Brewing Classic Styles Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious as to how many people own a copy of Brewing Classic Styles

• I own it!

• I don't own it, but I want it.

• I don't own it, and I am not interested in buying it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys and Gals. I need your help looking over these recipes. I have finished the first 50 recipes for Beersmith users and would love some input about ingredient choices and what-not. All the recipes are by the book on measurement of ingredients (grains/hops/yeast amounts/water amounts/and temperatures), however the numbers sometimes don't match the book on IBU/SRM/OG/FG/etc. That being said, I just need help lining up the best possible suggestion for grains, or if I need to be more vague and simply say something like pale UK vs. Thomas Faucett. Hope you guys can help me out, but if not at least you will have some extra recipes to work on yourself... or you can always re-download them once I have it all worked out via this thread and your help.

To make it easier on me and this thread, I have posted links on my profile page. You will have to go there and copy and paste to your address bar to get the zip files from dropbox. Then, when you make a recommendation or change to a recipe... post it here in the thread. That keeps me where I can separate my work from your help. When all is concluded, this first post will have an edit showing the thread has accomplished what it was meant to, and the recipes will be ready for anyone at the first post. I will talk later with Tx about how to get them into the forum recipe page if at all possible, but even if this doesn't work out, there will be a way to get them for your use.

I am stating right here though, "You should buy this book! These recipes are just to make it easier to get them in a brewing program. If you want to know why these recipes are how they are... you need to read the book. These are a baseline for selected styles, and hints and tricks to make yours better or different are only going to be found there." Now saying this, if it all falls through and they cannot be posted... I would at least like your help on "my" (I don't mean mine like mine:drunk:) recipes. I take no credit other than putting them into the program, my name is not on them anywhere, and they are for us all.

Thanks a million guys, and click my profile page and look for them in Brew History. Then change them and post them here.:mug:

Since I own the book, I don't feel bad downloading the recipes. Thanks for taking the time to add them!

I used evrything the book told me to input, and even setup a equipment profile that matched the information they gave. If I missed something, that is what all you guys are for :).

I thought I was the only one doing this! I got through the lagers and have not moved into ales yet! I was hesitant to post, but you have good reasoning me thinks!

I will compare yours to mine and hopefully help so all of us that own the book can have access to these in Beersmith!

Awesome Job Wort. I own and have brewed several beers from BCS. I have also used several recipes as a starting point in formulating my own recipes. If you don't own this book, you should definitely buy it. I will take a look at the recipes you have posted and let you know if I find any errors. Thanks for sharing the files.

So, just wanted to check in and see if anyone has something to say about the recipes? Remember, this is a constructive criticism with information thread. No one will take offense to objections to the recipes, but they may be debated for the best possible outcome. I want these to be OK'd by all. Thanks again guys for all the help with these.

Whoa, awesome! I own the book, but I love that you've made it easy to put the recipes into BS. Thanks so much! I don't have much constructive criticism, but if I find something I'll be sure to let you know.

I don't have BeerSmith so I can't check your work. I can thank you for this effort!

I'll also weigh in on something you wrote above:

I just need help lining up the best possible suggestion for grains, or if I need to be more vague and simply say something like pale UK vs. Thomas Faucett.

I think you must be careful with that, because it gets really complicated very quickly indeed.

To continue with your example, "Pale UK Malt" is not uniform across maltsters. Muntons is different than Fawcett than . Fawcett's pale malt is a blend of three barley varieties and is floor-malted; we don't know what Muntons uses (though it's mostly Maris Otter) and they certainly don't floor malt. They have different flavors, extract yield, protein levels, etc.

I think if you're going to input the recipes, you really need to put them in as written. Frankly, I should go do that with the recipes I have in my drop-down, because they do change when ingredients sources change.

Cheers!

Bob

Whoa, awesome! I own the book, but I love that you've made it easy to put the recipes into BS. Thanks so much! I don't have much constructive criticism, but if I find something I'll be sure to let you know.
I am glad so many own the book. I was hoping the majority were going to be owners, so I don't feel as bad about putting them out there. Please do let me know if you find something I missed.
awesome!! Thanks man
You're welcome! They were a lot of work, but also a lot of fun to do. I am hoping this thread helps it be more fulfilling by being as accurate as I can be on them. Since we are the largest beer forum, what better a place to get help on something like this. WE ROCK on HBT!:ban:

Wow this is amazing! Thank you so much. I was wondering if I was ever going to get them all entered. I was only entering them as I brew them and only had about 4 so far. I do own the book BTW. For anyone considering downloading and not buying the book, it is still worth the money just for the notes on each style and tips on how to brew it. It is a great investment for the money. Please support the author.

I will let you know if I come across any errors

I don't have BeerSmith so I can't check your work. I can thank you for this effort!

I'll also weigh in on something you wrote above:

I think you must be careful with that, because it gets really complicated very quickly indeed.

To continue with your example, "Pale UK Malt" is not uniform across maltsters. Muntons is different than Fawcett than . Fawcett's pale malt is a blend of three barley varieties and is floor-malted; we don't know what Muntons uses (though it's mostly Maris Otter) and they certainly don't floor malt. They have different flavors, extract yield, protein levels, etc.

I think if you're going to input the recipes, you really need to put them in as written. Frankly, I should go do that with the recipes I have in my drop-down, because they do change when ingredients sources change.

Cheers!

