Hose and barb sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Can you guys explain how ones goes about deciding whats the best size for your hoses/barbs? My initial thoughts are bigger is better when you don't mind aeration.. ie 1/2in for transferring cooled wort from brew kettle to fermenter. Smaller (3/8in) would be better when transferring hot liquids and where aeration would be a problem.. ie from HLT to MLT or MLT to BK. Is this along the right lines? Where and what sizes does everyone else use? Thanks

If you're using a pump you want the largest opening possible. The less restriction you have going into your pump the better and then you can gate down on the output side to control flow. I used 1/2" everywhere but had some slight cavitation issues. Just switched to " full bore" 1/2" fittings and brewed twice with no more cavitation problems.

If you're using a pump you want the largest opening possible. The less restriction you have going into your pump the better and then you can gate down on the output side to control flow. I used 1/2" everywhere but had some slight cavitation issues. Just switched to " full bore" 1/2" fittings and brewed twice with no more cavitation problems.

Why do I see most MLT coolers with 3/8 inch fittings then? I don't believe I even seen one with 1/2 inch?

Why do I see most MLT coolers with 3/8 inch fittings then? I don't believe I even seen one with 1/2 inch?

Here ya go.
cooler_bulkhead_01_sm.jpg

Still, on the other side of that valve, there's a 1/2" coupling to a hose barb for the 1/2" ID tubing to the 1/2" elbow through the FB, and that hose barb ID is clearly not 1/2"...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Here ya go.

Still, on the other side of that valve, there's a 1/2" coupling to a hose barb for the 1/2" ID tubing to the 1/2" elbow through the FB, and that hose barb ID is clearly not 1/2"...

Cheers!

Sexy. What's that piece in the end... A QD? Did you need to drill in that Rubbermaid?

Mind sharing the parts list for that setup since I'm looking to do the same thing. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/help-me-my-cooler-conversion-320815/

If you're using a pump then 1/2" ID is a good idea. If you're gravity draining, I found that you need to have tubing as small or small than your pickup tube ID in the kettle or it won't pull the liquid all the way to the bottom. I had a 3/8" copper pickup and 1/2" ID drain hose and it would quit when it got to the level of the valve. HAving the tubing full of liquid pulls a siphon that keeps it draining till there liquid falls below the intake of the pickup.

Sexy. What's that piece in the end... A QD? Did you need to drill in that Rubbermaid?

Mind sharing the parts list for that setup since I'm looking to do the same thing. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/help-me-my-cooler-conversion-320815/

I started with an all-stainless cooler conversion that included the valve, coupler, close nipple, three big SS washers and an o-ring. I'm pretty sure it was sold by Morebeer but I couldn't find that kit on their web site today. The closest I could find is this[ but this kit comes with a brass lock nut where mine is stainless. The nut in my kit also has the machined o-ring groove which I feel is the key to it working so reliably. Hopefully the manufacturer is still using the same type of nut.

On the inside I have an ss 1/2" barb to a section of 1/2" Tygon tubing to an ss elbow through the 12" domed ss false bottom.

The cooler did not require any drilling, the 1/2" nipple was a snug fit. I did have to grind the outside diameter of the ss washers so they would nestle flat in the recessed area around the outlet hole. The assembled coupler and valve is very tight and has never leaked.

That piece on the end is the male side of a camlock QD. All of my hoses have the female ends, my vessels, pumps and plate chiller have the male ends...

Cheers!

I use a large thick silicone flat gasket in my weldless kits which doesn't care about the oring groove in the locknut (mine have it anyway). The round beverage coolers already have a 13/16" hole in their bulkhead area as do a lot of rectangular coolers.

Back