Feedback on an IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerebus

Reaction score
edit - extract

I'm hoping for a piney, earthy IPA, and trying for a big mouthfeel (with the wheat and barley). Anybody see problems with this? Get rid of the barley or wheat LME? Change the hop schedule? Thanks for anything you can add!

Grain
.5 lbs. Crystal 40 L
1.0 lbs. German Munich
.5 lb. flaked barley

Boil - 60 min., 5.5 gallons
9.9 lbs light LME
1 lb. wheat LME

Hops
3 oz. Columbus @ 60 min.
1 oz. Chinook @ 60 min.
3 oz. Northern Brewer @ 20 min.
2 oz. Chinook @ 20 min.
1 tsp. Irish moss @ 15 min.
1 oz. Cascade @ 5 min.
1.5-2.0 fresh Chinook @ FO
.5-1.0 fresh Cascade @ FO

Yeast
WLP001 - California Ale Yeast

Dry Hop
2 oz. Willamette

That's an awful lot of hops...might be extremely bitter. I'd probably scale back the bittering and 20 minute hops, and push them to the last 10/5/FO and dry hops.

If by "Boil- 60 min., 5.5 gallons" you mean full boil, I'm putting it through at over 200 IBUs.

The 3 oz of Columbus alone at 60min will be 174.8 IBU's

For more piney spicy flavor leave out the extra cascade at the end and just do Chinook, 1-2 oz dryhop would be better.

Ohrumphf - Full boil - yes, for a 5 gallon batch.

Brew 4iT - wouldn't the fresh hops at flameout just add aroma to what I'm going for?

Thanks to both. Go easy on the bittering additions - point well taken!

I love hops. Love them, love them, love them.

But when I saw this:
3 oz. Columbus @ 60 min.
1 oz. Chinook @ 60 min.

my tastebuds curdled.

Try to get an OG of 1.060ish and IBUs of 45-60 with your bittering hops.

THEN, add hops at 15, 10, 5, 0 and dryhopping. Like this:

.5 oz. Columbus @ 15 min.
.5 oz. Chinook @ 10 min.
.5 oz. Chinook @ 5 min.
1 oz. Cascade @ 0 min (FO)

1.5-2.0 fresh Chinook @ FO (you won't get much out of 2 ounces fresh hops!)
.5-1.0 fresh Cascade @ FO (again, you'll need a heckuva lot more fresh/wet hops!)

I'd get rid of the northern brewer, as they are completely out of place. The willamette? meh, if you love them. But then incorporate some of them in the boil, and do a willamette/cascade dryhop (which I love).

But sometimes more kinds of hops give you a muddled mess rather than a wonderful hoppiness.

He's looking for a piney character to the beer so wouldn't chinook dryhopped be better? I know that cascade is great for dryhopping but it is more citrusy than piney.

If you can get a hold of citra use it. I love that hop! Great for bittering and late additions. I'm currently using a little bit of it dryhopped with cascade. Haven't tried it yet but should be good. It's not piney but has tropical like fruit aromas and flavors. They dry hop in Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA with it.

Back