Help/guidance needed!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotakah

Reaction score
Hey gang, here is my situation:

I have a dark American lager fermenting (OG = 1.060) right now around 50F. It has been staying in the guestroom of my apartment with windows open (the rest of the room is sealed off to the rest of the apt.) Tomorrow will be day 14 of it's long-primary. I will be out of town all weekend starting tomorrow morning for a snowshoeing/backpacking trip. Just today, I learned that SWMBO's parentals will be coming into town to visit while I'm gone, thus we need to turn the lagering room back into a guestroom and hence raise the temperature in there.

Should I...
A: sit it outside for the weekend (daily temperatures ranging from 25F at night to 40F in the afternoon), cooling the brew down significantly and halting fermentation
B: put it in my closet where I ferment ales at 62F for the weekend and just pretend I'm giving it a long D-rest?

I can't really rely on SWMBO to do any taking care of it while I'm gone, so I need to just pick some sort of action that will have minimal consequences and deal with it, since this all has sort of just been thrown on my lap.

Thanks for your advice and opinions!

this is more technology related... but also this post doesn't show up under "New Posts" or, for me personally, under "My topics"... I only was able to find it by going to the Fermentation & Yeast forum.... why is this so

I believe the solution is easier that you may have thought, two words... extra comforter.

Sorry bad67z, I'm not going to make SWMBO's parents sleep in a room with the window open.

You don't make the ruler's folks sleep in the cold. Change the sheets and give the ruler chocolate And roses and ask her to sleep in there. Then, when that doesn't work, you explain how relationships are about compromise. Still might not work but worth a try.

Do you have a garage you can put it in?

I brought it to a buddy's house down the street, he has a garage I was able to put it in. It should keep stable in there at around 40F. It's probably not ideal, but neither is the situation. This will just have to do. Luckily it's my last batch of "lager season" and the batch coming up behind it is in the official brew area bubbling away happily at ale temps.

Back