Ommegang Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
I am planning to brew an Ommegang Abbey Ale clone so I listened to the archived Sunday Session from thebrewingnetwork.com with Randy Thiel, former brewmaster at Ommegang. He said they use 5 spices for the Abbey Ale: Sweet Orange Peel, Licorice Root, Star Anise, Cumin, and Coriander. For a 6 gallon batch I am planning:

Sweet Orange Peel: 0.25 oz
Licorice Root: 0.25 oz
Star Anise: 1 star/seed
Cumin Seed: 0.1 oz
Coriander Seed: 0.25 oz

What do you think of my quantities? Any input would be appreciated...

I would probably go even lower. Ommegang is very good at putting their spices just barley under the threshold level. While I know it is a spiced, beer it doesn’t taste spiced to me. I think 1-3 g at most for each spice would be fine. I’d go on the high end of orange peel, coriander and licorice, lower end for the other two. I had good luck adding licorice root with 20 min left in the boil (it takes time to extract its flavor) the rest should be good within the last couple minutes of the boil.

Remember you can always add more in secondary or as a spice tea at bottling, much easier than trying to take spice flavor out extra spice character once its in there.

Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with:

3g: Sweet Orange Peel, Crushed Coriander, and Licorice Root
1g: Crushed Cumin
1: Star Anise

Back