Bottling w/o bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherT515

Reaction score
Hello HBT! Long time reader, first time poster here.

After observing some friends/mentors do their own thing for a few months I decided to go ahead with my first attempt at brewing. The brew went smoothly, and now we're at ~2 weeks into fermentation (I'm just using a 5gal carboy, no secondary) and I'm beginning to prepare for the next phase. As far as my bottling equipment goes, I have everything except the bottling bucket (w/ spigot) itself. I DO have a few different pieces of tubing for siphoning, as well as the handy bottling device that almost everyone uses (flow control valve).

This just occured to me today: Is it going to be hard to bottle out of my primary opposed to a bottling bucket in which the beer has been transferred off of the yeast/sediment layer? Will a steady siphon in the carboy be enough to aggitate the bottom layer? Anybody have experience with this?

Help a n00b out.

Do you have carb tabs, going to use dry prim sugar in the bottles?.If you add cooled preboiled sugarprimer to primary do it carefully and let it settle some before botteling,your going to get more yeast in the bottles this way most likely.I bottled my first 2 the dry way but was supspisious of off flavors from the unboiled sugar.

I bottle out of my carboy all the time. I prepare the sugar first and pour it into the beer. The gently stir with a sanitized racking cane. Then I work on bottles and other prep. When ready, I give a little more stir, depending on how well it cleared, then bottle away. I use an auto-syphon + tube + bottle filler to get it done.

Works good for me - the key is the initial stir. Makes the sugars distribute evenly.

Latest posts

Back