Low Carbonation Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larsen67

Reaction score
I had an extremely vigorous fermentation when I first put my latest in the primary (the standard foam clogging up the airlock and pushing out the stopper that others have had). I ended up losing a bit of the beer through all the foam pooling on top of the bucken and sliding over the side.

When it came time to bottle, I was worried that using the standard 3/4 cup of priming sugar, with my slightly decreased amount of wort, would create bottle-bombs, so I cut it back a tablespoon or two.

Now, 4 weeks later they all taste pretty good, but seem undercarbed. I'm not sure if moving them somewhere warmer will help, or if opening them up and throwing a carb-tab in would make them over-carb, or what my options are at this point.

Any help from all the experts?

The volume is wort is unrelated to the risk of bottle bombs - they are caused by premature bottling and infections.

Your only real options are enjoying the beer as-is, or blending it with another, more carbonated beer when serving. To get the maximum carbonation out of the beer as-is, put them in the fridge well ahead of consumption and pour very slowly when serving. You'll get less head, but retain more carbonation in the glass as a result.

Any sugar or carb tabs you try to add now will just cause the beer to gush. Been there, done that.

Being that its been four weeks I would go with what Arcanexor said, and chalk it up to a learning experience. You might consider letting you syphon hit the bottom of your fermentor for a second or two to get some extra yeast, and that would help with the carbonation. Good luck!

Back