Shelf Life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

Reaction score
I know most of us have no difficulty drinking our ciders before they "get old," but I am contemplating a larger batch or two, and I was wondering how long does hard cider last before the flavor suffers? Does it eventually get skunky?
:mug:

I've always related a skunky flavor/aroma from hops exposed to UV light, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. The biggest concern you will probably have from aging cider is oxidation. If not properly handled during fermentation/racking or if it's not bottled properly, you will end up with a cardboard taste that is REALLY unpleasant. I would think you could store it for years if you cork in champagne bottles. (for sparkling cider) You could also bulk age in kegs under a blanket of CO2 if you have access to quite a few.

I was planning on bottling to beer bottles with caps and will have very little head space. Hopefully, no other issues then?

I was planning on bottling to beer bottles with caps and will have very little head space. Hopefully, no other issues then?

The caps of the bottles will be the deciding factor in that case. Regular bottle caps are good for around 1 year, then start to break down.

I would go with Oxy Caps, which can last 3+ years.

Back