Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
32.9 IBU
Color
2.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 66
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Ginger flavor is dominant but not overpowering.
The original and final gravities in the recipe are the estimates at 75% efficiency. My actual OG and FG for the contest winning version were:

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.002

Code:
Ingredients for Mashing
Amount   Item                            Type   % or IBU 
4.00 lb  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)  Grain  48.48 % 
1.25 lb  Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)    Grain  15.15 % 

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time  Name      Description                       Step Temp 
60 min     Mash In   Add 7.88 qt of water at 164.0 F   154.0 F 

Drain Mash Tun
Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 5.33 gal of 175.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.42 gal

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.040 (note this estimate includes honey)

Boil Ingredients

Boil   Amount  Item                                        Type 
60 min 1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min)                   Hops 
60 min 3.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM)                             Sugar 
30 min 2.00 items Lemon Juice (per lemon) (Boil 30.0 min)  Misc 
30 min 6.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 30.0 min)                 Misc 
15 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)                 Misc 
10 min 2.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min)                 Misc 
10 min 2.00 items Lemon Zest (Boil 10.0 min)               Misc 
2 min 1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min)                 Hops 

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature

Transfer wort to fermenter 
  Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal 

Ingredients for Fermentation 
Amount  Item                       Type % or IBU 
1 Pkgs  Safale (DCL Yeast #US-05)  Yeast-Ale  

Fermentation

Primary fermentation (14 days at 68.0 F) 
  Secondary fermentation (7 days at 68.0 F)
    Add to Secondary 

Amount   Item                              Type % or IBU 
2.50 oz  Ginger Root (Secondary 7.0 days)  Misc

BeerXML attached

-Joe

View attachment GingerAleAG.xml

This recipe makes me happy :)

I made ginger ale the other day, and all my friends were shocked it didn't have any alcohol in it. Maybe I'll make this and really blow their minds :)

Would you mind updating with tasting notes? Have you played around with the level of ginger at all?

I've only done this twice so far. The first time was extract, the second all-grain, so it's a little hard to compare.

With the recipe as written, it's got a nice ginger nose and a good, strong ginger flavor without much bite. The base beer still comes through nicely. It's also bright and has excellent head retention.

ginger_ale.jpg

A friend of mine (not a beer drinker) drank enough at a sitting to forget whose house he was at :)

-Joe

I bought all of the ingredients for this over the weekend. I'm very excited to try this recipe.

Has anyone looked at the recipe to ever concider this beer a braggot??

Just bought the ingredients today to make this beer my first for the year. For those who've made this before; I love ginger, both the flavor and bite, would you add more ginger or is the amount listed good enough?

I made a half batch. It has been sitting for about 8 weeks at this point...at 5 weeks, I did not want to drink it. It was just..not right immediately after kegging. Its been mellowing just fine. Perhaps it will be nice when I try it this weekend.

I know this is short notice but I'm thinking of brewing this tomorrow afternoon, and I want to make sure I have a nice strong ginger flavor and bite. I'm thinking of something similar to the Fever-Tree Ginger Beer but with slightly less of a ginger burn. I have serious doubts that the amount listed in the recipe is sufficient for what I'm looking for.

For all those who have a bit more, or any, experience using ginger, how much would you recommend for that level of "gingeriness." I was thinking of changing the additions to 9, 4 and 3 oz, respectively.

Also, will I need to remove the skin of the ginger root?

Yep, looks like a great recipe! Will be brewing this one next.

I also plan to increase the ginger addition, by a few ounces. In non-alcoholic ginger sodas I add cayenne to increase the bite without overpowering the drink with ginger. It adds a nice bit of heat without any flavor. Maybe the cayenne and the lemon should go into the secondary so the flavor doesn't cook out?

I know this is short notice but I'm thinking of brewing this tomorrow afternoon, and I want to make sure I have a nice strong ginger flavor and bite. I'm thinking of something similar to the Fever-Tree Ginger Beer but with slightly less of a ginger burn. I have serious doubts that the amount listed in the recipe is sufficient for what I'm looking for.

For all those who have a bit more, or any, experience using ginger, how much would you recommend for that level of "gingeriness." I was thinking of changing the additions to 9, 4 and 3 oz, respectively.

Also, will I need to remove the skin of the ginger root?

I would remove the skin but I wouldn't be too over-zealous about it.

If you're a whole-foods fanatic you'd better leave it on :p

Well, I decided to do a whole pound at the 30min addition and 10oz at the 10min addition, when I rack to secondary I will taste it and decide if and how much ginger to add from there. I changed the 3lb honey addition to 2.5lb at 60min and 0.5lb at 5min to get slightly more honey flavor.

I didn't take any of the ginger skin off since I didn't really have the time and someone said that the only difference would be a slightly darker beer.

2.5 hours in and I am seeing the first signs of fermentation.

update: I transferred the ginger beer to the secondary after about 3 days and added 20oz of peeled, minced ginger.

I just checked the SG and it came out to 1.001, a bit lower than expected. when tasting it I felt a gentle ginger bite, nothing that could be even be described as overwhelming. Sadly, though, I didn't get much in terms of a robust ginger flavor. This makes me think I should have added 3 or maybe 5 lbs of ginger to the boil.

For those who've brewed this before, is there any chance when this beer is bottled and carbonated the flavor might become more noticeable?

That is a lot of ginger. I never wanted for more ginger with the recipe as written, so maybe our definitions of "more noticeable" are different :)

Did you grate the ginger?

-Joe

That is a lot of ginger. I never wanted for more ginger with the recipe as written, so maybe our definitions of "more noticeable" are different :)

Did you grate the ginger?