Bob
Thanks for the input. I too think vague is better, however, in talking with friends on the chat bsdx had input that caused me to question. Something in the book says say chocolate malt 420*L (example off the top of my head for what I am talking about) in a schwartzbier. Bsdx recommended Simpsons UK chocolate malt at 430*L over the Briess Chocolate dark 6-row 420*L that I had initially picked since it was right on in color. He made me think, I'm making a German beer and UK is closer to Germany than US Briess would be. Not to mention he wondered about the 6-row, since it didn't say to use 6-row chocolate. But... it also didn't specify not to! His first remark has made me think, so I feel a panel of brewers who are going to be using these recipes could come to a majority conclusion and help discern the correct path (vague or specific). Of course the brewer can change the recipe anytime they want due to not sourcing the grains they need (such as with the very specific CYBI recipes) and make a different beer than the recipe was written, but they will always have the original BCS recipe to fall back on if they didn't like "their" tweak to what we decide is "right" for these recipes. See my conundrum? LOL, I over-think everything or I am not happy when I finish. HELP! lol:D

First and foremost - if you don't have the book, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's more than just recipes - it's a reference that I still refer back to when exploring a style of beer. Beyond that, thanks for making it easy on the rest of us!

Wow this is amazing! Thank you so much. I was wondering if I was ever going to get them all entered. I was only entering them as I brew them and only had about 4 so far. I do own the book BTW. For anyone considering downloading and not buying the book, it is still worth the money just for the notes on each style and tips on how to brew it. It is a great investment for the money. Please support the author.

I will let you know if I come across any errors

Thank you very much. Man, that is two posts while I was answering posts, lol. Hope this snowballs into a big helpful thread.
Edit: make that three posts now thanks to makomachine!!! LOL

First and foremost - if you don't have the book, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's more than just recipes - it's a reference that I still refer back to when exploring a style of beer. Beyond that, thanks for making it easy on the rest of us!

exactly. I have many brewing books and this one is the most tattered looking

LOL, mine is getting that way quickly. I have been through this book 1000 times in writing these recipes for BS. Hand sweat has taken its toll in places where I have held the book looking back and forth to see if I missed something, lol. Great book, and writing these gave me a knew since in recipe making. I see how a lot of what makes styles different is very subtle.

I have it but only because the AHA gave it to me. I would not have bought it. I see it as little more than a recipe book and his better ones are available online anyway and are written out much better than they are in the book.

So, has anyone had the opportunity to check me for mistakes? I know I had to make a few. I hope everyone is just busy and when they get to it they can make me feel better about the recipes and equipment I used in the program.

I think I will have to export them as single files to add to dropbox, so it would be a bit daunting to do. Anyway you can download BS or BS2 trial and import them to turn into xml's yourself? I will keep trying, but I think it may be too much time for me.

So, is anyone having trouble downloading them or anything? I am just curious if anyone has been able to look them over. Please let me know.

This was awesome for you to do.. I just haven't had any time to brew.. let alone look at them. I will be brewing about 6 batches in November and a couple will be BCS. I will look at them then.

I have downloaded them all and scaled the recipes to my Biab set up everything looks good. I will probably go through them all al edit the extra yeast out because I use dry yeast most of the time. I really appreciate all of the work you have done and look forward to seeing the rest of the recipies.

Hi,

I downloaded yesterday no problem and had a quick look. I don't have the book so I cant check them but most look good and the ones like the pale and amber ales match what I have already found on the net. I didn't look through every single one of them though. After reading some of these recipes I think I will need to go and pick myself up a copy of the book.

Really good work mate.

Good to hear they are working properly in dropbox for you guys. I can't wait to get time to finish the remaining non-fruit beer recipes. As one of my favorite cigar chomping heroes catch phrase said, "I love it when a plan comes together."

My book just arrived last night. I found it to be a good read. I am excited to try some of these great recipes. It was on my wish list, but this thread moved it to the top of my reading list.

I don't have BeerSmith, though. I use BrewTarget. Has anyone converted these to BeerXML?

Yeah, I tried to do a couple of more recipes to finish... I have come to the conclusion that these fifty may act as a teaser for people who want more to get the book. Those that have the book, can add the few rest of the recipes as they want to brew them. I am just going to make sure I got these right and offer them here for all of us to download. I am glad EricCSU has started on the Can You Brew It recipes for Beersmith. I wish I could have helped him out with that. In my mind those would have been way easier for me, since they offer very specific information in the way of ingredients all the way down to specific maltsters in some recipes.

Anyways, I'm still open to everyone's comments about the BCS recipes, so please don't be shy if you have advice/criticism/etc.

Opps, My mistake i have two folders in my beersmith that start with Jamil Brewing Classic styles and Can you Brew it. That was a recipe from the can you brew in folder.

No problem. I was actually kinda excited that I might have to go back and look at some changes... oh well, lol. Hope these recipes are still working out for people and that they can't find much wrong with them.

Mistake is that you can't use them in BTP. :( I did do a BS trial but the export function on the mac version did not work. From what I saw they looked great. Any chance of export to xml for us non BS'ers?

Thanks for the efforts!

You have to do them one at a time to get them in .xml, so... I haven't time to do them. Sorry about that. There have been a couple of people ask if I could, but it is just too much work right now.

Alright guys, I had some help and got the xml export feature to work, so now they are in a format everyone can use on any program. They are located in the same place as the other Beersmith files are. Click on my profile and look in the Brew History, cut and paste to your address window in your browser and BLAM!!!

Sorry it took so long to get these for you guys asking. TrainSafe, samc, and others... you are more than welcome;)

Back