like a longer fermented dough, usually at least two or three days fridge, but I've gone as long as a week or even a little longer with good results, for high gluten flours. I generally only use .25% IDY, so I believe that helps keep from over fermenting. After a few days the dough starts looking a bit funky, almost gray with lots of dark specks, but it always bakes up just fine with lots of flavor. Sourdough with 00 flour, on the other hand has a much smaller window of usefulness, like 48 hrs, tops for me.

Anyone care to chime in on favorite flour? I know it's style dependent. I'm thinking about buying a small bag of some good hg to split with some friends and do a teach day. I'm leaning towards Power or possibly KASL (or it's new name). Don't know if I've actually used either but suspect I may have. I buy from a place that repackages and they have never been able to tell me what it is... or are unwilling.

Yes, it depends on the style. I've tried different brands of 00 for neapolitan wood fired, but my fave is the Caputo "Pizzeria". For N.Y. style in the wfo I like "Occident", which is a mid level protein bread flour. I also use it for my Detroit style pies. For N.Y. style in the kitchen I like KASL or All Trumps, though the Occident works well here too.. I've heard good things about the Power flour but I've never tried it. I've never seen it on the shelf around here.

I just buy the 25 lb bags of bread flour at Sam's. A bag will last me a couple of years, and I haven't had any problem with weevils or moths getting in it.

Costco does have bulk bread flour but my recollection is that the brand varies by location.

Costco depends on location. For instance all the local locations around me only have bulk all purpose flour. The sams club bread flour works good for me. Keep an eye out on groupon for discount deals on sams club memberships that are almost free if you count the coupons for free stuff you get with the membership. For the same kind of deal on Costco memberships keep an eye out on living social.

King arthur flour is the only major brand of flour with a consistent protein content with variation of only about 1/10 of a percent. All other brands can vary wildly, some more than 1 percent. If you value consistency and repeatability use king Arthur. Ever heard of Zingerman's in Ann Arbor? They use king Arthur as I'm sure a lot of great bakeries do. I've used it for years and swear by it for bread baking , though I use all purpose flour for pizza crust as its closer to the protein content of neopolitan pizza dough. Not too chewy but has enough bite. I've never used my sourdough for pizza dough funny enough as its almost always at least a part of any bread I make. I usually just use a very small amount of yeast and ferment in the fridge for 36 hrs, then let it sit 15 minutes before stretching out.

Zingerman's, come on, Emily Blount had three concurrent restraining orders running on me. Who hasn't seen 5 year engagement? But seriously, have heard of it but didn't know they knew anything about pizza.
Made a pie and tried that Mike's hot honey. No pics. Cause I'm drunk and impatient. But Evets was right, you'll love it. It's not a heat bomb. Think more regular honey with a little kick of something extra. Nice in the bake and even good just added cold... Dipping... Like, ya know ranch... Discuss.

We need more delicious looking pies in here. I'm guilty of not raising dough and making it happen myself. I'm up

Hi guys,

it's been some time since my last update. Some of you may remember I was working on a product, that lets you make a nice pizza without an oven, straight on your kitchen stove in just 3 minutes.

I hope I am not breaking any rules with this post, I included the link to Kickstarter campaign to my signature. Here are some more pies made in IRONATE.

All these were made on glass cooktop in my kitchen, bake time around 3 minutes. Max. temperature on my cooktop is around 850 fahrenheit (455 Celsius) after 8 to 9 minutes of preheating.

I am uploading some different pies, some are more charred on top (some people like that) some are just lightly browned.

ironate_jamie_oliver.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

IMG-20150819-WA0000.jpg

2016-04-22 12.43.03.jpg

This is kinda cheating as i worked at a pizza place when i took this pic and used their oven and flour to make said pie.
(the italian sausage was theirs too but all other ingredients were not)
Anywho, here's my pie.

Pics from new phone 178.jpg

I was motivated by this forum so i bought a pizza stone and used it on my weber grill. After my second try, I ain't buying pizza no more. Preheated the stone and cooked at 450 on my weber grill. Poblanos and pepperoni with fresh mozzarelli from the local itailian store. Bam!

0912161223.jpg

This was my first one...had a little trouble getting it on and off the peel. Flour works best for me now. Pepperoni with a little home grown oregano.

0919161148.jpg

Made a couple pies last night. Tried the MAE sauce method from November on pizzamaking for the first time. Too computer lame to attach a link. Search fresh vs. Cooked sauce over there. Liked the results. Also bumped my poolish up to 25%. Think that's why I got that crazy bubbling and quasi-char.

View attachment 1475160174856.jpg

View attachment 1475160186444.jpg

Made a couple pies last night. Tried the MAE sauce method from November on pizzamaking for the first time. Too computer lame to attach a link. Search fresh vs. Cooked sauce over there. Liked the results. Also bumped my poolish up to 25%. Think that's why I got that crazy bubbling and quasi-char.

Good looking pies there!

So is that thr sauce with about 10 ingredients that get microwaved for a couple minutes to rupture the cells and release the flavor without soaking or cooking for hours? That was my go-to recipe for several years. I've since simplified quite a bit, depending on what style I'm making.

Yeah that's the same one. I didn't have all the spices on hand but did have most. I got some real nice d.o.p. San Marzano's on sale so I wanted to go to the extra effort. I was happy with it.

This was my first one...had a little trouble getting it on and off the peel. Flour works best for me now. Pepperoni with a little home grown oregano.

Looks good. Flour or cornmeal works like a charm. Slide it off fast in one motion.

So, tomorrow is my birthday. Turning 60 but I don't feel a day over 85. My wife says we have to have a party this weekend. I said I don't really want a party. She says just a few people. We'll fire up the oven and let everyone make their own pizza so you don't have to work so hard. Yeah, right. I know how that goes. She says "C'mon, It'll be fun, and we'll get everybody else to do all the work". Finally I said "ok, whatever, if you insist". Then she tells me she already invited like 40 people!Then she says since she works all day and I don't that maybe I'll have time to clean up the yard some, and maybe get some fall decorations like pumpkins and mums and corn stalks. And maybe a couple strings of party lights here and there.
Ok, rant over. I better get busy not working so hard!

But you know, you can let the other people work the peel in your 800° oven. What could go wrong? I feel your pain... and happy birthday!

Back