Airlock Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb26

Reaction score
I just brewed my first all grain 5 gallon batch(IPA) on Saturday night. I used a packet of US-05 yeast, and a plastic bucket fermenter. By Sunday night the airlock was bubbling rapidly. Tuesday night the bubbling stopped, but if you touch the airlock every couple of minutes it bubbles a few times then stops. I'm not sure if the beer is done because i fermented at a higher temp (78F). Since Tuesday i lowered the temp to 70F and it it still continues to only bubble when the airlock is touched. Should take a gravity reading, continue as normal, or maybe could something be wrong with the airlock. Please help!!!

Patience young padawan! The only fermentation data you should be worried about are gravity readings and infections. Give it 10 days from brew day and then take your first gravity reading once a day. When you have three days in a row of the same gravity, you're ready to move on to the next step.

Like others have said, don't worry about the bubbles and give it time.

Second of all, typically the warmer you ferment, the faster it finishes the active fermentation stage. It isn't uncommon for fermentations in the 70s to come and go in 24-36 hours.

That doesn't mean the beer is done, but it also isn't cause for alarm.

Back