Jersey Homebrew Showdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhorgan1

Reaction score
Not BJCP. No style categories. No score sheets or feedback.

"The competition will be judged by a blue-ribbon panel of beer experts."

So, a bunch of dudes who are experts at pounding back PBR are going to have a party with your beer? :D

Not BJCP. No style categories. No score sheets or feedback.

"The competition will be judged by a blue-ribbon panel of beer experts."

So, a bunch of dudes who are experts at pounding back PBR are going to have a party with your beer? :D

I've never entered a beer competition before. I didn't know there were standards for competitions. Do you think this isn't really legit?

I wouldn't say it's not legit. Just don't expect the same type of critique you'd get from a BJCP competition. These types of contests can be fun, but winning or loosing can be just a matter of someone’s personal preference. Without guidelines, you can get a gang mentality. One loud guy says he likes it and everyone’s else follows. Also, a mediocre big beer will have a better chance of winning over a well made session beer.

It'll be interesting to see what response BrewingViking gets. Either way, you should still go for it if it interests you. Just know what you're getting into.

I didn't know there were standards for competitions.
BJCP Guidelines
American Homebrewers Association

Yeah, it doesnt look like a real competition. Sounds more like a writer that wants to taste a bunch of homebrew, in exchange he will publish an article in the starledger about your beer (if its one of his favoites or most interesting) and about homebrewing in general.

They gave a short deadline. EDIT: I didnt see they extended the deadline

Still no response. I dropped my tripel off at one of the drop offs. They told me dont expect much. That they're really not organized, high chance of no score sheets or anything.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Did I just lose a bottle?

I just got a call today. The guy sounded upbeat in the VM he left, but I haven't spoken to anyone yet. And after reading this thread I'm less enthusiastic, but it's still fun. First competition I've ever entered, so....

Back