DISS oxygen outlet adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
Piecing together my oxygen setup and it's all come down to finding this adapter.

I got a 20 cu ft welding oxygen tank and this CGA-540 medical regulator from ebay.

I got the Williams Brewing stainless oxygen wand with attached 2 micron stone, and I'll be using 3/16" ID hose.

My only problem now is connecting the hose to the regulator. Being a medical regulator I've learned it's a DISS type outlet. I've found what I need – Female DISS to 1/4" hose barb adapter – but it's proven mighty difficult to get a hold of one.

Anyone dealt with this?

I just ordered some of these for the time being, and also spoke with the person on the phone at this place and ordered one (she was out of stock, but is ordering more) for a more permanent solution.

I am in the exact same boat! Got my tank from AirGas, regulator from Amazon. Didn't realize it didn't have the means to connect the hose...had never heard of DISS....just know that nothing at Lowe's works. :(

I've been driving all around medical suppliers in my town. No luck. Best so far http://www.dremed.com/ a veterinary supply company - about $15.

Did the cheap plastic one you reference above arrive? Does it fit and work? I saw these on another site but they were packs of 25 with lots of shipping.

I need 1/4" hose barb.

I got a fitting from the welding supply shop, where I got the O2 tanks from, that worked. Got it from the threaded fitting on the regulator to a 3/16" barb, in brass. Simply take the regulator (and hose you plan to use, or just use standard 3/16" Belvex) to AirGas (or your local supply store) and get them to provide you with the fitting. Mine was maybe $1.50 each, in BRASS. As in, will never break (like plastic can/will).

See picture I just took of one of my O2 regulators setup this way. BTW, I'm pretty sure this is a standard fitting type for gas welding. Which is why the supply store has them.

O2_regulator_for_brewing.jpg

DISS= diameter index safety system. We use them in the medical field to make sure oxygen stays with oxygen and NOT the other medical gases that we use throughout the hospital (ie. CA, heliox, NO, etc). Each fitting has a different diameter so they won't fit in other outlets. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of the 1/4" to hose barb adapters laying around (aluminum is what we use with that regulator).

@stevescott – the plastic pieces arrived and they indeed fit and will get the job done until I can track down the metal piece. I ordered six pieces and paid about $15 shipped.

I called the local AirGas because I saw the metal piece I need on their website, but he didn't have it in stock and said it could take a couple of weeks to get it.

I called the welding shop where I get my tank fills and they didn't know what I was talking about and said I'd need to get a new regulator.

NO! I WANT to flow at 1 LPM!

So AirGas should at least be able to special order the piece, as well as the second link in my second post above.

If you need one (and want to pay the shipping) I can send you a couple. I have the green plastic (which should last a LONG time unless you abuse the crap out of it) or the aluminum ones that will fit if you remove the current DISS fitting.

image-1462583159.jpg

I got my fittings from a welding supplier down in Milford (Maine Oxy) that had the fitting in stock, on hand, and they're open on Saturday's (8am-noon). If you care, the address is: 47 Sumner St, Milford, MA 01757.

@stevescott – the plastic pieces arrived and they indeed fit and will get the job done until I can track down the metal piece. I ordered six pieces and paid about $15 shipped.

I called the local AirGas because I saw the metal piece I need on their website, but he didn't have it in stock and said it could take a couple of weeks to get it.

I called the welding shop where I get my tank fills and they didn't know what I was talking about and said I'd need to get a new regulator.

NO! I WANT to flow at 1 LPM!

So AirGas should at least be able to special order the piece, as well as the second link in my second post above.

If you need one (and want to pay the shipping) I can send you a couple. I have the green plastic (which should last a LONG time unless you abuse the crap out of it) or the aluminum ones that will fit if you remove the current DISS fitting.

View attachment 86058
Garyr I sent you a PM about this. Thanks! Meantime I guess I'll call in at Airgas again though I'm not worried about a plastic fitting breaking when I'm going to use it for 1 minute 6 times a year. I just want a fitting! Who knew it'd be such a headache?

The set up in Golddiggie's pic doesn't look like mine. Did you remove the supplied DISS completely or is there some other piece in there?

BTW having researched DISS I fully understand the safety reasons behind it. What I don't get is why finding one has to be such a huge PITA.Even the guy in the recommended medical supply store shook his head while audibly exhaling...

Garyr I sent you a PM about this. Thanks! Meantime I guess I'll call in at Airgas again though I'm not worried about a plastic fitting breaking when I'm going to use it for 1 minute 6 times a year. I just want a fitting! Who knew it'd be such a headache?

It was super-easy for me. Not sure why it's such a pain for you. Must be another difference between where you are and I am.

BTW, I plan to brew as close to the legal limit as possible each year. So that's about 16-20 batches, a year.

Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas baby. Enough said.

I brew when I've emptied enough bottles. Where I come from - UK - there is no legal limit. But even if I brewed 20 times a year at a minute of O2 per that's hardly stressing the fitting. Somebody stop me when I stray off topic here... all I want is a f***ing fitting for my next brew.

Ill go to AirGas unless Garyr gets back to me first.

I use the plastic christmas tree on my medical regulator with a nasal cannula cut off with the diffusion stone at the end

I used one of those fittings the first time. Used a clamp on the hose (I might be a bit paranoid about gas leaks, so sue me :eek:) and heard it go *crunch* as I tightened the clamp. :eek: I replaced it with the brass fitting shortly after. The brass one was far cheaper than the plastic one. Go figure. :drunk:

I screwed on the plastic one and attached 3/16" bev hose to my stone/wand. No leaks that I could tell when I ran the gas without a clamp.

I have a metal one on the way from gasmedix.com for a few bucks.

Yeah, there was nowhere local for me to snag one of these. Weird …

You don't need a clamp with them (especially if you use the right tubing).

Well, I used Bevlex 3/16" ID tubing since that's what mates up to my William's O2 wand. It's what I had on hand and it does a great job (to the wand)...

BTW, I'm going to be seeing if I can make a wand that has a threaded (female) fitting on the end. That way you can use any air stone you like, provided it has an 1/4" MFL thread connection. You can get those from different vendors easily. That way, you can drop it into a pot of boiling water, or toss it if it gets too nasty and just connect up another one to the wand. :D If the first attempt works, I'll be looking to see if anyone else is interested in it, or not.

Diffusion stone is 1/4, tubing is 1/4...I therefore requested 1/4 hose barb.

Stones I'm using are on the William's wand, which is 3/16" OD. I have some wand blanks that I'll be working on, to use with standard MFL fitted stones. Even though those are all 1/4" MFL, the wand is 3/16" and the hose I have is 3/16" ID. Doesn't matter much since you can put 3/16" hose on 1/4" barbs, you just need to warm/soften the hose first. :eek:

nice! yesterday i just got mine in the mail from gasmedix.com – stainless steel. couple of bucks for one. i also have several of the plastic christmas tree ones that worked well in the meantime.

i think the gasmedix one is 1/4" barb, but i think i can manage to get my 3/16" ID hose on it.

I was looking for the same fitting for my medical regulator. I ended up taking the regulator apart and drilling the hole out and rethreading it with 1/8NPT, then used a 1/8npt to 1/4" barb. If I knew it would have only be $3 at the welding supply I would have gone that route, but I got it working.

Back