Best Beer selection in Missouri or Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizzouBrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking for the liquor store with the best Beer selection in the midwest. I want to walk in and have isles and isles of different beers from all over the country/world. Needless to say Columbia, Mo is lacking. Any ideas? Or what's your favorite in your state?

I'm in Atlanta for training right now. As usually happens I find the best place a day or two before I leave. Just found out about Taco Mac in midtown. It has 140 beers on tap and atleast double that in bottles. Man! And its on the Marta line from the airport!

Beeradvocate has reviews on beer stores - you can probably look them up by state and sort by rating.

I'm looking for the liquor store with the best Beer selection in the midwest. I want to walk in and have isles and isles of different beers from all over the country/world. Needless to say Columbia, Mo is lacking. Any ideas? Or what's your favorite in your state?

Wish I could reply to this and help you out but MU sucks.

Rock Chalk!!

(just kidding btw)

Wish I could reply to this and help you out but MU sucks.

Rock Chalk!!

(just kidding btw)

I see I found a rival brewer on the site. I can't come up with any comebacks after that whopping you guys gave us in basketball this week. What's your favorite place to drink in Lawrence?

I'm in Atlanta for training right now. As usually happens I find the best place a day or two before I leave. Just found out about Taco Mac in midtown. It has 140 beers on tap and atleast double that in bottles. Man! And its on the Marta line from the airport!

I'm getting into my car and driving to Atlanta right now... just checked out their website and think you may have found heaven:mug:

As a current Columbia inhabitant, there's nothing wrong with Arena Liquor. Grindstone is passable in a pinch.

If you're back in St. Louis (or KC also, I think) Lukas Liquor is like the Wal-Mart of liquor stores. If it's distributed to MO, they probably have it. Friar Tucks in Chicago carries all of the DFH stuff that doesn't end up here, among other things.

It is by far the smallest store I have been to, but West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago is definitely my favorite at the moment. Binny's is ok, but they seem to distribute by location...the one in Schaumburg has different stuff than the one in Geneva does.

The best I've seen firsthand, anywhere close to me (the bootheel of Missouri) is Roof Brothers in Paducah, KY. Come on down, we'll drive over, spend some cash, come back to my place for a few of mine on tap and grill something:mug:

According to Beer Advocate there's actually a lot more offerings up your way than there are down my way. I'm pretty much in a beer desert. Thus I got into homebrewing.

If you have a choice between KC and St. Louis, go to St. Louis and hit up a Missouri store and Corral in Illinois. You will get more variety that way than sticking to either state. Kansas has almost nothing exciting that Missouri does not.

Lake of the Ozarks is an hour south of you. Brew your brains out, bottle and take it all to the lake.

Have done the lake for YEARS. Even living here in CO now, I make it back at least every other year.

I live at the Lake, and often work in Columbia, not a great choice, but Hy-Vee is do-able for some selection. Hands down the winner of Beer Choices is Friar Tuck's. It is a chain of liquor stores, I've been in them in IL and I think they have one in Crestwood, MO now.

I live at the Lake, and often work in Columbia, not a great choice, but Hy-Vee is do-able for some selection. Hands down the winner of Beer Choices is Friar Tuck's. It is a chain of liquor stores, I've been in them in IL and I think they have one in Crestwood, MO now.

You're right! Off their page:

Now Open!!
Crestwood, MO
9053 Watson Road
St. Louis, MO 63126

I'll be visiting there next time I'm in St. Louis!

I see I found a rival brewer on the site. I can't come up with any comebacks after that whopping you guys gave us in basketball this week. What's your favorite place to drink in Lawrence?

Although I loved the outcome, MU is a much better team than they played like on Sunday. It seemed like they just couldn't find the rim to save their life in the first half.

Favorite place to drink in Lawrence, wow, that's a tough one. If I'm also eating dinner then Yatch Club, if I'm just hanging out with a couple of friends then it would have to be playing shuffle board at Rick's.

I'm in Atlanta right now, which reminds me, +1 on drinking at Taco Mac. My wife and I made fun of the name mercilessly until we actually bothered to look at the website one night. We've been there at least once a week every week since!

If you are up in St. Louis much, check out Randall's Wine and Spirits. It's right off of 44 at Jefferson. Randall's has pretty much anything that is distributed in Missouri. It's a rather large warehouse, at least 1/3rd of the floor is beer.

Alternatively right across the river is Corral Liquor.
Corral Liquors
Corral has a lot of great beers that you just cannot find in Missouri.

Are you a student at Mizzou? I've been working with a few people in Rolla and students trying to get a Homebrew club related to the University down here.

There is a homebrew club at Mizzou already! Missouri Fermentation Sciences club.

I'm a student here.

Are you a student at Mizzou? I've been working with a few people in Rolla and students trying to get a Homebrew club related to the University down here.

Yeah I'm a Mizzou Student....like Jif said we already have a fermentation club here at Mizzou but I haven't heard of anything down in Rolla. The problem I have with school sponsored brew clubs (at least on dry campuses) is you can't do any "research" while brewing. And what good is a brew day without tasty homebrew?

Have you tried Macadoodles at the Missouri/Arkansas state line?They have a great selection and tastings to boot.Last time I was in there, they were tasting Chimay red.

The best I've seen firsthand, anywhere close to me (the bootheel of Missouri) is Roof Brothers in Paducah, KY. Come on down, we'll drive over, spend some cash, come back to my place for a few of mine on tap and grill something:mug:

According to Beer Advocate there's actually a lot more offerings up your way than there are down my way. I'm pretty much in a beer desert. Thus I got into homebrewing.

hell, yeah...roadtrip, beer, grilling... count me in..:rockin:

b double-e double-r u n BEERRUN (love that song)

Any way, is that place in Paducah any good? Up here in cape about the best would be Schnucks.. Sikeston used to have the bottle shop, but they went downhill.. And there is a brew-pub in Cape.

Lately been buying the michelob wheat sampler, pretty taste and fairly affordable.

Yeah I'm a Mizzou Student....like Jif said we already have a fermentation club here at Mizzou but I haven't heard of anything down in Rolla. The problem I have with school sponsored brew clubs (at least on dry campuses) is you can't do any "research" while brewing. And what good is a brew day without tasty homebrew?

Have you come to any of our meetings/brew days? We do not have many brew days as a club (our brewdays are producing wort with our Brew Magic, wort that members are free to take home). We meet to discuss techniques and styles, then a member will hold a brewday off campus open to other brewers. Members are allowed to borrow either of our two all grain systems for home use as long as they invite other students. We provide a community of brewers, wholesale grain, training, and equipment to any interested students.

As for beer selection, Arena Liqour in Columbia has a large variety.

Up here in KC, Royal Liquor in KCMO, right off State Line Rd. has soooo many great craft beers, huge selection, it's kind of amazing....

Jungle Jims in Cincinnati

They have what you need from any country in terms of food, meats, cheeses, wines, beers, etc.

If you find yourself in Springfield, MO Brown Derby's International Wine Center has a great selection.

Back