Porter (Belgian?) Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
I have yet to make a porter, which is one of my favorite styles. But I got to thinking that it would interesting to infuse some belgian flavors into it. Kinda like a belgian porter, which I don't believe exists. But anyway, I as thinking for a 5 gallon batch of the following recipe.

Est Original Gravity: 1.068
Target Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 30

10 .lbs Pale Malt
1 .lb Caramunich Malt
0.5 .lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 .lb Coffee Malt ? or Carafa? or Roasted Barley? ---Not Sure
1 .lb Dark Candi Sugar

1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA) 60 Min
1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA) 30 Min
0.5 oz Saaz (4.0% AA) 10 Min

I won't probably brew this until June. I've got a number of other brews on the docket to do. This would a nice fal/winter brew. I'm not sure about the coffee malt or the carafa or the roasted barley? I would say the roasted barley if it was a regular porter, but with the Belgian influence I just wasn't sure...

Does the rest look okay? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

About a month back I had the ingredients to do an oatmeal stout, but I changed my mind. I added some complexity to the grain bill and put away my Munton & Fison's ale yeast, instead using some of my own Wyeast Belgian Wheat yeast to get some nice ester profiles. For all intents and purposes, it turned into a Belgian strong dark ale, but with a little modification, it could become a nice Belgian styled porter. If you like, I can post the recipe - just let me know. Always glad to help someone interested in Belgians.

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
10 .lbs Pale Malt
1 .lb Caramunich Malt
0.5 .lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 .lb Coffee Malt ? or Carafa? or Roasted Barley? ---Not Sure
1 .lb Dark Candi Sugar

1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA) 60 Min
1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA) 30 Min
0.5 oz Saaz (4.0% AA) 10 Min

How about some special b instead of your 0.5 lb coffee/carafa? Maybe replace the 10 oz choc with 6-8 oz of Belgian aromatic malt plus 4 oz chocolate malt?

A fruity Belgian yeast would work fine. Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong ale perhaps?

EinGutesBier said:
If you like, I can post the recipe - just let me know. Always glad to help someone interested in Belgians

Yeah if you don't mind! Or you can PM it to me. Either way I would be very grateful! Thanks!

Cugel said:
How about some special b instead of your 0.5 lb coffee/carafa? Maybe replace the 10 oz choc with 6-8 oz of Belgian aromatic malt plus 4 oz chocolate malt?

A fruity Belgian yeast would work fine. Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong ale perhaps?

Funny, I had thought of the special B, but I was thinking I had to have a dark roast in there. The aromatic would give it a nice touch. I wasn't sure about the yeast either. I had saw the WLP575 and thought of that, but I will check out the description for Wyeast 1388. Thanks!

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
Yeah if you don't mind! Or you can PM it to me. Either way I would be very grateful! Thanks!
Here you go, happy to help. :D

Black Bow Belgian Strong Ale

10 lbs. pale malt

3.5 lbs. rolled oats

14 oz. chocolate malt

1 lb. 80L Crystal malt

4 lbs. Dark Candi sugar

.5 oz. Hop Suey at 90 min.

.5 oz Hop Suey at 60 min.

1 oz. Hallertauer at 35 min.

1 oz. Czech Saaz at 15 min.

IBUs 42-45

Wyeast Belgian Wheat Yeast

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons

Projected OG: 1.082

Projected FG: 1.020

You could always throw in some Special B or Biscuit Malt and use fewer oats...in my experience, they didn't really make it too much different from a porter or a standard strong dark ale due to the size of the grain bill. Just something to consider. The dark candi sugar really made it shine though, so consider that too.

Back