-Joe

yeah, I was looking to get close to the flavor of Gosling's ginger beer so if you've had that, that's the amount of ginger I like. And I did grate the ginger on a cheese grater. Looking back on it I left all the cooked ginger in my boil pot instead of transferring it to my primary fermenter.

For my secondary addition I threw my ginger into a food processor

Brewed this yesterday and pretty much went by the recipe. Took a sample before adding the yeast to my primary and it definitely had a huge ginger taste. I minced my ginger though, this could have something to do with how much of the flavor comes out. We will see how intense it is once I have my next taste when I rack it.

I'll keep you guys posted. I think it's going to be a good one though!

I've only done this twice so far. The first time was extract, the second all-grain, so it's a little hard to compare.

I'm not quite set up for all grain brewing yet, but love ginger beers and would like to get one going. I see you said you did an extract version before, do you still have your recipie for the extract version?

Sure do :) See below. I haven't looked at it in years, so I'm not sure why the honey is split like that. I usually add all the honey at 0 minutes (flameout). It's also a partial boil.

I've got 10 gallons of the AG version sitting in the fermenters now. It smells so good :)

Code:
Mash or Steep Grains

Steep Grains at 165.0 F Amount Item Type % or IBU 
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 % 

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 3.25 gal

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.069

Boil Ingredients Boil Amount Item Type 
60 min 0.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 
60 min 1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 
60 min 1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 
60 min 2.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 
30 min 1.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 30 min] Extract 
30 min 2.00 items Lemon Juice (per lemon) (Boil 30.0 min) Misc 
30 min 6.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 30.0 min) Misc 
15 min 1.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar [Boil for 15 min] Extract 
15 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 
10 min 2.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
10 min 2.00 items Lemon Zest (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
2 min 1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature

Transfer wort to fermenter 
  Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

-Joe

Awesome thank you, Just put a Kolsch in the fermenter last night. Gonna get an Oktoberfest going tonight then i think next week i'll get started on this.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I absolutely love this beer. I'll be brewing my 3rd 10 gallon batch of it in a few weeks. Usually have about 3-4 beers on tap and this one gets finished the quickest!

I haven't tried doing any variations yet as I'm still trying to get a repeatable process, but once I have that I'm going to plan on changing small things each batch. Many thanks for a delicious and refreshing recipe!

Nice, glad you like it! I just sent some from my most recent batch to a contest, so we'll see how it does outside HBT.

I ended up using enormous lemons for this batch, and it came out more lemony than I expected. It's almost like a shandy now, and really refreshing in the summer.

-Joe

Hey joe, i know i'm chiming in a little late here but i am trying to make a ginger ale for my next batch and this one looks great. i'm still working with extracts so my main focus is on your extract version. I just wanted to know, if i am reading the recipe correctly it says there are only 1.5 lbs total of malt extract (.5 DME and 1 LME) in the recipe. Does this still deliver a beer like character or should i be expecting something very different? Thanks!

It is still definitely beer. It's a clean, light beer flavor that lets the ginger really shine.

You may have to experiment with the amount of lemon and ginger for your palate. I found my last batch too lemony. I may omit the lemon zest (and the associated lemon oil) and add some carafoam to help with head retention and body.

-Joe

Alright thanks Joe. I will be brewing this this weekend and I'll let you know how it comes out once everything is done. Cheers!

Could you clarify exactly what 2 items of lemon juice & lemon zest are?
The juice and zest from 2 lemons :)

I'm probably going to omit the zest next time. I found the last batch too lemony, and i think all the lemon oil messes with head retention.

-Joe

Hey everyone. I am brewing this today, and plan on following the recipe as written except for the irish moss and lemon zest. I'm planning on putting the ginger through a food processor and leaving it in the carboy for fermentation. For the secondary addition, I will mince it and use a nylon bag for the rest of the process. I'll let you know how everything goes.
-funk

Edit:
-FYI I received 1/2 cup of lemon juice from the two lemons. So if anyone else is planning on omitting the lemon zest and doesn't want to buy lemons, 1/2 cup of lemon juice will work with adjustments to your liking.
-I have decided to skin the ginger before putting it in the food processor. At 30 minutes I will add the processed ginger directly to the kettle, and put the skins in the hop bag in order to pull them out at the end of the boil.
-I ended up with a 1.047 OG, gonna pitch the yeast and let her work! I will come back and post a review after a three week fermentation and a 2-3 week bottle conditioning. Cheers!

I added the secondary ginger last Wednesday, and put her out in the garage this morning for a little 24 hour cold crash before the bottling on Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see if it clears up at all. I'll post another shot of the carboy on Tuesday if I notice any difference.

Ginger Beer.jpg

Hey Joe, didn't realize I have been almost exclusively brewing your recipes. No stalker here that's for sure, we must just have some similar tastes!

The beer didn't clear up too much. I don't think it ever got cold enough in the garage for a true cold crash.

I ended up with a 1.008 FG which puts it around 5.2% ABV. My brother and I tried a little left over from the bottling and WOW! I think I'm going to like this beer quite a bit. I have several friends and coworkers who are interested in trying it as well, so it could be a hit! Thanks for the great recipe, and now that I know I've been inadvertently brewing your recipes lately, I may make it an intentional decision to try another. I'll post a pic here after a good 3-4 week conditioning. Cheers buddy, love the man skirt!

-Jerrod

Ok, I just popped one of these Ginger Ales tonight. It was the ~10oz bottle that was filled from the dregs of the bottling bucket. All I can say is WOW! If you like ginger, BREW THIS! It has only been bottle conditioned for about 10 days, but it is incredible! I am very excited to have 5 gallons of this amazing brew! I'll post a picture of my pint after it conditions a little longer and can hold a little larger head. It is actually pretty clear even though I didn't add Irish Moss.

Nostalgia- GREAT recipe buddy!

-Jerrod

Back