Stupid grolsch Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virus692

Reaction score
So my friend bought a house and found some grolsch bottles in the basment... he gave them to me they are all 16 oz
7 brown ones
2 green ones
all have good glass and ceramic the wires are in good shape
they all just smell kind of musty and they need new gaskets
100_4933.jpg

my questions:
Can I use them for bottleing?
How in the *explicit* do I get the nasty smell out?
Where can get new gaskets(no LHBS)?

They should be perfect. I would just soak them in a cleaning solution for a couple hrs and see what that does. Make sure there is no crud or junk stuck inside the bottle. If there is you might have to use a bottle brush and soak the inside of the bottle. You can pick up the rubber (washers) at a local homebrew shop or purchase them online. I bought a bag with 20 or something for 2 bucks. They last a long time its worth it. Have fun brewing:mug:

So my friend bought a house and found some grolsch bottles in the basment... he gave them to me they are all 16 oz
7 brown ones
2 green ones
all have good glass and ceramic the wires are in good shape
they all just smell kind of musty and they need new gaskets
100_4933.jpg

my questions:
Can I use them for bottleing?
How in the *explicit* do I get the nasty smell out?
Where can get new gaskets(no LHBS)?

You can definitely use them for bottling. To get the smell out, soak them with Oxyclean Free and hot water for 24 hours - rinse out thoroughly.

You'll def want new gaskets - tons of places have them - 100 count for $7. Grolsh Gasket, red rubber like the originals 100 - Bottles by Stomp Them Grapes (my LHBS)

Yes, you can use them for bottling. Alternatively, you could just send them to me, because I would love to get a hold of some swing-tops. They don't sell Grolsch in anything but 12oz bottles here, and no swingers.

Fill them with water and oxyclean, let that soak for 24-48 hours. That should get the smell out.

You can get replacement gaskets from Midwest Supplies in 25 or 100 packs. Here's the page.

Yes, you can use them for bottling. Alternatively, you could just send them to me, because I would love to get a hold of some swing-tops. They don't sell Grolsch in anything but 12oz bottles here, and no swingers.

Fill them with water and oxyclean, let that soak for 24-48 hours. That should get the smell out.

You can get replacement gaskets from Midwest Supplies in 25 or 100 packs. Here's the page.

I will send you 1 if you want to send me Edwart Applewine...:mug: the bottle I send you would contain Maine Sailboat Fuel.
:D

I will send you 1 if you want to send me Edwart Applewine...:mug: the bottle I send you would contain Maine Sailboat Fuel.
:D

I am totally down with this! Senor Llama doesn't really want your Grolsch anyway. My Apfelwein is far superior to his!!!!!!!!!!!

these bottles are invaluable! My LHBS has a guy get them from a bar and she sells them for $1 apiece at her shop. They're a great size, look awesome and are fun to play with when getting buzzed.. oh yeah and they look cool :p I usually just run them through the dishwasher upside down (found out recently its a good idea to remove the clip part when in the wash.. dont know if it matters a ton maybe rust at some point?).. I figure thats how I wash dishes I eat from and drink out of.

EDIT: I didn't realize the smell factor..one dishwasher run may not cut it.

I am totally down with this! Senor Llama doesn't really want your Grolsch anyway. My Apfelwein is far superior to his!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh, it's all yours. I'm a little OCD when it comes to bottling... my bottles have to match. There's just something sexy about a nice row of 50 Guinness bottles all filled with HB. :tank:

Back