Vanilla Porter suggestion...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Going to brew up a batch of AHS's vanilla porter and was wondering if I should stick with the vanilla flavoring they included or maybe getting a few vanilla beans, split them and add to secondary...

Any thoughts?

depends - what kind of flavoring did they send? If it's pure vanilla extract, then use it. If it's artificial flavoring, throw it out and get some beans or pure extract.

Oooooo. I think I'd call and find out what the hell that really is, or maybe just forsake it altogether and get some good stuff.

Maybe someone else will chime in about how good the vanilla flavored powder is, and how they'll never use anything else, but I kinda doubt it. ;)

I figure since the reviews of AHS's are generally great, it must not be terrible, but I may just hit the farmer's market for the heck of it... If I do go that route, any suggestions on how many beans should I toss in there?

and it depends on the caliber of your beans. I've had beans that one is 'good' and i've had beans where 'one' is "WHOOO HOOO kickass!" (I'm a pastry fan...)

I've spent good money for mediocre beans, and I've gotten lucky with cheap beans. (see above WHOO HOOO)

it depends if you want the vanilla in the front or the back of the taste. If you want it to POP, add two. If you want it to just nurture the flavor, add one.

Unless you know the quality of the beans you're getting then I'd just go with one for now.

There's always the 'next' batch...

b

For consistency I just use Madagascar bourbon vanilla 2X you could find it at most gourmet grocery stores or a place like Trader Joe’s or Whole foods. Add two ounces to start and add to taste.
Not knowing if I’m going to put too much in or not scares me too much to mess with that.

I would only use beans. Rack into secondary onto scraped and split beans. No more than two. Let it sit until the flavor is right. Extracts are really sketchy.

I would only use beans
Why there is other stuff to experiment with

Extracts are really sketchy
I ran an ice cream facility and use Madagascar bourbon vanilla 4X in our award winning vanilla ice cream. The stuff cost about $300 a gallon and had to be shipped as hazardous freight. I can tell you this; I would never spend that much money on a "Sketchy” product. I have seen some smaller bottles out there for a good price.

I'd also use something besides what they provide you. I got a raspberry porter kit from them that came with some extract to add at bottling. It didn't come through at all in about 90% of the batch, and just ever so slightly came through in the rest of it.

I know beanilla.com sells a vanilla powder, I suspect that is similar to what AHS includes. They suggest the darker the powder the higher the quality. Also, Forest from AHS monitors the forum but since you can't search on a three letter search term he will be more likely to chime in with an answer if you type out Austin Homebrew Supply.

When I did my Vanilla Bean Porter I used two beans (just the guts scraped from the inside). But they were from the grocery store and where what my wife had in the kitchen. The next time I make it (September) I'm going to order from beanilla.com. And no I'm not a paid shill but the did see their banner advertisements on this forum before and their prices look good.

I've always used whole beans, split and scraped in my secondary. My experience is that it's a bit tough to gauge the strength though. I split an AG batch with a club buddy and I added one whole bean and he added two (got them at different places) and mine ended up stronger than his oddly enough.

Not sure how you gauge individual beans.

On the bright side, both came out really nice... just different strengths of vanilla taste.

Back