Bulk DME (less then 55lbs?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlBrewer

Reaction score
Im looking to buy some DME in bulk but i don't want to buy a whole 55lbs box and want more then then 3lbs, does anyone know where i can get this? I saw a reference to a 12lbs pail of DME but I have not been able to find those either, help!!

DME mart has 18lbs. But it costs practically the same as buying 18lbs of 3lb bags from homebrew. Buying in bulk at that low of quantities doesn't save any money if at all.

Listermanns.com has 33# of Breiss LME for $69 thats a little over $2/pound (not bad). I've made some damn good beer with it :) Also it's free shipping east of the mississippi for orders over ~$75 i think...might be 80...either way order a couple packs of yeast and and airlock and free shipping :)

FYI the LME is about 10 fl. oz/pound so I just used about 75-85 oz (7.5-8.5lb) per batch. It's much easier than i thought it would be to use...

my .02

The lme is easier but it doesnt last as long as the dme. It may create a twang as it gets older. The DME lasts awhile if not forever. I would go with the 50lbs from North Country Malt if you can afford it. It is a lot but it can get you brewing more and faster.

I just ordered my first bag from NCM. 118 shipped to Virginia for 50 lbs. $2.44/lb is cheaper then any LME I've seen. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to worth with. I despise the clumpies it makes.

If you don't want to go 50#, the best deal I've found for DME is Rebel Brewer - $3.10/lb. Check your shipping though. They are in Tenn, I'm in Ohio so the shipping works for me.

The suggestion to find a local home brewer to split an order with is a good one. Briess from NCM costs $2.37/lb. to my door. On the other hand, if you are brewing DME/steeping grains, 50# is not that many batches. Keep the DME dry and it will store. . .I'm guessing a few batches from now, 50# won't seem like that much!

as I stated above...http://www.listermann.com/Store/Details.asp?ID=840

69.95/33 = $2.12 per pound for Briess LME

...and it's free shipping (if you spend 5 more dollars on something)

Yes but 1lb LME = .8 lbs DME

$2.12/.8 = 2.65 per pound equivalent of DME

$2.65-$2.36 (best price 50# DME) = diff of 29cents/pound

.29*50lbs = $14.50 difference over 10% difference in price
+added bonus of better long term storage.

And 50# won't last that long. 10 batches is only 2.5 months for me if I'm lucky.

I just ordered my first bag from NCM. 118 shipped to Virginia for 50 lbs. $2.44/lb is cheaper then any LME I've seen. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to worth with. I despise the clumpies it makes.

I was simply showing you/and him an example of LME at a good price. Also #33 is less then the #55 him didn't want.

33 pounds is only about 4-5.5 gallon batches (give or take). Shelf life isn't too big of an issue for most.

just an option...and no clumping when added :)

to each there own...

Where are you guys finding the DME on NCM's website? I'm searching through www.northcountrymalt.com under the Home Brewing section. I'm finding malt, but no extract. Do I have the wrong site or are you guys shopping as Commercial brewers? Thanks.

Back