looking for a summer beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
Well, spring is here and summer is not that far off so it is time for me to start thinking about brewing a summer beer. I am going to be away the whole month of April and when i return would like to start a summer brew which would make it ready by the middle of June. Anybody have suggestions?
I was thinking something light, maybe a wheat beer. Any vanilla weizen receipes?

kevy_kev said:
Well, spring is here and summer is not that far off so it is time for me to start thinking about brewing a summer beer. I am going to be away the whole month of April and when i return would like to start a summer brew which would make it ready by the middle of June. Anybody have suggestions?
I was thinking something light, maybe a wheat beer. Any vanilla weizen receipes?

Are you AG or extract?

I know Homebrew Heaven has a vanilla wheat recipe that a buddy of mine brewed up and loved.

But you can't go wrong with a nice wit or a hefe. I'm doing an American wheat right now for the same reason. I need summer to come.

Dude said:
Are you AG or extract?

I know Homebrew Heaven has a vanilla wheat recipe that a buddy of mine brewed up and loved.

But you can't go wrong with a nice wit or a hefe. I'm doing an American wheat right now for the same reason. I need summer to come.
I hear ya Dude. For some reason this winter was too much for me.

I brewed a honey ale a few weeks back. I should be tasting it soon. Maybe this weekend. I'm hoping it will be my lawn mower beer. I will post my evaluation of it next week. If it turned out I will brew more for the summer.

kevy_kev said:
sorry, I meant to mention I am an Extract Brewer.

Then I'd definitley check out the kit from Homebrew heaven

vwlabel1.jpg

RichBrewer said:
I brewed a honey ale a few weeks back. I should be tasting it soon. Maybe this weekend.

You wouldn't happen to have an extract recipe for that would you? I love Sleeman's Honey Brown (it's a lager) but I think a Honey Ale sounds great for summer.

Kevin

Kevin K said:
You wouldn't happen to have an extract recipe for that would you? I love Sleeman's Honey Brown (it's a lager) but I think a Honey Ale sounds great for summer.

Kevin
I can convert it for you later when I get home.

OK. Here is the extract recipe version of what I brewed . You could substitute 3 1/2 pounds of DME for the LME. If you want a little more maltiness maybe use 60L Crystal and add 1/2 pound Carapils malt. You can steep the grains in 2 1/2 gallons of 152° water for about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove the grains, add your extract, and brew on. The recipe as shown below ferments out pretty dry because of the honey.
I'll let you know how it tastes maybe this weekend.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.00
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.02
Anticipated SRM: 5.3
Anticipated IBU: 19.3
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
28.6 2.00 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
64.3 4.50 lbs. Muntons LME - Extra Light England 1.037 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 12.8 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 6.5 30 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

If you don't mind sharing I've been thinking about a summer brew too... Was thinking about something berry-ish but yours might just hit the spot better and not get tiresome as quickly as a berry would. And of course, a good "lawnmower brew" would be more than welcome.

I too will be in the extract realm for a bit...

:mug: Ize

Ize said:
If you don't mind sharing I've been thinking about a summer brew too... Was thinking about something berry-ish but yours might just hit the spot better and not get tiresome as quickly as a berry would. And of course, a good "lawnmower brew" would be more than welcome.

I too will be in the extract realm for a bit...

:mug: Ize
See the previous post. :mug:

Back